Jurors credit CPA witness for Apple's $290M victory in Samsung patent retrial

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

Forgive me if you do not agree with this next statement but how can anyone have a patent on a rectangular phone with rounded corners.

You can’t. Fortunately, Apple doesn’t.

Please tell me how else do you design a phone with a rectangular touch screen? I mean look at flat screen TVs

Are TVs phones?

Do you hear Panasonic suing Samsung over the TV designs or visa versa?

Do you see either of them innovating whatsoever?

• Reply 62 of 66
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    bondm16 wrote: »
    Forgive me if you do not agree with this next statement but how can anyone have a patent on a rectangular phone with rounded corners. Please tell me how else do you design a phone with a rectangular touch screen? I mean look at flat screen TVs   

Different patents. Plus we think all smart phones are like that one but Apple took a risk in 2007 with the iPhone. No other smart phone looked like it back them. The critics/ analysts complained about the lack of a physical keyboard. Then all of sudden it becomes a hit. And the copycat artists then try to make their own version. The shape is part of Apple's trade dress just as much as the wavy bottle is part of Coke's.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,341member
    You can’t. Fortunately, Apple doesn’t.

Apple did eventually get their design patent for an electronic device in the shape of a rectangle with rounded corners.
    http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1701443/USD670286S1.pdf

That really is the only thing claimed: a rectangle with rounded corners, no other design elements whatsoever. Not a button, a microphone cutout or anything else. There's lots of superfluous dotted lines included in various drawings but the only design feature Apple is asking protection for is shown with a solid line. And the only thing with a solid line? A rounded rectangle.

Little to worry about tho IMO. You'll never see Apple assert this one in an infringement case as it's highly likely invalid.
    http://www.techradar.com/us/news/world-of-tech/apple-gets-what-it-always-wanted-patent-for-round-edge-rectangle-1110942
  • Reply 64 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KnightoftheWord View Post

Amadan

I learned a new word today! :)

• Reply 65 of 66
    Samsung doesn't "Continue to Innovate" they continue to "Imitate".