Slowdown in Apple TV shipments suggests full-size television delayed to 2015

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

local maxima.

the difference between 'apps' and 'channels' is the need for a common taxonomy and search lexicon.   The problem with 'TV' (vs music vs apps) is that I want bits and pieces of all the content as a consumer.   Having BBC build an App makes for a silly balkanization (like having 30 different Set top boxes inside of one that is beside another, and that connects to a device that can get Over the Air content as well).

What we all really want is

Me: "Watch most recent Downton Abbey"

SiriTV:  "I have found you several options:  

[ ] BBJ is showing Season 4, for free at high resolution  Season 4, Episode [10] is available now"

[ ]"You bought Netflix which has seasons 1 and 2 and 3 "   Season 2, Episode [11] is available now"

[ ]This seasons Episode 5 is available from Hulu Plus for $2.99   Season 5 Episode [5]"

[ ] Episode 6 of this years Downton Abbey shows live tomorrow on WBBJ on your ComCast cable TV channel 235 at 8pm,  do you want a reminder [Season 5 Ep 6]?"

Anything less is not what apple wants to sell you, as it just continues the current mess.   BBC has to agree to allow Apple to mine it's content, and agree to in-app purchases, and likely agree to a few other things (quality, show editing, advertising etc).

I have apps from many vendors on my Mac, yet spotlight is able to search those. Could they not make a more sophisticated search, if all content is say, XLM, to pull channel data? 

• Reply 22 of 27

At this point, I doubt Apple is creating an TV, with so many high-end smart sets, they probably do better with the Apple TV. Plus, margins are really thin in the TV set world are they not? 

• Reply 23 of 27
    At this point, I doubt Apple is creating an TV, with so many high-end smart sets, they probably do better with the Apple TV. Plus, margins are really thin in the TV set world are they not? 

Yes.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member

I think the watch will be the TV controller.

• Reply 25 of 27
    palegolas wrote: »
    I think the watch will be the TV controller.

The odds favor a health monitor over a TV remote, IMO...
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Do nae care about some rumoured TV panel, just update the ATV puck asap, please, Apple.

update it to do what exactly? serve as an ibeacon? improve the processor speed? (to what end? where's the benefit?)

I'd rather they spend some quality time integrating the remote features into iOS 7 and allowing us to access it via the slide up menu from the bottom as we would air drop or air play when those are available. it takes a bit too much effort getting the app to load... then waiting for it to resolve where it wants to connect... then clicking on the one it wants to connect to... then finally getting to the remote app where you then have to click YET AGAIN on something to get the controller up for apple tv. That could be simplified into one step

• Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I agree! BBC and SKY for F1....

This would be one of the primary reasons I'd absolutely love to get the BBC (and/or Sky) app. But being an American, I'm sure that NBCSports and Bernie would prevent me from watching anything more than GP3 races.

But to be honest, since it seems that about 99.9% of American television is now devoted to semi-retarded reality TV, I would be anxious to open my options up to any and all European programming. I've been watching the political drama, Borgen, on LinkTV for about a month now. I know nothing about Denmark or Danish politics and I don't speak Danish (and I have to admit, it's not a language that's exactly pleasant to my ears). But with subtitles and the occasional use of English, at least it's a show that doesn't go out of its way to insult my intelligence as a viewer.

If done right, the AppleTV could become the modern day version of those giant satellite dishes that used to allow people to get programming from all over the world - and move away from programming that is truly just meant for the least common denominators among us. Even if I couldn't watch F1, WEC, WRC or Le Mans races, just having some international options would be enough to make me buy the device and any associated apps.