Bizarre Microsoft Windows 8.1 ad pleads: "Honestly, it works for work"

135

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 88
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by edslunch View Post



    Ok, enough about the Excel 'error' already. It obviously was someone entering a value but not saving it yet. Does it look bad in an ad, sure, but let it go already it's not an Excel bug. I love AI but often your bias is taken to new levels of hubris

    Methinks you're missing the point entirely. No one's saying it's an Excel bug. No one's saying Excel can't ad numbers. 

     

    The claim is that it's sloppy advertising work. It may have been created by an ad agency, but it got Microsoft's stamp of approval. Yeah, the error is trivial and silly, but as yet another little indication of Microsoft's sloppiness, it should be mocked far and wide.

  • Reply 42 of 88
    inkling wrote: »
    There's an interesting pattern to human behavior.

    The stronger someone stresses their honesty, the more likely it is that they're lying.

    Like all the concern trolls who post, "I love Apple, but let's be honest..."
  • Reply 43 of 88
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 2,491member

    A much better effort here, Microsoft!

     

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y2mqoDjQXI

  • Reply 44 of 88
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Hey Microsoft.
    You're advertising it wrong.

    That's truer than true!!

    When a salesman uses the word, "HONESTLY" it means he's been lying up to that point.... so anything he says is doubtful. That's got to be the first time in History an ad used that word in that fashion!
  • Reply 45 of 88
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,244member

    I just can't comprehend how a company can be so ubiquitous and yet so inefficient at everything.

     

    The day Microsoft Office finally dies there will be a massive leap in productivity.

  • Reply 46 of 88
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

     

     

    So, uh, what was your point again?


    He meant that it is supposed to be 900 million what was written was 900 thousand.   MS write off for surface tabs was 900 million.  It looks like it has been corrected now in the article.

  • Reply 47 of 88
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post



    Killer of the Surface2

     

    Yeah, it completely undermines the Surface 2 by offering a complete x86 version of Windows.  Microsoft should have used x86 hardware inside the Surface 2, even Anand from Anandtech felt that way.  Instead another company will have to produce a premium Z3770 device (of course without the surface name).

  • Reply 48 of 88
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    nasserae wrote: »
    Microsoft's identity problem.. just like Blackberry. They don't know if they want to be for business or consumers! Notice how they have Netflix and Halo app with the word Business in the same ad. 

    Not to mention the other none work apps. But then again if they removed those apps from the product they wouldn't have any other apps to show...
  • Reply 49 of 88
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post





    Not to mention the other none work apps. But then again if they removed those apps from the product they wouldn't have any other apps to show...

    The T100 in their ad is running x86 Windows 8.1, not Windows RT.

  • Reply 50 of 88
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,336member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cynic View Post



    Microsoft Excel on it? Sorry, that's not a selling point for the regular consumer - not at all. That's like selling refrigerators in Antarctica.

     

    Excel: The New Adobe Flash

  • Reply 51 of 88
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    edslunch wrote: »
    Ok, enough about the Excel 'error' already. It obviously was someone entering a value but not saving it yet. Does it look bad in an ad, sure, but let it go already it's not an Excel bug. I love AI but often your bias is taken to new levels of hubris

    Excel, the spreadsheet of choice, as used by Enron.

    There, that make you feel better?
  • Reply 52 of 88
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,336member

    Simple. They are inefficient at stopping piracy, resulting in millions of illegitimate copies of stuff. Of course the one thing they did well was work with manufacturers to hide the cost of software into the hardware, thereby getting around the piracy problem.

  • Reply 53 of 88
    mac'em x wrote: »
    Methinks you're missing the point entirely. No one's saying it's an Excel bug. No one's saying Excel can't ad numbers. 

    The claim is that it's sloppy advertising work. It may have been created by an ad agency, but it got Microsoft's stamp of approval. Yeah, the error is trivial and silly, but as yet another little indication of Microsoft's sloppiness, it should be mocked far and wide.
    I have no problem mocking Microsoft for advertising failures like this. But when AI has an article showing how Numbers does it correctly then devotes a reasonable amount of this article rehashing the same problem and expecting a correction from MS well that's just over the top
  • Reply 54 of 88
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    inkling wrote: »
    There's an interesting pattern to human behavior.

    The stronger someone stresses their honesty, the more likely it is that they're lying.

    Like all the concern trolls who post, "I love Apple, but let's be honest..."

    Or pretty much any post that starts with a description of the Apple products the poster owns.
  • Reply 55 of 88
    So, in reality, Microsoft's elaborate misleading spreadsheets have hidden the fact that the $900,00,000 Surface RT write-off was actually $2,500,000,000. At least those things are useful for something.
  • Reply 56 of 88
    Money doesn't solve anything, unless you're paying smart employees.
  • Reply 57 of 88
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post



    Money doesn't solve anything, unless you're paying smart employees.

    I'm sure MS employees are smart enough having passed a Microsoft interview (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_interview). The problem lies in the upper management.

  • Reply 58 of 88
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,391member
    The only problem is that Windows Phone 7/8 isn’t any good, nor are the phones it’s on.

    Please elaborate
  • Reply 59 of 88
    digiclip and edslunch, if they haven't hit enter yet, why does the value show up in the pie chart? Maybe the pie chart is anticipating the value that would be entered?
  • Reply 60 of 88
    cletus wrote: »
    In nature, an animal caught by its throat wiggles a bit, rolls its eyes and then lets its tongue hang out in tacit acceptance of its fate. It is time for Microsoft to do likewise.

    This is about as close as Microsoft got to date, not counting when Ballmer rolled his eyes at the first mention of the iPhone...

    700
Sign In or Register to comment.