Facebook Messenger adds phone number integration, gets visual overhaul

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Facebook on Wednesday rolled out an update to its iOS messaging platform and app with a new design in line with Apple's iOS 7, as well as a new feature that offers users the ability to locate people by their phone number.

Messenger

Facebook Messenger reached version 3.0 with its latest update, bringing a cleaner look for iOS 7 and revamped user interface. Most importantly, however, is the app's phone book integration, which allows users to find and send messages to people even if they are not "Facebook friends."

The system works by pairing phone numbers with Facebook Messenger accounts, meaning users can contact each other through the service despite not being associated on Facebook. It should be noted that, while phone numbers are used to locate users, no text messages are sent. All correspondence moves through Facebook's servers.

Users can add contacts more easily with the new feature, which automatically finds a friend's Messenger information with just a phone number.

With the new phone number-based user search capability, Facebook Messenger is treading on iMessage's turf, though Apple's service is much more robust, at least for iOS devices.

In addition to phone number searches, the latest Facebook app includes new in-app sounds and refreshed UI assets, like icons that appear next to friends' names when they are online.

Facebook Messenger comes in at 24.7MB and can be downloaded for free from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Looks kind of like iMessage
  • Reply 2 of 11
    These 'features' are so pathetic I wouldn't know where to begin.
  • Reply 3 of 11

Well, the good part? It is in line with iOS 7.

Hugely fast.

Bad part:

It also is in line with iOS 7 on Android.

You can find people by the phone number but now you can't send SMS on android. What?

• Reply 4 of 11
    Does this mean that now messenger is a stand alone service and that we no longer need Facebook active?

This could mean I can finally deactivate Facebook since the only use I have for it right now is chatting.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    iMessage needs an Android version.
  • Reply 6 of 11

I used to give Facebook Messenger 5 stars, now they only get 1 star from me.  How do I log out?  My children also use my tablet and now they can't log in to their own Facebook accounts to chat and I realy don't want them to look at my messages either.  How do you log out and log in with another Facebook account?  Also what is this showing my cellphone number, I don't want stawkers to see my phone number.

• Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

Does this mean that now messenger is a stand alone service and that we no longer need Facebook active?

No.

It only uses phone numbers to find matching Facebook users. It does not use the phone number for communication. I can see why this might be helpful if you wanted to chat to a John Smith on Facebook. You would enter his number to search for him. Otherwise, you have to wade through a lot of John Smiths to find the right one. Also, maybe you can message people who you are not friends with on Facebook if you have their number. (Maybe you could do that anyway if you had their name?).

• Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefti View Post Also what is this showing my cellphone number, I don't want stawkers to see my phone number.

I can't help you with the logging out. That's dumb oversight on their part. But your cell number does not get shown to people on Facebook. If they know your number already they can use it to find you but Facebook says that your number is not displayed on Facebook.

• Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefti View Post

I used to give Facebook Messenger 5 stars, now they only get 1 star from me.  How do I log out?  My children also use my tablet and now they can't log in to their own Facebook accounts to chat and I realy don't want them to look at my messages either.  How do you log out and log in with another Facebook account?  Also what is this showing my cellphone number, I don't want stawkers to see my phone number.

Then don't be a friend of a stalker, no?

• Reply 10 of 11

Oh well, what I thought was a good application, I now have to uninstall :(  Will re-install if they put the option to log out back so that more than 1 person can use it.

• Reply 11 of 11

What is that? Facebook wants my mobile phone? How about nooooo! Installed the new app and bypassed the countless windows where they try to trick you into giving them your phone number. Looks ok, behaves ok. Considering it's the only Facebook app on my iPhone, I might use it with non-iPhone users. For the rest I have iMessages. So Facebook Messenger = WhatsApp = whatever else people out there with no iPhones use.