Android-based TV sticks activate as tablets, prove popular for bootleg videos in Asia

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

This is simply a continuation or evolution of what has been happening in China/Asia for the last 20 years. Previously we could get pirated VCDs and CDs of the latest release movies and albums for around 5-10 renminbi ('Chinese dollars') each, ie US$1 or $2, then it moved to DVD and now to digital media on USB.

Any legitimate service has to compete with that, which is going to be very difficult.

That's my point! I pay $7 a month and watch as many movies as I want on NetFlix and other streaming video services. They compete rather well with $1 pirated movies of dubious quality. I could watch pirate movies for free yet I end up watching NetFlix because of the convenience. The movie industry has found a solution. They just need to embrace it in places like China.

• Reply 62 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The whole Google gang must be very proud!

They've made it bigger in China than they ever imagined.

The 3 biggest charlatans of the century!

• Reply 63 of 78
    disturbia wrote: »
    The 3 biggest charlatans of the century!

Quick, Queck & Quack
  • Reply 64 of 78
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

It is true.  All you need is a PC, USB stick, and Android software which is free.

Install Android on USB stick.

Activate.

Uninstall.

Repeat.

I don't know how widespread this is but in China I'm sure black market vendors install millions of Android OS on USB sticks every month.  Then these are counting as phone or tablet sales.

This is wrong, a device is activated just once despite the number of times is installed the OS on it

• Reply 65 of 78
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Why do you guys care so much about this? Does it it bother you that much that Apple isn't in the number one spot, they certainly are for brand recognition, profitability, brand loyalty, ect. I highly doubt that these Android sticks or whatever you call them have anything to do with Androids market share. Outside of the US, Europe, small parts of Asia and Australia, cheap Android phones have the market. You can't expect a household with a annual income below 12,000 dollars a year (which is most of the planet) to buy an iPhone. No, it's usually a Symbian or Android phone. Apple sells luxury goods, when they start catering to the other 80% of the world by making 50 dollar or less phones then and only then will they be number one. That will never happen though, nor do we want that to happen.

• Reply 66 of 78
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    sog35 wrote: »
    and if you format the entire USB? 

The way I've understood it Google's activation process recognizes and logs the PC/tablet/smartphone or whatever UUID one time only. If that same UUID visits again it's not counted again... and again...and again unless the UUID would happen to change. Installing/uninstalling Android a thousand times won't change that unique number AFAIK. Have you read that Google registers device activations differently than that?
  • Reply 67 of 78
    [quote name="Relic" url="/t/160779/android-based-tv-sticks-activate-as-tablets-prove-popular-for-bootleg-videos-in-asia/60#post_2437004"]"Why do you guys care so much about this? Does it it bother you that much that Apple isn't in the number one spot, they certainly are for brand recognition, profitability, brand loyalty, ect."

For me, who has been an Apple fan for many many years and lived through the bad old days when Apple was the doormat and butt of every techie joke, it matters. Apple EARNED its way back, all the way to the top, by being "different." It sickens me to see others easily profit by copying what it worked hard to achieve. On the other hand I don't want Apple to become as arrogant and blind as the corporations it displaced. And in the great cosmic scheme of things this all means nothing. But in the here and now I can't deny the feelings that I have.

Relic, how goes it today for you? I am reaching out via a new thread as you suggested. PM me if you prefer.
  • Reply 68 of 78
    Originally Posted by larry9 View Post

Honestly, folks, I have no problem with you loving your vendor of choice; I have my favorites, too. However, there are some purely delusional comments on this board; will you please get a grip, Apple is not a religion and you are not the flock. Apple is a business and you are customers. They want your business, your devotion is best placed with more important causes.

How about you just shut up and go away; how’s that sound? It’s pretty simple: either educate yourself on the topic you’re replying to or don’t waste your time signing up on a website about a company you hate to dismiss products that you hate.

• Reply 69 of 78
    How about you just shut up and go away; how’s that sound? It’s pretty simple: either educate yourself on the topic you’re replying to or don’t waste your time signing up on a website about a company you hate to dismiss products that you hate.
    Gee a little worked up. I don't hate Apple or their products, I am well aware of the subject at hand, and you are flaming like crazy and proving my point for me. Wow.
  • Reply 70 of 78
    Originally Posted by larry9 View Post

Gee a little worked up. I don't hate Apple or their products, I am well aware of the subject at hand, and you are flaming like crazy and proving my point for me. Wow.

Nothing in either of your posts relates to the subject at hand. We see too many of your ilk here already.

• Reply 71 of 78

It is absolute bull, Any device apple or droid once registered has a id number " not matter if it is a stick,tablet or phone"  all products have a device id so you can not simply activate and re activate to build number. if such a thing were true it would make it impossible to jail break a device because the random id generation.

Also as of Dec 2013 android is operating on over 80 percent of devices globally according to Apple corporate office, thus also being the reason all apple products have just went on sale in china " apple trying to cash in on the millions of mobile users here" 

This is all easily fact checked threw apples corp. offices

• Reply 72 of 78
    Originally Posted by kayaker11274 View Post

It is absolute bull, Any device apple or droid once registered has a id number " not matter if it is a stick,tablet or phone"  all products have a device id so you can not simply activate and re activate to build number.

Of course you can.

if such a thing were true it would make it impossible to jail break a device because the random id generation.

No… what? No. Jailbreaking doesn’t have anything to do with that.

Also as of Dec 2013 android is operating on over 80 percent of devices globally according to Apple corporate office

I don’t think Apple reports anything of the sort.

…thus also being the reason all apple products have just went on sale in china  apple trying to cash in on the millions of mobile users here 

Nope. And nope.

• Reply 73 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It is absolute bull, Any device apple or droid once registered has a id number " not matter if it is a stick,tablet or phone"  all products have a device id so you can not simply activate and re activate to build number. if such a thing were true it would make it impossible to jail break a device because the random id generation.

Also as of Dec 2013 android is operating on over 80 percent of devices globally according to Apple corporate office, thus also being the reason all apple products have just went on sale in china " apple trying to cash in on the millions of mobile users here" 

This is all easily fact checked threw apples corp. offices

Speaking of BS and fact checking, everything you've posted is bullocks.
  • Reply 74 of 78
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Speaking of BS and fact checking, everything you've posted is bullocks.

It is kind of weird to quote such a precise figure without a direct reference. Also welcome back from your second hiatus.

• Reply 75 of 78
    You people have never heard of virtual machines? The UUID of a VM can be changed.
  • Reply 76 of 78
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    You people have never heard of virtual machines? The UUID of a VM can be changed.

Why would you want to change the UUID? What is the advantage?
  • Reply 77 of 78
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Why would you want to change the UUID? What is the advantage?

To hide all those Android devices being “used”.