Apple, Inc. stock breaks $545 barrier as Samsung calls 'Crisis Awareness' meeting

Comments

• Reply 101 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I'd hardly describe Samsung as a company in crisis. They essentially own the Android market & are highly successful in other electronic areas.

Their exponential growth had to slow eventually as it was all at the expense of other Andriod handset manufacturers & there isn't really any market share to take any more.

Completely agree. I'm sure that they'd like to sell more units without the huge promotional costs, but they are in a fine spot. If there were no iOS, I would most likely own a Samsung device. They do a great job of copying ideas and reimplementing them cheaply. They are not innovators nor leaders. If need to come to terms with that or substantially change their organization.

Tangent... somewhat... I'm surprised that no one (i.e. Samsung or Blackberry) has hired Scott Forstall. Perhaps he was a bit of a jerk, but he did have ideas and tried to embrace "being Jobs". I wonder if he had a non-compete in his termination package.

• Reply 102 of 205
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Eleven View Post

"many people are foretelling that downfall of Samsung is coming" So now it's, Samsung is doomed? ...please people.

Well, I think it's going to be a lot tougher for them in the coming years since Apple is going to release larger screen iPhones and iPads (at least according to the rumors), the are implementing 64 bit iOS devices before Android, and Apple is gearing up more production and to handle China Mobile, which is a HUGE potential if/when they start kicking out the large screen iPhones.  It would be cool if they kicked out a poly carb and a higher end aluminum (or whatever case material they end up using) for the larger screen model(s).    That's where the money is and that's the market segment they've avoided so far is the larger screen market.  The market that Apple is avoiding that Samsung goes after is the El Cheapo smartphone market which doesn't make profit, it's more a chip/product dumping exercise to gain market share.  But Apple will gain more market share in the larger screen/more profitable market segment.

• Reply 103 of 205

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post

Peter Oppenheimer is a star in my book, and gets a thumbs-up!  Once he figures out how to close the retail stores, he should be promoted to the CEO position. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Please put down the "Scottish Blend" because you're obviously inebriated and gonna fall off your stool. Metaphorically and thematically you already have! image

Wait... I'm genuinely interested to hear the theory.

MalcolmTucker: Why would you suggest closing the retail channel? Because, as humans, getting closer to your customer on a personal basis is generally considered a good thing. The success of the Apple store is not the "marketplace", but rather the social in person interaction with the staff, geniuses and other customers. So... please explain.

• Reply 104 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by barthrh View Post

Wait... I'm genuinely interested to hear the theory.

MalcolmTucker: Why would you suggest closing the retail channel? Because, as humans, getting closer to your customer on a personal basis is generally considered a good thing. The success of the Apple store is not the "marketplace", but rather the social in person interaction with the staff, geniuses and other customers. So... please explain.

Closing the Retail stores?  Are you kidding me?  That's part of Apple's success.  They get a lot of sales and not to mention more qualified people, they get their products in the hands of the consumer in a much better environment, they have people there to handhold new users during the setup process and ability to quickly take care of people that want further assistance and training and to have someone help them do break fix.

Apple Stores is well done in a LOT of areas.  

anyone that thinks they should shut down the Apple Stores is a complete idiot.

They managed to come out of no where and become the model for retail stores in not only how they have them organized and managed, but they manage to make more profit per sq foot than the most successful retail stores in history with the most amount of revenue per sq foot.  They BLOW away everyone in the retail market.

It's definitely helped them increase market share in all aspects of what they do in terms of iDevices, but also laptops and desktops.  I just think the desktop market has been stagnant because of the iDevices taking over and people see less of a need for a traditional desktop/laptop.  Plus, it seems as though computers tend to last a lot longer.  There are people that seem to not update their computers as often as they used to.

• Reply 105 of 205

I'm gonna use chrome from now on lol.

Amazing how their advertising will cost 14 billion times what their R&D does lol.

• Reply 106 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

I'm gonna use chrome from now on lol.

Amazing how their advertising will cost 14 billion times what their R&D does lol.

Chromebooks don't make any money, nor are they selling well. At all.  They have 1% of the market and they just aren't doing that well from a profitability standpoint. It's just a barebones basic system that you can't do much with  other than browse the internet and do light basic computing, but anything serious? HAHAHAHAHA. Chromebook is probably going to flop.  The best example of a POS platform.   It barely qualifies as a laptop.  I wouldn't even classify it as a REAL Operating System.  I guess there are suckers born every minute.

• Reply 107 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Chromebooks don't make any money, nor are they selling well. At all.  They have 1% of the market and they just aren't doing that well from a profitability standpoint. It's just a barebones basic system that you can't do much with  other than browse the internet and do light basic computing, but anything serious? HAHAHAHAHA. Chromebook is probably going to flop.  The best example of a POS platform.   It barely qualifies as a laptop.  I wouldn't even classify it as a REAL Operating System.  I guess there are suckers born every minute.

chrome book??

y would any1 use that??

I meant google chrome.

you saw how it fit "net worth of Microsoft CEO Steve ballmer" after the $14 billion??

edit:apparently it's the net worth of mark zuckerburg as well.

edit2:zuckerburg is at 9.4 billion and ballmer is at 15.9 billion.

back to safari I go.

• Reply 108 of 205

600 layoffs of inept management

• Reply 109 of 205

Dream on

• Reply 110 of 205

Wonder how much they spent on the watch that sold about 100 units.

• Reply 111 of 205

Solution is easy. Innovate instead of copy.

But innovation is not in their DNA.

All Korea does in any product is copy.

• Reply 112 of 205

Communicating devices. Washing machines will be fine.

• Reply 113 of 205

AAPL does not need magic. Magic is illusion. AAPL is reality.

• Reply 114 of 205

Obama is buying them for welfare recipients

• Reply 115 of 205

AAPL is one of, if not the largest taxpayer in the US. It is the worlds most valuable company.

To compare market share in the US to Korea is like comparing an ocean to a lily pond.

Your comment is an inane spin on reality.

• Reply 116 of 205
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post

Lee Clow's ad agency is great.

As for the mobile app developer marketplace, well, Nokia actually created that.  However, Apple used its marketshare and reach from the iPod line, and intergrated itunes distribution.   Nokia really struggled to get apps.

As for your final point, well, 75% of iPhones are sold through carriers, and you could purchase an iPad from Target..!  So, there's room for improvement.  The market is already served through other retailers.  Apple is just duplicating efforts.  So, if Peter Oppenheimer can lay off half of his workforce (I think this is why Ron Johnson quit), he'd save the company more money than any type of income tax scheme!

WTF are you talking about?!  From the Q4 report:

Quote:

Apple shared new numbers about its retail stores, announcing a total of $4.5 billion in revenue which is up 6% from the year-ago quarter. According to Apple, iPhone sales are up 36% per store per week, and the company opened 8 new stores in the quarter, bringing the total number of Apple Retail Stores to 416 total, with 162 located outside of the United States.

Average revenue per store was at $10.9 million, down from $11.2 million last year. Apple saw 99 million visitors to an average of 411 Apple stores during the September quarter, equating to approximately 18,500 visitors per store per week.

Seriously, if you EVER have ANYTHING to do with running any publicaly traded company, PLEASE let me know.  I really, really don't want any of that stock.

• Reply 117 of 205
    @ Michael Suozzi

Can you please stay on topic and put it in a single post? Thanks much.
  • Reply 118 of 205

It's a guess; but likely the best REAL answer...  My guess is that Apple is finally going to release Flash for the iPhone/iPad, now that they've managed to develop processors and chips that are fast enough for Flash.

That's the "Crisis Awareness Meeting" worth discussion.

• Reply 119 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Seriously, if you EVER have ANYTHING to do with running any publicaly traded company, PLEASE let me know.  I really, really don't want any of that stock.

Boy, you seem real angry when you write.  Are all Apple shareholders terminally angry?  If so, you may need a new apple product or an app.  I'm usually correct about these types of things.  :-) 

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

• Reply 120 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Just block "Malcolm Tucker". You'll be much happier when his posts don't appear in your thread view.