Official Google Play Music app debuts on Apple's iOS

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    genovelle wrote: »
    No they are just the one that owns search and has figured out how to gather data by offering a free service then later linking them all together so you are being tracked even after you think you have logged out.
    So you're using Bing? Guess what, you should read their privacy policy where they discuss user data, what they collect, how it's used and who they share it with. Here's the link so you don't have to search for it. It ain't the easiest to find.

http://m.microsoft.com/en-us/about/privacy/bing/default.mspx

and this.
    http://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/privacy-policy

and a short discussion here. MS and Google ain't so different after-all (well Google is much more successful in search) despite all the Scroogled ads.
    http://www.technewsdaily.com/3730-microsoft-google-privacy-benefits.html

EDIT: What a mess of a Microsoft privacy Policy!!. They have bits and pieces of it everywhere and lots of disclaimers saying "this one" doesn't apply to that service and "go here" to find out information about "that over there" cause this one doesn't apply. Here's another part:
    http://m.microsoft.com/en-us/about/privacy/bing/BingMicrosoftAccountModule.mspx?sid=1C2ciHzIM0q2vMutFfO8fg

but then if you want to know about how they use you for advertising yo gotta go over here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/privacystatement/en-us/MicrosoftOnlineAdvertising/Default.aspx

Yeah, Bing certainly looks to be more transparent than Google. Darn stoopid Google putting their entire Privacy Policy on the same page and applying to all their services and one single dashboard for you to control how you interact with them. /s
  • Reply 42 of 71
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Unless you are paying Google 9.99 a month, I fail to see how its service compares to the one Apple offers at $24.99 a year.

Mathematics, $120 is better value than $25, no wonder the rest of the world think Americans are stupid.

• Reply 43 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...oh, and the first month is free. Listen to your heart's content. If you find you don't like it don't renew.

I tried it on my S4, used it a couple of times then went to use it one day and it showed music and demanded $9.99 to listen to it, I'm not sure if it was the Google one or Samsung's memory sapping duplicate.

No thanks, I'm not giving Google, Samsung or whoever it was credit card details and $120 a year.

• Reply 44 of 71
    hill60 wrote: »
    Mathematics, $120 is better value than $25, no wonder the rest of the world think Americans are stupid.

Google All-access has a whole lot more value for some folks doesn't it? Cross platform compatibility, listen on any mobile or web-enabled device whether Android, iOS, desktop or laptop. Stream to Airplay, a cheap ol' Chromecast or most any Bluetooth device, download your favorite music to your own phone or tablet for off-line listening, choose to hear specific albums or songs from Google's entire licensed catalog rather than just "music similar to" as with iRadio. . .

there's several differences in what you get for the money.
  • Reply 45 of 71
    Quote:

So you're using Bing? Guess what, you should read their privacy policy where they discuss user data, what they collect, how it's used and who they share it with. Here's the link so you don't have to search for it. It ain't the easiest to find.

http://m.microsoft.com/en-us/about/privacy/bing/default.mspx

and this.

http://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/privacy-policy

and a short discussion here. MS and Google ain't so different after-all (well Google is much more successful in search) despite all the Scroogled ads.

http://www.technewsdaily.com/3730-microsoft-google-privacy-benefits.html

EDIT: What a mess of a Microsoft privacy Policy!!. They have bits and pieces of it everywhere and lots of disclaimers saying "this one" doesn't apply to that service and "go here" to find out information about "that over there" cause this one doesn't apply. Here's another part:

http://m.microsoft.com/en-us/about/privacy/bing/BingMicrosoftAccountModule.mspx?sid=1C2ciHzIM0q2vMutFfO8fg

but then if you want to know about how they use you for advertising yo gotta go over here:

http://www.microsoft.com/privacystatement/en-us/MicrosoftOnlineAdvertising/Default.aspx

Yeah, Bing certainly looks to be more transparent than Google. /s

Don't care as long as it's not Google by the way your constant stream of sycophantic, Google apologetic posts do nothing but reinforce the feeling I've made the right decision.

• Reply 46 of 71
    Quote:

Google All-access has a whole lot more value for some folks doesn't it? Cross platform compatibility, listen on any mobile or web-enabled device whether Android, iOS, desktop or laptop. Stream to Airplay, a cheap ol' Chromecast or most any Bluetooth device, download your favorite music to your own phone or tablet for off-line listening, choose to hear specific albums or songs from Google's entire licensed catalog rather than just "music similar to" as with iRadio. . .

there's several differences in what you get for the money.

The main difference is $95.

• Reply 47 of 71
    Don't care as long as it's not Google by the way your constant stream of sycophantic, Google apologetic posts do nothing but reinforce the feeling I've made the right decision.

Perhaps you're not the target audience. Don't know that anything would change your opinion other than Apple deciding to settle up with Google and make friends again. Then I suspect you and a lot of other Apple users would like'em after-all
  • Reply 48 of 71
    The main difference is $95.

Then you haven't looked.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    Quote:

Perhaps you're not the target audience. Don't know that anything would change your opinion other than Apple deciding to settle up with Google and make friends again. Then I suspect you and a lot of other Apple users would like'em after-all

Nope, got nothing to do with Apple.

Google is not and should not expect to be a requirement of entry to the digital age.

• Reply 50 of 71
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Has anyone used both the Android and iOS apps at this point? Any feature, performance, UI differences that make one better or worse then the other?
  • Reply 51 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Last time I checked (just a minute ago), Apple does use personal information and data usage to generate ad revenue for themselves.  It's in black and white in their privacy policy.  Such is the way of many businesses these days.

LMAO… google trolls sure are grasping for straws! What percentage of Apple's multi-billion dollar revenue comes from tracking its users?

What percentage of evil GOOGLE's revenue comes from tracking its users? Close to 95%?

Hehe…

After Sn?wd?n's reveals, only fools and cultists still use Google products.

• Reply 52 of 71
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    bighype wrote: »
    LMAO… google trolls sure are grasping for straws! What percentage of Apple's multi-billion dollar revenue comes from tracking its users?

What percentage of evil GOOGLE's revenue comes from tracking its users? Close to 95%?

I would say it's zero, unless they sell that info directly to others. There revenue mostly comes from advertisements which are targeted which are helped by the tracking they do by user accounts to basic websites. It's all related but it's inherently different.

PS: Love the 2nd image.
  • Reply 53 of 71

The Google Music service is completely free and allows you to store and download ALL of your music in the cloud, just like iTunes Match which cost $24.99 a year.   

• Reply 54 of 71
    Quote:

It's an eye-opener isn't it?

Certainly is. Very eye-opening.

• Reply 55 of 71
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

After Sn?wd?n's reveals, only fools and cultists still use Google products.

So Microsoft, Yahoo!, Facebook, PalTalk, YouTube, Skype, AOL, and Apple just get a free pass then?

• Reply 56 of 71
    droidftw wrote: »

So you think they've cracked Apple's encryption or set up 'man in the middle' attacks on Apple's servers?

With iOS 7, not even Apple can reset a device without it being unlinked from the iTunes account used to activate it, which is why they ask you to remove it when performing a service swap.
  • Reply 57 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zBernie View Post

The Google Music service is completely free and allows you to store and download ALL of your music in the cloud, just like iTunes Match which cost $24.99 a year.   

Except Google Music is far easier to use, works better, and works on more devices.  I used it back when I had a macbook, iPod and iPhone. I love Google music. It's great that Google finally got their iOS app out there. Everyone should use this free service. I bring up my playlists at friends houses during parties all the time. It works on the browser so it's insanely easy. You can continue to use iTunes and can continue to add and buy music from/to iTunes and Google music will continue to automatically find it all and keep it synced to all your devices. All behind the scenes.

• Reply 58 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

I would say it's zero, unless they sell that info directly to others. There revenue mostly comes from advertisements which are targeted which are helped by the tracking they do by user accounts to basic websites. It's all related but it's inherently different.

PS: Love the 2nd image.

It would seem that the success of google's business model depends on shielding the info of their users from others. If others already know your personal preferences then why would they pay the middleman google to deliver their ads to you?

• Reply 59 of 71
    nexusphan wrote: »
    Except Google Music is far easier to use, works better, and works on more devices.  I used it back when I had a macbook, iPod and iPhone. I love Google music. It's great that Google finally got their iOS app out there. Everyone should use this free service. I bring up my playlists at friends houses during parties all the time. It works on the browser so it's insanely easy. You can continue to use iTunes and can continue to add and buy music from/to iTunes and Google music will continue to automatically find it all and keep it synced to all your devices. All behind the scenes.

...or you can buy CD's and rip them to iTunes or if you are so inclined pirate music and add it to iTunes and there it is.

The "have to buy from iTunes" is a furphy which has been around for ten years, I'm amazed it still exists.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So you think they've cracked Apple's encryption or set up 'man in the middle' attacks on Apple's servers?

With iOS 7, not even Apple can reset a device without it being unlinked from the iTunes account used to activate it, which is why they ask you to remove it when performing a service swap.

Are there any encryption standards that the NSA can't crack or has backdoor access to these days?  Regardless, there's not much need for the NSA to do the things you mention when Apple (along with the others named) freely hand over the information already.