Nokia takes page from Microsoft in new Lumia ad, goes after iPad's lack of physical keyboard

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    This is sorta advertising the IPad, more than there device, the complainer bought what no one else wants, plus the no keyboard and small battery thing is off, the IPad has better battery life and can be used with a keyboard, or like the comercial, when you want to watch movies and stuff, tablet, when you want to type, it's a laptop(hince a laptop is tablet+keyboard.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

I'm still waiting for this to take off :D

Virtual keyboard could revolutionise telephone usage

• Reply 43 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hentaiboy wrote: »

That would have been considered prior art if Apple had released a Kinect-based product instead of Apple, but since no one cares about MS that never happened.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    Office is the real and potent threat.

Apple needs an alternative to Office (iWork hasn't caught on). It would be Game Over.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    Originally Posted by 8thman View Post

Apple needs an alternative to Office (iWork hasn't caught on).

Be quiet.

• Reply 46 of 50
    Interestingly, the Nokia keyboard is a $149 add-on although I guess that now they released the ad they have decided to give it away with the purchase of a 2520. My Logitech Ultimate Keyboard case is only $99 and I would guess provides the same functionality. Best of all though, when I want to travel light, I can dump the keyboard and still have a very capable tablet. Is Nokia's message that to be productive you have to carry the keyboard? That has to add extra weight to it's already hefty almost 1.5 lb weight.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    That's right. Seems a lot of people are not aware that there are Bluetooth keyboards that work like a charm with the iPads. For real typing work, a proper keyboard with tactile feedback is the way to go. Just bring the keyboard along on occasions where rapid typing is called for. Other times, leave that keyboard at home. If you are not using a proper keyboard, you are not doing serious typing work. Microsoft don't get it. Likewise with Nokia.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveBl0bs View Post

Poor Tallest Skil, you must be ill to know Blobby is back!  I am deliverer of justice against fruity flavoured oppression!   Samsung have people like me watching forum like this so beware!

Blobby, blobby blobby!

happy birthday kid.You're now 2 years old.

• Reply 49 of 50
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    I thought the STYLE of the ad was actually pretty funny. The voice-over and stuff.

But the content is a different story...

There's a great deal of power in open-ended choice. I think this power is what companies like MS and N dread, because they know, given that power, many people will buy iPads over either of their products. Their shallow, manipulative advertisement style reflects this fear. Comparison commercials like this always remind me of detergent commercials back in the day. You have "our brand" and "the other brand"...where the comparison process "proves" who is better. "See, we have shown you proof." Logic like "white is brighter than grey", and "hot is hotter than cold" really all come out as pretty bland ways to promote what could be so much more like art.

"We believe we've created something beautiful. If you like it, we know you'll buy it."

That sort of stance to me really exudes confidence and makes a product appealing. It respects me as a buyer, and gives me credit for having good taste. (Samsung trolls...are you listening? These are the keys to Apple's success! Take notes lol)

As far as the silly specifics of the ad, just ask yourself:

-Which tablet got the most attention in the commercial due to its physical attractiveness? Didn't see anyone oohing and aahing at the Nokia.

-If the guy wants a macbook pro, that's up to him. But Apple makes a pretty awesome portable notebook called a macbook air - ever hear of that one Noki-soft? Funny how it didn't make the cut for bashing in the ad. Oh that's right, then you couldn't have called it a "beast". The MBP actually IS a beast, but not in the way they meant it.

-Is this what people really do at coffee shops these days...play a game of "mine is thinner than yours"...and "my battery lasts longer than yours, you idiot"?

-If this guy ran out of battery on his iPad, it means he forgot to charge it this WEEK. All devices that run on battery eventually need to be charged..... that's what the charger is for.

-These are not two devices designed for the same types of people. People who want to pretend to do things in a new way can get their Nokia. And people who want to actually do those same things in a truly new way can enjoy their iPad. Cause the actual hardware - as attractive and fast and light as it may be - doesn't matter as much as software in the end. Software is what changes how you do things, and what you can accomplish, and considerably adds to how enjoyable it all it along the way.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

I'm still waiting for this to take off :D

Virtual keyboard could revolutionise telephone usage

The problem inherent in this idea, of course, is our hands. Blocking the light. Light needed to project and display the keyboard. Hands get involved, it'll be shadows instead of keys. Nice red QWERTY stretched across the back of your hand.

Nokia is welcome to make a go of it though. Using Microsoft's R&D budget! GO!