Made for iPhone gaming controllers continue to debut with Logitech's new PowerShell

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Accessory makers continue to debut their officially sanctioned Made for iPhone gaming controllers ahead of the holiday shopping season, with Logitech on Wednesday announcing its new battery-equipped, Lightning-connected PowerShell Controller.

Logitech

Compatible with the iPhone 5s, iPhone 5, or fifth-generation iPod touch, the $99.99 PowerShell Controller + Battery requires a device running iOS 7. Users insert their compatible device into the controller as they would a standard case, and are granted access to analog, off-screen controls for more precise gaming.

The PowerShell is equipped with a D-Pad on the left side and A, B, X, and Y face buttons on the right. Shoulder buttons are also located on the top of the controller.

The accessory offers full access to the power on-off, volume, camera, speakers, headphone jack, and charging. And the inclusion of a 1500 mAh battery increases longevity while playing.

Compatible titles include Bastion, Fast & Furious 6: The Game, MetalStorm Aces, Galaxy On Fire 2 HD, and Nitro, among others. It's available through Logitech's online store, the Apple Online Store, and Best Buy's website, with additional retailers carrying the device in December.

"We designed this controller to deliver a true console-gaming experience on an iOS 7 mobile device," said Ehtisham Rabbani, general manager of the Logitech gaming business. "With gaming so pervasive on the mobile platform -- our research shows that 87 percent of iPhone and iPod touch users play games on their device -- it's time to revolutionize the experience."

The announcement of Logitech's official iOS-compatible controller comes a day after MOGA announced its own $99 controller, the Ace Power. MOGA's offering goes a few steps further than Logitech's, offering both a D-pad and twin joysticks on the face of the accessory.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    This would only really be relevant if I could AirPlay my Games thru my Apple TV to my home Television. Sure the analog controls would be better for more involved gameplay, but $100 is expensive - even if it adds more battery life.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    This would only really be relevant if I could AirPlay my Games thru my Apple TV to my home Television. Sure the analog controls would be better for more involved gameplay, but $100 is expensive - even if it adds more battery life.

You can
  • Reply 3 of 23

What happens when the size of the iPhone increases next year ?

Do I spend another $99 for a new controller ?  I think not.

• Reply 4 of 23
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    D-pad = Fail
  • Reply 5 of 23
    tonypie wrote: »
    What happens when the size of the iPhone increases next year ?

Do I spend another $99 for a new controller ?  I think not.

Easy, don't buy the bigger iPhone.
  • Reply 6 of 23

I will never again buy any Logitech product. They got the crappiest customer service in the world, their product quality is horrible and  asin my case, although they confirmed the product is still under warranty, they still refused to service the unit since the reseller was not able to provide me with a printed bill. Logitech? Nononononononoooo. 

• Reply 7 of 23
    I think it is sweet
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

D-pad = Fail

How so?

• Reply 9 of 23

How so?

Because they suck and are utterly useless, anyone that plays games knows this. It should've been a mini joystick.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Because they suck and are utterly useless, anyone that plays games knows this. It should've been a mini joystick.

Nice blanket statement. You couldn't be more wrong. D-pads do not suck and are certainly not "Utterly useless". Speaking as an owner of well over 50 different systems & having been a gamer for 35 years D-pads when done right are very integral to the gaming experience.

• Reply 11 of 23

Nice blanket statement. You couldn't be more wrong. D-pads do not suck and are certainly not "Utterly useless". Speaking as an owner of well over 50 different systems & having been a gamer for 35 years D-pads when done right are very integral to the gaming experience.

Then you must have a calloused thumb. D-pads always gave me blisters. Plus the D-pad is probably digital whereas most joysticks are analog and has levels of sensitivity.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

This one is waaaay nicer.

• Reply 13 of 23

Because they suck and are utterly useless

Great argument.

…anyone that plays games knows this.

Sure thing. Keep telling yourself that.

It should've been a mini joystick.  

What, and break off instantly, rendering the entire device useless? Come on. We all know what happened to the PSP.

• Reply 14 of 23

This is an interesting development 8-)

• Reply 15 of 23

I wonder if M$ is going to have an issue with the name PowerShell as that's also what they call their integrated scripting environment for Windows 7 and above.

• Reply 16 of 23
    This seems like it would be great for car games. Just being able to get our thumbs off the screen...
  • Reply 17 of 23
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Then you must have a calloused thumb. D-pads always gave me blisters. Plus the D-pad is probably digital whereas most joysticks are analog and has levels of sensitivity.
    I'll agree that for the most part analog sticks are my primary gaming interaction but the d-pad plays a fairly big part as well for me
  • Reply 18 of 23
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Easy, don't buy the bigger iPhone.

Haven't you heard, everybody wants a bigger iPhone and the current one is way too small and therefore doesn't make you look ridiculous when you use it  /s

• Reply 19 of 23
    I kinda like it. I'd love to see more of this kind of thing in different types of shells, depending on the kind of game (flying, shooters, sports, etc.).
  • Reply 20 of 23
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ama695 View Post

I will never again buy any Logitech product. They got the crappiest customer service in the world, their product quality is horrible and  asin my case, although they confirmed the product is still under warranty, they still refused to service the unit since the reseller was not able to provide me with a printed bill. Logitech? Nononononononoooo. 

Wow, I've had the complete opposite experience. They've shipped me replacements for free, no questions asked. All the logitech products I've bought have been well designed and reliable. They also look pretty good. I consider them one of the best, if not best overall accessory maker.