Apple now allowing trade-ins for water damaged devices

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2014
In a change to its Reuse and Recycling Program policies, Apple is now allowing customers to trade in devices that have been exposed to water or other liquids, though prices can be affected by over $100 in some cases.

Water Damage

For its Reuse and Recycling Program, Apple has partnered with PowerON to buy used iPhones, iPads and Macs, as well as other non-Apple products. Until the recent policy revision, however, devices with liquid damage were not accepted.

As noted on Monday, Apple's has lifted that particular restriction, though signs of liquid contact can substantially detract from a device's value.

For example, a good condition 64GB black iPhone 5 tied to AT&T would fetch $350 without water damage. With water damage, the same model drops down to $230. The lower price is to be expected, as recyclers are taking a risk in buying back a damaged item.

Apple points out that customers can assess their own devices by checking a liquid contact indicator usually located in the bottom of the headphone jack. If activated, the normally white or silver tab will show a red or pink color. The indicator is positioned on the bottom of the dock connector housing for the iPhone 3G and later, as well as all iPads. An exception is the iPhone 5, which has the indicator placed in the SIM card tray.

Apple first debuted the Reuse and Recycling Program in 2011 and offers Apple Store gift cards instead of cash for used products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Smart move to avoid ruffled feathers when Apple possibly releases a waterproof iPhone 6 like those Sony Experias.

(You wont want to feel cheated when the next iPhone is so)
  • Reply 2 of 12
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

So a water-damaged iPhone still carries a higher trade-in value than flawless-condition Galaxy S4?  How funny.

• Reply 3 of 12
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Whether you have a water damage issue or not, you need to be on guard. I had a very bad experience in the last month with Apple's partner PowerON, whom I believe tried to low-ball me after I sent in two iPhone 4 units that I stated were in good condition. The phones were better than good, actually. Excellent is more like it. Everything worked fine, no water damage and the exteriors were excellent. Nevertheless, their "audit" dropped the condition to "fair" and chopped $30 off the offer for each phone. They accompanied their email offer with photos that purported to show minor scratches on the surface of the glass touchscreens.

I knew that was a crock and demanded my phones back (which they will send back at no cost per their terms). I told them that that their attempt to skin me was BS. Amazingly, this email turned up a couple days later:

"Thank you for your email. It's unfortunate you are unsatisfied with the audit results. However, we would like you to be satisfied with the program, and after reviewing your quote, we have gone ahead and decided to award you in full for both quotes (XXXXXX and XXXXXX). Please let us know if this is acceptable to you or if you would still like the phones returned. Thank you for your interest in the program and have a great day."

I accepted and soon afterward received Apple gift cards by email, which I used to buy AppleCare for our new phones at my nearest Apple Retail Store.

If you're going to do business with any mail-in recycler (Apple partner PowerON for sure) my experience should be a warning. Take photos and carefully document the condition of anything you send in. If you don't like the offer, be sure you can get your stuff back promptly without having to pay shipping. Be prepared to turn down any offers that stink outright. Better yet, find yourself a buyer that will appraise your device in-person and make you an offer on the spot.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    This news brings water to my i's.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    philboogie wrote: »
    This news brings water to my i's.

Hilarious!
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I just entered my one month old water damaged iphone 5, and they offered me $0.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    malbrour wrote: »

But that may be due to it being over a year and a half old. Or the device already suffered heavy wear and tear.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    philboogie wrote: »
    malbrour wrote: »

But that may be due to it being over a year and a half old. Or the device already suffered heavy wear and tear.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

No; just the water damage.
  • Reply 9 of 12

I'm glad that i stumble upon your forum and found many useful information for my iphone. A friend of mine have iphone 4s and his phone is water damage so i will let him know the information you are providing.

• Reply 10 of 12

The Driveway Alarm System nowadays is the security system that has Security Alerts feature. You will be notified automatically via alarm for motion / entry of cars, trucks, people in your home,parking. You can still monitor your home even when you are away.

• Reply 11 of 12

I really like your way of expressing the opinion and sharing the information. 

Nice surprise about this shorter form. Can you tell us what it is you are talking/writing about?Has any info. about this shorter form been posted before (and i just missed it)?
  • Reply 12 of 12

Nice surprise about this shorter form. Can you tell us what it is you are talking/writing about?Has any info. about this shorter form been posted before (and i just missed it)?