Apple starts online sales of Retina iPad mini, no in-store pickup as supply already tight

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85
    As news travels it will be interest to see how this is reported. I got the 128GB Space Gray T Mobile LTE around a half hour after it was available. Had trouble deciding if I should get engraved or not. Decide to do for security purposes. Minutes flew by and Apple did not recognize as a customer and I sign on as a guest to make the purchase but Apple caught it just during the bill to section.
  • Reply 42 of 85
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

Just ordered a 32GB T-Mobile version. It is supposed to arrive between November 26th and December 4th.

• Reply 43 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I wonder if they will be available in the store at all.

It might be like the iPhone 5s was the first month. I also see that Apple has the holiday theme on their website. The person at the store also told me yesterday that the January 7th return date is already in effect.

My guess is that the silent release is a key to how constrained supplies really are. 

• Reply 44 of 85
    Well while reading the discussion I think that the problem is not the tight suply but incredible demand for this thing...

And I'm not buying the mini,no suply in my country ;)
  • Reply 45 of 85

Perhaps the silent 11/12/13 online-only launch (lucky day!) is intended to throw off the "resellers" It's been 4 hours since launch and the shipping times haven't budged. How quickly the 16 and 32GB Wi-Fi models shift to 5-10 business days and the other models shift to "December" should be a hint as to the supply. If it is by the end of today or even this week, then it means that demand far outstrips supply.

• Reply 46 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sachin654 View Post

Apple relesed IPhone 6 image.Did you see it ,if not see here http://imgdino.com/viewer.php?file=80198577703430724967.jpg

At least put the Apple logo around the right way!

• Reply 47 of 85
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

The resellers have been burned by the iPad so many times now. They say they only want the gold iPhone when I walked by a line of people outside the Apple Store on my way to the gym this morning.

• Reply 48 of 85
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Still, good for Apple that they have high standards for their components.

Are you kidding? There’s probably a thread already filling up in Apple’s discussion forums with people bitching about yellow tint, battery life, Wi-Fi, iOS 7’s icons, scratches, screen size, memory management, apps that won’t work, and a million other things. A few have already dropped their retina minis and expect a free replacement and are going ballistic when told accidental damage isn’t covered by the warranty and they didn’t buy extended Applecare because they shouldn’t have to.  

And all of them are whining about how Steve is dead and Apple is going down the tubes and what happened to QA and don’t they test this stuff before they release it, and the retina mini is EPIC FAIL!

<extreme, angry sarcasm> I got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

• Reply 49 of 85
    Uh there's no in store pickup because there are no units yet in stores. They never allow you to order ahead and pick up in store on a major product like this when it first launches, if ever. Units will likely ship to the stores and arrive in this same window of 5-10 days. And yes it's possible that they won't announce a day for in store to start as a way to try to slow down the resellers.

Ie, supplies may have nothing to do with it.
  • Reply 50 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Now, if only I had a reason to get one!

Between the iPhone 5S and the iPad Air, I don't think I can justify a use case scenario for the Retina Mini.  Oh well.  :)

I have the same things. But my justification are my kids. Basically, I sold my original iPad 16gb wifi for $200 to Target.  And I'm selling some old iPhones to Gazelle. Selling that old hardware reduces my cost to less than $100(including smart cover).

It's been said before...Apple hardware really holds on to its value!

• Reply 51 of 85
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    I'm an Apple fan too, but all you guys are hilarious. You're all slobbering so much over the new minis that you're tripping over your own tongues!
  • Reply 52 of 85

32GB Space Grey & 16GB Silver ordered.  

• Reply 53 of 85
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Well looks like no one is in line. Im going to Apple Store at 9.
  • Reply 54 of 85

Ordered 16GB space gray T-Mo @ 4:50am MST, delivery between 11/26 and 12/4. I'm going to try using this as a replacement for my current iPhone 4 (using Google Voice and Talkatone for phone calls and normal SMS). I work from home and don't travel much so will be interesting to see how it all works out. This will be my first iPad.

• Reply 55 of 85
    I just went to the Knox store in Dallas (which opens at 8 AM every day) and no one was there waiting for the new iPad Mini. Someone who works for Apple was walking in and after checking inside, he let me know that there we no units available and when the store did receive units, that they are strictly doing in-store pickup only. So none available to people just walking into the stores. He said to just keep checking online today/this week.
  • Reply 56 of 85
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    thehecta wrote: »
    I just went to the Knox store in Dallas (which opens at 8 AM every day) and no one was there waiting for the new iPad Mini. Someone who works for Apple was walking in and after checking inside, he let me know that there we no units available and when the store did receive units, that they are strictly doing in-store pickup only. So none available to people just walking into the stores. He said to just keep checking online today/this week.

Good to know- thanks!

I'm wanting to get it at best buy ($300 in gift cards)- this doesn't bode well...
  • Reply 57 of 85
    128GB space gray Verizon at processing stage
  • Reply 58 of 85
    gamringamrin Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Ordered 16GB space gray T-Mo @ 4:50am MST, delivery between 11/26 and 12/4. I'm going to try using this as a replacement for my current iPhone 4 (using Google Voice and Talkatone for phone calls and normal SMS). I work from home and don't travel much so will be interesting to see how it all works out. This will be my first iPad.

This is exactly what I do with the current iPad mini. Talkatone is acceptable for the few voice calls I get, though everything you hear has about a quarter-second delay. I'd recommend you get a Bluetooth earpiece or headphones with mic, as the speaker on the iPad mini doesn't do well in noisy environments. Just note that you *can't* answer a call or hang up remotely; you have to do so by actually touching the "Call/End Call" button on your iPad mini. Apple needs to release its phone APIs.

On topic, I just ordered the Space Gray 36GB Verizon version. Shipping time said it'll get here by December 4.

• Reply 59 of 85
    adonissmu wrote: »
    i dont care what anyone else thinks about me. They like getting the Apple toys i give them.

Buy them Galaxy tablets and they'll turn on you like werewolves.

I got the 16gb wifi space grey retina mini. Ships in 2 days. We'll see if my wife will trade me for her 32GB iPad 3 retina wifi . . .

Saw the Mac Pro is still unavailable for order, but it's "only" $2700 with my wife's student discount. . . =-o
  • Reply 60 of 85
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Now, if only I had a reason to get one!

Between the iPhone 5S and the iPad Air, I don't think I can justify a use case scenario for the Retina Mini.  Oh well.  :)

ipad mini on the go with the 5s and the ipad air stays at home. :p  

I will get each ones but its for 2 people, my wife and me.