Apple adds realtime collaboration, document organization to iWork for iCloud beta

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014
Building on Thursday afternoon's software update theme, Apple has released a new version of its iWork for iCloud office suite, rolling out new realtime collaboration features and adding some new administrative options.

iWork for iCloud update

According to Apple, the web-based versions of Keynote, Pages, and Numbers all gain similar collaboration abilities. Users can invite others to edit the documents, view a list of which users are making changes, and see the position of other users' cursors and selections.

Additionally, spreadsheets, presentations, and documents can now be sorted and organized into folders. Printing is also enabled from the toolbar of each app.

Keynote is the only member of the suite to benefit from an app-specific feature update, gaining the ability to skip slides during playback. Users can right-click a slide in the navigator to access the feature.

The collaboration features were revealed alongside the revamped desktop versions of the Microsoft Office competitor during last month's iPad Air event. At the same time, Apple announced it would make iWork free of charge to Mac owners, a move that has already prompted rival Microsoft to make significant updates to its own web-based tools.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Busier than a one-legged man in a kick fight, these Apple engineers. With so much on their plate I'm surprised to see this get an update as well. Nice, Apple, nice.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    More updates, more better.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Meh. Keynote 6.0 needs a complete overhaul. Utterly frustrating, near-useless 'update.' I've trashed it and gone back to v5.3. I also tell folks who send me files in the newer version to export it to 5.3 before sending it to me.

Apple's far better off using its resources to fix the basic software instead of these cutesy tweaks.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    <3
  • Reply 5 of 18
    The lack of ANY level of security in collaboration is pretty scary. To share the document, you create a simple web link, and then anyone with access to that link has access to the document. No way of restricting it beyond that in any way.

I'd have to imagine that would be a feature that will be added soon.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Continuous improvement! Hai!
  • Reply 7 of 18

Tried this minutes ago: opened wit iWork for iCloud a spreadsheet stored in iCloud, shared it with a friend, save it, and now Numbers, in my brand new iMac, refuses to start, even with locally stored spreadsheets.

• Reply 8 of 18
    philboogie wrote: »
    Busier than a one-legged man in a kick fight, these Apple engineers. With so much on their plate I'm surprised to see this get an update as well. Nice, Apple, nice.

They are a team and a big one at that, they have thousands of employees working corporate. Don't be too surprised this was bound to happen eventually.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emerica View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

They are a team and a big one at that, they have thousands of employees working corporate. Don't be too surprised this was bound to happen eventually.

they must see this as a huge opportunity to be cranking out new features so fast.  Cant say this about the iLife stuff anymore, can we?

• Reply 10 of 18
    emerica wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

They are a team and a big one at that, they have thousands of employees working corporate.

32,000 so 'they' tell me. Of those, there are supposedly around 7,000 working in engineering. Hardware and software. Which could be right, considering the new Campus will be half filled with engineers.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Meh. Keynote 6.0 needs a complete overhaul. Utterly frustrating, near-useless 'update.' I've trashed it and gone back to v5.3. I also tell folks who send me files in the newer version to export it to 5.3 before sending it to me.

Apple's far better off using its resources to fix the basic software instead of these cutesy tweaks.

Exactly.  collaboration is completely worthless if the software is missing basic functionality.  For example, I need paragraph numbering, which can't be done in Pages.  Collaborating is completely worthless for me since I can't create a document to collaborate with. 

• Reply 12 of 18
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

What happened to the Apple that built high quality products with minimal functionality and then added the non-essential features over time?

Apple's iWork project is being run like an Android or Microsoft project.  They're starting with fancy features at the expense of basic functionality.  Who is the idiot running iWork development? We've been waiting for almost a decade for Apple to pay attention to iWork and now that they are finally putting resources into it, they decide to ignore their customers and produce a feature rich but dysfunctional product. 

The head of iWork development should be shit canned. Apple is suppose to be designing products for its customers, not its engineering department.  Apple is suppose to be solve problems, not creating them.  What a disaster.    

• Reply 13 of 18

that is great, thanks a lot

• Reply 14 of 18
    Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

What happened to the Apple that built high quality products with minimal functionality and then added the non-essential features over time? Apples iWork project

Sounds exactly like what is happening here, though. Not sure how you’re not drawing that parallel.

We've been waiting for almost a decade for Apple to pay attention to iWork and now that they are finally putting resources into it, they decide to ignore their customers and produce a feature rich but dysfunctional product. 

You really don’t have a clue what they’re doing, so just go ahead and ignore iWork for the next year or so, please.

• Reply 15 of 18

hi boss u have any sorce to remove any icloud id on ios7 because i working in pakistan  at mobiles softwear and i have many cell phone on still activation butt many costomer is forget icloud account pasword if you have any solution to remove this id so plz contact me m waiting your ans....

• Reply 16 of 18

hi boss u have any sorce of remove icloud account so plz contact me//////

• Reply 17 of 18
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ahsan wrote: »
    hi boss u have any sorce to remove any icloud id on ios7 because i working in pakistan  at mobiles softwear and i have many cell phone on still activation butt many costomer is forget icloud account pasword if you have any solution to remove this id so plz contact me m waiting your ans....

Go into Settings/iCloud/Account and type in new user ID