Apple updates iMovie for Mac with support for older video cards

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    bsenka wrote: »
    Don't stupid, the point is to reduce costs. People don't do it anymore because Apple is producing designed obsolescence. They used to, all the time, and it was quite inexpensive.

No, people never switched out every component of their notebooks because the typical consumer never wanted to do that and it defeats the purpose of a notebook. In fact, I know plenty of people that just used a perfectly good WinPC until the PC got too slow and then bought a new one. If they couldn't even clean up or reinstall the OS do you think they would really want to open up their notebooks to replace any and every component after researching HCLs and checking with performance to cost ratios to find the best options? Of course not!

You have to accept that your idea of a personal computer, while perfectly fine, is outmoded and in no way reflects today's user base and certainly don't come close to what Apple caters with their excellent notebooks.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    akqies wrote: »
    No, people never switched out every component of their notebooks because the typical consumer never wanted to do that and it defeats the purpose of a notebook. In fact, I know plenty of people that just used a perfectly good WinPC until the PC got too slow and then bought a new one. If they couldn't even clean up or reinstall the OS do you think they would really want to open up their notebooks to replace any and every component after researching HCLs and checking with performance to cost ratios to find the best options? Of course not!

You have to accept that your idea of a personal computer, while perfectly fine, is outmoded and in no way reflects today's user base and certainly don't come close to what Apple caters with their excellent notebooks.
    Apple was always criticized for lack of upgradability. The reason they didn't was simple, very few people ever upgraded any part of their machines - even RAM. Apart from myself I don't think I've ever known anyone to upgrade their personal computers.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member

Lucky me…IMovie 10.0.1 works on my 2007 iMac with an ATI HD2600 Pro video card of 256KB VRAM. OS X is at 10.9 Mavericks. I probably will get another iMac next year, just because this set of components is getting more outdated than I like. This iMac has provided great value for the original cost.

• Reply 24 of 31
    paxman wrote: »
    Apple was always criticized for lack of upgradability. The reason they didn't was simple, very few people ever upgraded any part of their machines - even RAM. Apart from myself I don't think I've ever known anyone to upgrade their personal computers.

I certainly do and know several people that do. I actually put RAM in a 2002 iMac just today in an attempt to get Leopard Server to run it (worked great as an iTunes Server but want to make it work as a Time Machine backup server, too). I have removed DVD drives to replace with hard drives and removed hard drives to install SSDs, but I don't consider my actions to be the norm and certainly don't think it would save money for all users or allow components to be smaller if they did that with today's Macs or iPhones or iPads.

People that think this is a valid concept for a phone have been hit in the head with a yellow brick: https://phonebloks.com/
  • Reply 25 of 31
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    OS 10.5 isn't supported anymore. You could try to update to 10.6.8 if you have at least 1 or 2 gigs of ram which then things might start working for you again. However if you have a PowerPC processor forget it. That is not supported at all and the hardware is just to slow and out of date.
    Technology moves forward as much as we would like to keep our old stuff forever. It's just not possible to make that old stuff work with the newer stuff. You would be better off buying a new Mac instead of trying to put money in an out of warranty old Mac that can't keep up with the new stuff.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

Your Mac is running a Power PC processor and is just outdated. The hardware is to slow and is not supported at all. Like Betamax video's aren't sold anymore because they are out dated and you can't put in a blue ray disc in it and expect it to play.

It's just time to buy a new one.

• Reply 27 of 31
    A better option would be to build machines that allow people to upgrade their video card.

A couple hundred dollars for an incremental upgrade is a lot better than replacing the whole computer every couple of years.

And the best option is to simply get a new Mac. We will need to get the economy rolling again.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

A better option would be to build machines that allow people to upgrade their video card.

No it wouldn’t. Why not try looking at the world through the majority’s eyes instead of through a tinkerer’s eyes. In the real world...

1. Most people never upgrade their operating systems, let alone their hardware. The use the machine as it came out of the box.

2. The majority would never even consider changing out their video card, or RAM, or CPU, or hard drive. 

So why should Apple spend the time designing upgradeable hardware when the majority of their customers don’t care about it? Let the tinkerers buy something else to play with.

• Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

Neither does... well anything from the last 5 years.

Old tech and hardware is FAILING because it's old tech and hardware.

Diagnosing the problem with 100% accuracy /WIN!

• Reply 30 of 31
    I tell you what my solution is likely to be -- pricey and risky. Buy a Mac Pro when it comes out in December and use the old iMac as dumb screen.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member

Hey - I reported this almost a week ago Click!!

Strange thing is that I've been running iMovies 10.0 on my mid-2007 iMac without any hitch.

Just noticed the 10.0.1 update today. Weird that I've been able to run it a week before everyone else....