Apple's iPhone, iPad & the market for Microsoft's Xbox One & Sony's PlayStation 4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So the Playstation 4 is broken on launch day (and wobbles when set on a desk), the Xbox One will RROD just like every other Microsoft product, but when it does work it will be visually and audibly monitoring you 24/7 due to the always-on, always-plugged in Kinect…
    and Safari crashes multiple times a day on my iPad Air. What's your point?
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Actually they've taken measures this time to prevent the RROD.

Sure they have.

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

and Safari crashes multiple times a day on my iPad Air. What's your point?

My point is that I figured people were intelligent enough to get what’s being said here, much less to make relevant analogies.

• Reply 23 of 43
    512ke wrote: »
    Thanks for this article. I would argue that the misunderstanding of Apple combined with a willful manipulation if the data is creating an ideal situation to buy the stock.

I'd rather buy the successful stock all the idiots are proclaiming is dying rather than the hot stock of a company that's actually not making any money.

No stock escapes reality forever no matter how hard many people are working to mislead.
    Amazon did and does, the more money they lost, the higher their stock prices, Google's Android hit the same sweet spot, but they have a history of cutting off no profitable product lines, so one day, people will wake up and find out Google abandons Android OS
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So the Playstation 4 is broken on launch day (and wobbles when set on a desk), the Xbox One will RROD just like every other Microsoft product, but when it does work it will be visually and audibly monitoring you 24/7 due to the always-on, always-plugged in Kinect…

And Apple’s supposed to be worried? With either an iPhone or iPod touch in every pocket? When the A7 is three-quarters of the way to matching the capabilities of last generation’s consoles and the A8, next year, will be, what, a quarter of the way to this gen’s? In two years’ time, Apple devices should be able to put out more graphically intensive games than either of these consoles, but the people who buy the latter will be stuck with them for at least five more years, if we listen to their respective companies!

I think Tallest Skil makes a sound point in the 2nd paragraph here.

The A7 with Rogue graphics is on a par of 'just' behind the current or out going 'last gen' consoles.

With the A8, will be a 'quarter' of the way to catching up.  And yes, in two years time it's going to be very close with or visually competitive with the current incoming costless with the possibility of Apple pulling ahead.  The consoles are static.  The iPad is a moving target and it's graphical capabilities are doubling every year.  It's quite astonishing.

Put that in the context of 4k ATVs...and the rumoured '4k' 13 inch iPad and matters get real interesting.  All in a device so thin.  Star Trek tech'.  

As somebody who had a C64 when he was younger, this sort of stuff is mind blowing, really.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 26 of 43
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

As somebody who had a C64 when he was younger, this sort of stuff is mind blowing, really.

Number Munchers still beats the snot out of the vast majority of modern games (the little ones, you know, like Angry Birds and what have you). And you learned something while playing it other than the optimal fictional angle at which to hit some animated pigs.

• Reply 27 of 43
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Both Sony and Microsoft are reporting within the first week of launch excess of 1 million units sold.

They apparently topped 1 million each in the first 24 hours:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101222864

They've both done really well. Nintendo hasn't even sold 0.5 million in 6 months:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/30/wii-u-nintendo-sells-under-500000-in-six-months

I'd say Apple's products complement the XBox and Playstation consoles as you can use them while playing to track stats and as guides. They compete more with the 3DS, Vita and Wii as they are more focused on casual games or portable games. There's a Zelda-like game here for iOS for example:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 28 of 43
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

The purpose behind the numbers being pushed is to create a market which doesn't yet exist. Most people want to go with the herd as consumers, and most developers do also. Where the herd is is where you can be confident that you're not making a mistake.

That's an excellent point - they are trying to create a market, by making developers less afraid to enter. All Apple needs to do then is continually emphasise the definite profits that are being made in their store and all the big name developers already there.

• Reply 29 of 43
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I do wonder if these consoles (both of them) will be as successful as their predecessors. When you look at the price of games in Steam sales and in the iOS App Store, the consoles just aren't competitive. It's only the fact that people lend their discs to each other that keeps them alive, and the manufacturers won't let that go on for much longer.

• Reply 30 of 43
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

From time to time DED gets carried away with his adjectives and becomes ripe for having fun poked at him.

"Very worthless"? How might that be different from "somewhat worthless" or "slightly worthless"?

Inquiring minds want to know.

• Reply 31 of 43
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Apple is investing roughly $20+ Billion in 2014 for R&D, Manufacturing innovations and expansions, alone never mind the new product segments it will be targeting.

To date, Latestpatents.com reveals Apple has been granted 1720 patents for 2013 and at the rate of the past 2 months they have a strong possibility of reaching 2000 patents for the year 2013.

Within those patents are mind numbingly innovative new manufacturing processes for the next decade or more no one can copy. Then the advances to their embedded and desktop systems, not to mention future Entertainment solutions and it is quite clear Apple's best days are ahead of them.

In 2007 Apple officially changed their name from 'Apple Computer' to 'Apple Inc.'.

In 2014 I highly recommend, in order to more accurately reflect their position, that they change their name once again.

To 'Godzilla'.

An awful lot of companies are about to get stomped on.
  • Reply 32 of 43

I don't get the point of this editorial, Its Apples & oranges.

Apple doesn't make something that competes in the home console gaming space.

You could argue that the iPod touch or iPad takes the sales away from the 3DS or PS Vita, not the full gaming consoles tho. 

Sony & MS are running off a different model to the one apple uses for its non gaming device.

Interestingly tho, i traded in a bunch of my old Xbox 360 games, not all of the ones I own, just the ones i'll never play again.I traded in about 30 games...  Aussie prices for games are higher than in the US.

So i spent roughly $3200 just on the games i traded in, (not including games i kept or my PS3 games, PC games), which is more than i spent on buying my iPad 3, iPod touch & iPhone & all the thousands of apps & games i have. 

Just did a quick bit of reading, for the people that are worried about the state of the video game market, Call of duty Ghosts, made over a billion dollars on its opening day, GTA 5 made 800 million & GTA 5 is only out on PS3 & Xbox 360, those 2 titles made almost 2 billion dollars, in one day, i don't think the game industry has anything to worry about at the moment. 

• Reply 33 of 43
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

From time to time DED gets carried away with his adjectives and becomes ripe for having fun poked at him.

"Very worthless"? How might that be different from "somewhat worthless" or "slightly worthless"?

Inquiring minds want to know.

It's like Borderlands, people who question DED on these forums may find themselves "slightly obliterated."

• Reply 34 of 43
    gtr wrote: »
    In 2014 I highly recommend, in order to more accurately reflect their position, that they change their name once again.

To 'Godzilla'.

And Samsung should be renamed to Just Xeroxed It
  • Reply 35 of 43
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

It's like Borderlands, people who question DED on these forums may find themselves "slightly obliterated."

So you're saying that DED - a paragon of objectivity, principles and reserve - could possibly take offense at a humorous grammatical correction - and thus stoop so low as to chop off one of his friends and supporters at the kneecaps?

Oh, perish the thought!

• Reply 36 of 43
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    philboogie wrote: »
    And Samsung should be renamed to Just Xeroxed It

Or even just "Xerox".

;)
  • Reply 37 of 43
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

I don't get the point of this editorial, Its Apples & oranges.

Apple doesn't make something that competes in the home console gaming space.

You could argue that the iPod touch or iPad takes the sales away from the 3DS or PS Vita, not the full gaming consoles tho. 

Agreed the iPad doesn't really fit in the gaming console sector, but it actually fits in that sector better than it would in the 'PC' segment.  Tablets are still generally vastly inferior for most core purposes people need PC's for.  Tablets did take a bite out of the PC market from the users that really didn't need PC's but wanted to play games, read email, and browse the web.   Playing games, reading email, and browsing the web are things the consoles games do well, so it probably fits in better in that category and tablets are probably going to displace gaming consoles to a larger extent than PC's.

If you need a PC you need a PC.  On the other hand, "okay Billy, for Christmas if you could pick one, would you want an Xbox, PS4, or iPad" is a fairly likely zero sum choice a few kids out there are being given.

At the same time, the iPad just doesn't fit quite right in the gaming console segment either.  Tablets are just tablets, their own category.

• Reply 38 of 43
    gtr wrote: »

Or even just "Xerox".

;)

And transition logo:

• Reply 39 of 43
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frood View Post

If you need a PC you need a PC.  On the other hand, "okay Billy, for Christmas if you could pick one, would you want an Xbox, PS4, or iPad" is a fairly likely zero sum choice a few kids out there are being given.

At the same time, the iPad just doesn't fit quite right in the gaming console segment either.  Tablets are just tablets, their own category.

Fair points.

the way i see it tho, a console is out for 7 - 8 years before they get out of date.

So a parent who has a few kids could get one system for the household, so if a kid got an iPad one year, the same console is still out the following year or 8, Besides that, most gamers are between 25 - 35, older people have more money & since the systems are out for a while, why choose when people can & do get both?.

iPads are companion devices to the next gen console, you can help your friends in battle field 4 (PC, XBOX one & PS4) by using your iPad to do support role stuff, send supply shipments to team mates & use cannons. 

Every single one of my friends has at least one console, most have a few, quite a few have iPads, some have android tablets. 

The more i look into it the more i see that the iPad doesn't compete with gaming consoles, it really doesn't, its logical that people who cant afford a tablet & a console might have to make a choice not because of overlapping function, just purely on budget, But if most people wanted a tablet (in the first world), it wouldn't be a choice between an iPad & the PS4, it might be between the iPad & a computer (which covers the general persons IT needs) heres the interesting thing, people do make the choice between say a PS4 & a PC, thats not for their IT needs, its for gaming.

the iPad is in a different universe when it comes to gaming, any console or PC is so far superior to any tablet when it comes to gaming.

I love my iPads, ill keep buying them, but besides a few minutes of playing a basic puzzle game or some angry birds, its a horrible gaming experience comparatively, graphics are not the reason for this, the controls are, the controls are your means to enter the game, touch screen has no feed back, its a very very sterile gaming experience, Apple obviously noticed this & added controller APIs to iOS 7 so people can use controllers for their iOS devices, which might change the game. we will see, for now tho, an iPad does not replace a gaming console, nor should it.

when someone is sitting in their lounge room, do they whip out their iPad to watch movies?, no, you turn on your big TV, people have an iPad with them, to do some web surfing & maybe check IMDB, when someone is at home wanting to play games, who honestly believes someone would use an iPad over anything else?.

Console gaming is making more money than ever!, its actually growing, it has nothing to do with the Android VS iOS thing thats going on, its on a different field. 

every iOS device is amazing at what it does, gaming is a bonus thing it can do, its not what it does primarily or what it was designed for.

anything that does its primary job very well should be better at it than something that does it on the side & its true again here & that is totally ok.

If i want  to listen to music i turn on my stereo system (hooked up to my mac mini) or listen to my iPod touch, my iPad can do this but its not the way i prefer to do it.

when i want to watch movies, i watch them on my big TV.

when i want to take photos, i use my DSLR.

When i want to do any of those things but i didn't plan for it, my iPhone/iPad can do any of these things & that is why they are truly amazing, they do not replace any of those things tho. 

Thats how i see it anyways.

• Reply 40 of 43
    jason98 wrote: »
    Wonder what it would take for Apple to "move" iPad into PC category. Perhaps iOS version of XCODE would stop this "media tablet" nonsense from the research firms.
    I think Xcode will have advantages on Mac OS for years, maybe about 2020 will be when apple does such a thing

Gamers this year see Xbox one, PS4, wii u, and powerful desktop as inmobile video game options. Then portable as DS, PS vita, IPad, light laptop as mobile video game options.