Review: Philips Hue Personal Wireless Lighting Starter Pack

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27

I've had the Hue lights for a while and recently added Lightstrips, Blooms, and the new BR30 bulbs.  For the common rooms (e.g., kitchen, family room, den) we typically use the CT color mode of the bulbs.  This is the mode that lets you pick a wide range of white colors from 2000K through 6535K.  Some of our accent lights use the Hue/Saturation mode with the broad color spectrum.

You can use the "Hue Lights" app to set the light attributes at a very granular level and then add these to your favorite scenes.

As a complement to your iOS device you can also trigger interesting automation sequences using the Hue SDK.  For example, I have a cron job that triggers a wake-up sequence that adjusts the Hue lights, announces the day's weather using Festival's Text-to-Speech, and opens some motorized blinds.

I hope other smart bulb manufactures also open their APIs.  You can put together some fun and practical use cases.

• Reply 22 of 27
    redareda Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightbow View Post

There are actually a ton of third-party apps that collectively do hundreds of specific use cases. If your doorbell supports IFTTT (If This Then That) you could easily set up the use case you describe for the hearing-impaired.

That's true, the ton of third party apps and integration with IFTTT is what made me choose Hue over LIFX. LIFX is a bit better in specification though.

• Reply 23 of 27
    Well I know it shows a blue in the picture above but there is no way this can produce a blue, Lavender perhaps but not blue no where near blue I know because I own one and Phillips is willing to give back my money because it can't make a true blue. I have LED strips and they produce blue but not this on the only blue I see is on their bridge. So that blue you see in the picture is misleading and not true look at the light it's lavender but the wall is Blue? Nice design / shape but it fell short on blue far short.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Originally Posted by Ronj View Post

there is no way this can produce a blue

Why?

So that blue you see in the picture is misleading…

• Reply 25 of 27

I actually saw the same complaint before in the comments on the philips hue review done by smartbulbreviews. Their answer in the comments was this "Philips made a compromise favoring the quality and accuracy of white light over deep colors. Instead of a pure RGB LEDs, Philips Hue is using lime green, royal blue, and orange red. This mix produces a high color rendering index (CRI) which gives a more natural looking white light either cool or warm which is more appropriate for a home living room."

• Reply 26 of 27

I actually saw the same complaint in the comments on the Philips Hue in smartbulbreviews. Their answer was this "Philips made a compromise favoring the quality and accuracy of white light over deep colors. Instead of a pure RGB LEDs, Philips Hue is using lime green, royal blue, and orange red. This mix produces a high color rendering index (CRI) which gives a more natural looking white light either cool or warm which is more appropriate for a home living room." 

• Reply 27 of 27
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

I have Phillips Hue and it does intact produce very rich blues and purples. Actually where it's lacking for me is in the green side of the color gamut. This picture is pretty saturated though so I imagine it's how the shot was composed and post-processed.  But again, I've found the blue to be very rich.