Retina iPad mini backorders at major US carriers hints at ongoing supply shortage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The nation's wireless carriers have yet to see steady shipments of Apple's cellular-enabled iPad mini with Retina display, with three of the "big four" telecoms all backordered for weeks as the holiday shopping season draws closer.

AT&T
Current AT&T iPad mini with Retina display stock. | Source: AT&T

According to a report from CNET, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile are all seeing estimated ship dates slip to at least December, though Apple's own supply for Wi-Fi + Cellular iPad minis continues to improve.

The shortage suggests supplies are still constrained for the cellular 4G version of Apple's high-resolution 7.9-inch tablet, as Verizon recently pushed back shipping estimates to Dec. 2. Previously, the nation's largest carrier was quoting a target date of Nov. 25, but a spokesperson is now unable to say when the device will hit store shelves.

As for AT&T, the company's website says all models of the Retina iPad mini will ship in 21 to 28 business days. T-Mobile, too, is back-ordered for an estimated 6 to 8 weeks.

Although cell carriers may not be getting adequate supply of the hot-selling mini, Apple has been bolstering its stock for customers, who now have to wait 5 to 10 days for the unit to ship. This is a major improvement from launch day, when even the first orders showed wait times of a few days. At the time, Wi-Fi + Cellular models showed 5- to 10-day ship-by times, which later fell to weeks.

In a note to investors, KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple's manufacturers will reach mass production levels sufficient early next year, with shipments expected to grow 102 percent over the next quarter.

Those looking to get their hands on a Retina iPad mini as soon as possible can check Seaturtle.org's unofficial iPad mini availability notifier, which offers a snapshot of brick-and-mortar Apple Stores that have the unit in stock for pick-up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Surprisingly mine shipped this past Monday only 2 days after I ordered it from T-Mobile's website.
  • Reply 2 of 13

"Supply shortage" or "Overwhelming demand"?

• Reply 3 of 13
    In the meantime, 800 000 Samswatches sold.
    'nuff said.
  • Reply 4 of 13

If I were Apple, I'd give AT&T the scraps. At our local AT&T store they do their best to hide the iPhones and iPads they have on display. And AT&T employees push Samscum and Android onto everyone who walks in the door. AT&T also installs the heaviest and bulkiest anti-theft bricks onto the back of iPads and iPhones, making it virtually impossible to get a feel for their weight (lack thereof) and feel. I have to believe this is their deliberate attempt to marginalize Apple products.  

• Reply 5 of 13
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    I walked in to a store last Saturday to decide on the color and they had the one I wanted in stock. They were only accepting weborders, so I used one of their computers to order it and picked it up half an hour later. No line, easy process. But, I guess I had a less-in-demand config: 64GB, silver, T-mobile mini.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    If I were Apple, I'd give AT&T the scraps. At our local AT&T store they do their best to hide the iPhones and iPads they have on display. And AT&T employees push Samscum and Android onto everyone who walks in the door. AT&T also installs the heaviest and bulkiest anti-theft bricks onto the back of iPads and iPhones, making it virtually impossible to get a feel for their weight (lack thereof) and feel. I have to believe this is their deliberate attempt to marginalize Apple products.  
    I agree with this comment. This is why apple had to invent the apple retail stores because other companies do a piss poor job if selling apple products and always have.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Apple products sell by themself.

They need to really push hard to sell the other crap.

Yeah, the only time you see another carrier push an Apple product is when they first get access to sell Apple products, but that only lasts until it's known then there is no need to push it anymore. Outside of that I see the big box retailers, like Walmart and Target, pushing Apple products periodically but mainly as a way to encourage people to enter their expansive stores.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This article: mini backorder = supply shortage

Another article 5S wait times decrease = weak demand

Of course. Haven't you learned yet that Apple can do no right? /s

• Reply 9 of 13
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Apple would not have released the mini retina unless the company had a reasonable number of them to sell.

Reasonable number has sold out. Conclusion? Overwhelming demand.

Regarding 800,000 watches, that is Samsung's claim. This claim is highly suspicious.

Has one person here bought a Sammy watch, seen one, known someone who owns one, or even seriously thought about buying one?

An 800k product would make a bigger wake. Something is fishy with the 800k number.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Who gives a ****? What percentage of people buy an iPad from their carriers? Aple is prioritizing shipments to their own stores, as they should. In my areas all models of minis have been fully stocked for a while. Carriers can go **** themselves, I have yet to see one that doesn't push the shit out of Samsung products on customers, featuring ONLY the S3/S4 in all types of marketing material, as if nothing else exists. I've also seen + heard them convince customers that a "Samsung is the same as an iPhone, only better". There's obviously an extremely high deman for the retina mini, especially during this season. These reports doesnt mean that Apple still isnt selling a shitload, back-order or no.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Apple would not have released the mini retina unless the company had a reasonable number of them to sell.

Reasonable number has sold out. Conclusion? Overwhelming demand.

Regarding 800,000 watches, that is Samsung's claim. This claim is highly suspicious.

Has one person here bought a Sammy watch, seen one, known someone who owns one, or even seriously thought about buying one?

An 800k product would make a bigger wake. Something is fishy with the 800k number.

I don't think I know anyone who has even HEARD of Samsung's watch, let alone has bought one. 

• Reply 12 of 13
    I debated whether or not to buy the broadband mini or the regular model. Went for regular when I realized that, for only $25 more per month, my AT&T contract would give me tethering & 5GB data monthly on my current (non-family) iPhone5 plan.

Now my wife and I can share my iPhone hotspot with both our iPads and both our MBPs whenever we're out of the house.

It was the 1st time the AT&T 5GB data plan for my phone made sense...