Apple's rumored 'iWatch' said to have different screen sizes for men, women

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77

That's what they said about the ipad. Don't underestimate.

• Reply 22 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Strix View Post

At present, can't think why I would want one

But

As usual I am prepared to be convinced.

I know EXACTLY what you mean!

Before a Mac and iPhone I saw no need for these in my life. Until, I got to use one and suddenly it all changed. Especially iPhone (as it was my first Apple product)!

When I swapped to iPhone I must admit I felt a little limited in what it did etc, but it WORKED. The more updates and iOSs they release the more pleased I am. I now have iPhone 4s and saving for 5s. But 6 seems to be the magic number! Should I wait?

I still can't see the form factor of iWatch in front of me. It will really have to be a gamechanger of a product to succeed. Like  Strix said, I am prepared to be convinced.

• Reply 23 of 77

I want one

• Reply 24 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Those are impressive figures!  1.6 million $10,000 watches every year (or 16 million $1,000 watches)?  The mind boggles.

I thought the movie industry was larger?

http://www.ibisworld.com/industry/global/global-movie-production-distribution.html

• Reply 26 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

There are only a few million people who buy luxury watches in the world. But they also are the wealthiest.

The LUXURY watch market ALONE - lead by Rolex and Omega - is a $16 BILLION market.

This is larger than the movie industry. And this is close to the size of the video game market.

As a NICHE market, it is substantial. The leaders only have to sell a few thousand watches. And the buyers are those Apple is interested in - the affluent consumers.

And if Apple were able to generalize the sales to a larger set of consumers - to include sport watches, Timex watches, etc., particularly with a higher price point similar to the iPod - then it stands to make a substantial amount of money.

Certainly it is a potentially LARGER amount of profit than Apple would gain from AppleTV.

This is the motivation behind the iWatch.

The business model for iWatch would be Swatch sent at least two notches up market.  Not as many people wear watches anymore, but of   those who do, a lot of them own more than one watch.  It is first and foremost a fashion item and people wear watches that match their whole outfit.   So figure a person (I'd like to say woman, but that's sexist :-) ) owns about as many watches as she has shoes. Or shoe categories: formal, sporty, casual, elegant, rugged, etc.

And before we just resign ourselves to accepting that not that many people wear watches anymore, just remember this is Apple, and they have the uncanny ability to make something that you never thought you'd need, indispensable.

• Reply 27 of 77
    [quote name="malax" url="/t/160712/ I used my iPhone maybe 50-100 times a day and make about 3 phone calls a week.
    [/quote]

Ditto here!
  • Reply 28 of 77
    Apple isn't going to release two different screen sizes segmented by sex. Silliness. iApparel will be Apple's second biggest business in due time, however. A combination of Fashion + Tech + biometrics will be the next big thing.
  • Reply 29 of 77
    The leaks may be a red herring, but I doubt the product is. There's going to be Apple iApparel of some kind.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    bandman999 wrote: »
    I'm still convinced the whole "iWatch" rumor is a ruse by Apple designed to get Samsung et al to waste resources developing something nobody really wants.

That, and also to trace and pin down the leak sources.
  • Reply 31 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I don't see it either. I think this is a niche market and too small to have any effect.

So were tablets.

• Reply 32 of 77
    Can AI check their logs to see if any Samsung-owned IP addresses are all over these iWatch stories? Curious.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I truly wish -- if the watch happens -- that Apple will de-genderize the categories to say "Large Wrist" and "Small Wrist." They can sell more watches, to large-wristed women and small-wrested men.

I could not agree with you more. It's baseless speculation -- and a little insulting -- that it'll be separated for genders. That's simply not helpful at all.

• Reply 34 of 77
    It's hard for me to see the "value added" of an Apple entry into the wearable tech fad. At best it offers a limited subset of what a phone offers with the only upside being closer at hand (literally). Not sure what Apple can add that's not already out there other than tight integration. Apple having been sandbagged, what they offer will be deemed a failure unless it takes the world by storm. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
  • Reply 35 of 77
    drewyboy wrote: »
    So were tablets.

Emphasis on were, as in "before iPad."
  • Reply 36 of 77
    Duh! Different sizes for men and women? That's just sensible marketing. Men's watches are usually larger than those for women, and it's men who like those huge G-Shock watches.

I wonder if gadget fatigue will soon set in. I recently consolidated the two iPhones I was carrying into one and found it delightful. One less device to worry about. This iWatch will mean yet another thing to remember when we go out. Some may say, "Why bother?"

Apple has to get a younger generation, many of who use their cell phone as a watch, to begin to wear watches again. And that's not dealing the fact that young adults soon be hit with outlandish (for their age) Obamacare payments on top of paying back those college loans and getting stuck in dead-end jobs for years after graduation.

Apple may need to change its marketing target from Young Actives at Play to Old Geezers with Money. Show them glancing at that iWatch as they board their private jets.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    I think one of the main problems with the watch is it takes both hands to use it. One to roll it over and in one to press a button. I've gotten used to my iPhone where I carry in one pocket with one hand and can do what I need to do … with one hand
  • Reply 38 of 77

Interesting!  And straight from the mouth of a mountain goat in Switzerland:  Rolex have decided to licence the iWatch from Apple.

• Reply 39 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

I wonder if gadget fatigue will soon set in. I recently consolidated the two iPhones I was carrying into one and found it delightful. One less device to worry about. This iWatch will mean yet another thing to remember when we go out. Some may say, "Why bother?"

Apple has to get a younger generation, many of who use their cell phone as a watch, to begin to wear watches again. And that's not dealing the fact that young adults soon be hit with outlandish (for their age) Obamacare payments on top of paying back those college loans and getting stuck in dead-end jobs for years after graduation.

Apple may need to change its marketing target from Young Actives at Play to Old Geezers with Money. Show them glancing at that iWatch as they board their private jets.

The iwatch modality will be the '.5' device... really the 'iphone shuffle' sort of  device.  Works in concert with your other devices, does a very specific set of ancillary jobs (my guess... think shuffle that can do M7 sort of data gathering, display imessage/calendar/notifications, and gather biotelemetry (HR, BP, ideally some blood electrolytes).   And talks to another iDevice via some lowpower BT or other network method when in range to sync up/xfer telemetry data and the next set of iRadio tunes for your workout.

It will be less 'another device' than 'an idevice enhancement unit'

• Reply 40 of 77

DisplaySearch knows their stuff and I would tend to believe them. 

However, the quote The "iWatch" is rumored to carry a wide array of biometric sensors, and many believe it will function as a stand-alone product, rather than be dependent upon another Apple device in the way Samsung's Galaxy Gear smartwatch is."  doesn't appear to be attributed to anyone.

The claim that it will function as a stand-alone device seems a bit far-fetched, unless it can't operate as a phone when in 'stand-alone' mode.  Anyone know who is making these claims and their validity?