First Look: Apple's iPad mini with Retina display

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Most of the comments I read about the Retina iPad Mini on other sites is how someone can get a Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire for half the price that's just as good. WTF?!! I'm pretty certain that most consumers must feel this way but certainly not everyone. The day I look at a Porsche Boxster and say to myself I can get a Toyota Matrix for one-third the price that's just as good, I'm thinking of shooting myself. Why does the price come up every time they make some product comparison? Consumers usually get what they pay for. A Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire is nothing like this Retina iPad Mini because they're on a completely different platform and this Apple-branded product will hold it's value far longer than any Android product. Anyway, consumers should buy what they can afford and if they can't afford to buy Apple products then that's their loss. That Retina iPad Mini looks to be a fine model of advanced engineering.

Apple makes nice products, but they are expensive.  There are some uses where paying more is justified (music production and some special needs educational apps come to mind).  There are other general purpose uses (e-reader, casual games) where they are just overpriced. Consider this:

The upgrade from 16 GB to 32 GB is $40 on the Nexus 7 and $100 on the Retina Mini ... That's just memory.

The upgrade from Wi-fi only to LTE is $80 on the Nexus 7 and $130 on the Retina Mini ... That's $110 more (nearly double) for 2 identical features.

Bottom Line:  I would pay more for Apple products, but have never been able to justify paying double.

• Reply 42 of 51

Wow... I like that.

• Reply 43 of 51
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

No it doesn't. A bunch of dishonest little blowhard chihuahuas on MacRumors and The Verge are trying to spread the idea that the colors are washed out, but they are not washed out on mine.

But go ahead and join in the yapping if you feel you need to.

So you think they faked the picture just for lulz? Even if they did, have you seen any more objective testing of the color gamut? 

• Reply 44 of 51
    Quote:

No it doesn't. A bunch of dishonest little blowhard chihuahuas on MacRumors and The Verge are trying to spread the idea that the colors are washed out, but they are not washed out on mine.

But go ahead and join in the yapping if you feel you need to.

And in fact now I can prove you wrong

So the original comparison seems about right. So you keep yapping if you want. 

http://tablets.reviewed.com/content/ipad-mini-with-retina-display-tablet-review/the-science

• Reply 45 of 51
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Yep, [B]tipoo[/B] old bean, looks like your unsubstantiated parroting got some underpinning there. This guy Chris seems impeccable.

Next time I go to the Apple store, I'll be checking it out with my own eyes, admittedly not objective instruments.

I hope others will be following up on this as well. To be continued.

Edit: I see you have a smug little comment on The Verge attributing this color issue to Apple's regard for its "margins." Along with its "binned lower" processors for the mini. You don't know that, you have no right to say it (under the norms of decency in communication), and so deserve another lashing in advance until you are lucky enough to come up with some more "proof."
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Quote:

Yep, tipoo old bean, looks like your unsubstantiated parroting got some underpinning there. This guy Chris seems impeccable.

Next time I go to the Apple store, I'll be checking it out with my own eyes, admittedly not objective instruments.

I hope others will be following up on this as well. To be continued.

Edit: I see you have a smug little comment on The Verge attributing this color issue to Apple's regard for its "margins." Along with its "binned lower" processors for the mini. You don't know that, you have no right to say it (under the norms of decency in communication), and so deserve another lashing in advance until you are lucky enough to come up with some more "proof."

You're right, they must have deliberately paid the manufacturer to make the screen with a lower gamut, so they were actually reducing their own margins with the inferior display. 

And the processor /is/ the same part as the 5S, which is binned for 1.3GHz. 

So sore over being proven wrong? I love when people grasp at straws after they are.

Unsubstantiated parroting, hah. That's what you were doing, as at least my first post had some proof behind it which was now proven further. 

I can already predict what your own eyes will see, and the one thing you are right about is them not being an objective measure. 

• Reply 47 of 51
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

And in fact now I can prove you wrong

So the original comparison seems about right. So you keep yapping if you want. 

http://tablets.reviewed.com/content/ipad-mini-with-retina-display-tablet-review/the-science

The one aspect of those sorts of articles that always leave me with an itch is they close to never state how many units they used for their plot, and this one doe not that I see. And as anyone in the measurement game knows without multiple samples all you've got is anecdote with numbers. How many measurements (so is the measurement repeatable) and how many different units (so is the measured data statistically significant as a representation of the population of units). It's somewhat funny: they start out with "The Science" yet actually do not present anything "scientific": not error bars showing the spread of their measurements, no mention of how multiple samples of the devices behaved relative to each other…  That subtitle would be better as "The Anecdote".

Better than nothing, but close to that given N-1 is the usual practise ….

• Reply 48 of 51

Stumbled across exactly the one I wanted at Best Buy today.  Added a Logitech keyboard cover.

This thing is awesome, so much more portable than my old broken iPad2.

Retina is not hyped.  The resolution on this is awesome.

• Reply 49 of 51

I bought an iPad Mini 2 and I am very disappointed. I also recently purchased an iPad Air and noticed a distinct difference when playing Clash of Clans. The most significant difference was that the lavender walls appeared washed out on the iPad mini 2. I couldn't believe it. So I pulled up the same scenario on my iPad Air and the colors were rich and sharp. I then turned on my old iPad 4th gen which also has a retina screen and it's appearance nearly mimicked the quality of my iPad Air. The mini 2 which also has the retina screen looked pretty bad. If you want more examples, just request some. I also took screenshots from a good website and noticed large differences.

Looking at that photo you posted, I feel that it does not represent the differences accurately. There is an enormous difference between them. Even the 4th generation iPad's display blows the mini 2's out of the water. I snapped a couple of photos to show the differences. It is easy to see and even easier to see in person. The mini 2's speed is great, however the screen is just plain disappointing!

Note the Score in Purple below. It is faded and washed out on the mini 2.

Note the purple and greens. Much richer on the iPad Air (left)

• Reply 50 of 51
    Quote:

So you think they faked the picture just for lulz? Even if they did, have you seen any more objective testing of the color gamut? 

If anything, the pictures were under-exaggerated! My mini 2 looks washed out next to my iPad Air and 4th gen iPad. 

• Reply 51 of 51
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So the AP published a review of the mini. In the first paragraph they say only Apple could get away with a price increase. Hmmm...I could have sworn the 2nd gen Nexus 7 also went up in price. Am I wrong about that? Anyway the conclusion of their review is if you don't need the very best get a Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire, but if you can afford the retina mini go for it.

The 2nd Gen Nexus 7 went up only $20 in price. Regardless, the Nexus 7 costs quite a bit less than the iPad mini 2. However the mini 2 is definitely worth the extra money over the mini.