Historic Apple II DOS source code now available to download

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 42
    Yes and no!

I had worked for IBM for 14+ years in 1978. My wife, Lucy, let me buy an Apple ][ for my 39th birthday.

At that time, really, there was no mature discipline known as "Computer Science". My first real programming class was on the IBM 650 in 1958. They didn't really have compilers back then -- about the most advanced construct was a symbolic assembler. My early training was learning to program the "Indian problem" in the native assembly (machine) language of various computers.

My first job programming job (age 21) was for Lockheed in 1960 -- they were planning to install an IBM 1401 to replace 3 IBM 407 unit record accounting machines. There were no compilers, at first... RPG came later.

When I went to work for IBM in 1963 (age 24) there was a ForTran compiler for scientific machines. But business programming was mostly still done in assembly language. The most advanced constructs were FIOS (File I/O Systems and TOS (Tape Operating Systems). CoBOL and AlgoL compilers were in development and would soon gain widespread use. There were no disk drives or dumb terminals in wide use.

When I left IBM in 1979, it was partly because: I was 40; I wanted to be my own boss and I saw the Apple ][ as a vehicle.

Likely, at that time, "Computer Science" was being taught and learned... We all benefit from that.

I maintain that we also benefitted from the mature, seasoned, businessmen like Mike Markkula, Scottie, Gene Carter, Wil Houd... They gave the business of computing the attention that they deserved.

BTW, I was in the room when Steve Jobs said: "Never trust anyone over 40"... I was 40.

Great story, thanks for sharing. Makes me feel nostalgic too. I was 29 when I borrowed the money from my dad to set up an Apple ][ Dealership in England having been exposed to them briefly by the head of the medical physics department at the local University. I just knew it was my future and destiny and I resign my job as head of the science department where I worked without a moments hesitation. I leapt into an unknown void without a single doubt in my mind or backward glance. I never regretted it once and have enjoyed the ride, right up to today as I ponder over a 4 or 6 core Mac Pro to play Trainz on :).

Yes, when we opened our dealership, 3 of us put in $20,000 each and made an Application to Apple. Myself and one other were full-time IBM employees who planned on holding our current jobs -- just in case...

When Apple reviewed our Dealership Application, they setup a meeting. Sue Wardy a very attractive and pleasant Apple rep conducted the meeting. Sue told us that Apple was interested, but they thought we were under-financed -- saying that they were only accepting applications that had a minimum of $125,000. They were willing to approve us if we found someone would who would co-sign for us. My cohort Jim and I both had very well-paying jobs at IBM (noted on the application). I suspect our salaries were a lot higher than Sue's (and most Apple employees).

Anyway, I told Sue that our combined 28 + computer marketing experience should be taken into consideration. Then, I asked Sue: "Since Jim and I both have high-paying jobs -- couldn't we co-sign for ourselves?".

Startled, Sue said that she didn't know and "Let me go ask!". She returned in a few minutes with the approved application... That's the only time in my life I ever co-signed for myself ;)
    gatorguy
  • Reply 42 of 42
    There's one small error in the article. You wrote:
      After just a few weeks of coding, Apple II DOS 3.2 was released in June 1978.

However, the first released version (
    June 1978) was Apple II DOS 3.1. The confusion may have arisen because that first version didn't have any manual included. I experienced this, since I was working as a tech at the Computerland Sydney Australia store when I bought one of the first imported DOS 3.1, controller and 2 drives. No manual!
    It was only later, in 1979, when DOS 3.2 was released that it came with a manual. There doesn't seem to have ever been a version 3.1 manual.

They got it right at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_DOS
    Currently I'm trying to find what month in 1979 Ver 3.2 was released.