Android users accounted for 40% of Apple's iPad sales on Black Friday - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    creepcreep Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Fear not, there will be some moron Fandroid here that will spin this story.

No fandroid here, but the spin is in the accuracy (or inaccuracy, as it were) of the analytics firm, InfoScout.  I believe their source data is gathered from consumers who volunteer their purchase information by submitting photos of purchase receipts.  I don't know if this means they have a native app for both platforms, but you can put 2 and 2 together to realize that they may not be working with truly representative datasets.  This isn't culled from inventory reports or anything close to being objective.  

• Reply 22 of 53
    What I don't understand is why there needs to be a string of "Loyalty" to a certain tech brand. I love my Nexus Devices, I own an iPhone (Spare) and I don't see why it would be "Incredible" news if I bought an iPad. I wouldn't mind having one to mix it up a bit, because they are in fact pretty fun to use for games and such, but I simply prefer Android. IOS is great and given the opportunity to obtain the best of both operating systems would be great. I just don't see why this is such amazing news.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    I don't understand the first line of the leader for this story.

"Android loyalty does not seem to extend to tablets..."

What Android loyalty? This and other sites are always running stories about how more people move from Adroid to iOS than the other way. Heck, there is even an article just a few before this about how 50% of iPhone 5c buyers were previous Android users.

There is no real loyalty to Android, as is to be expected when so many are purchased purely based on price. These aren't loyal buyers as a general rule.
  • Reply 24 of 53

They probably were mistaken and thought it was a large phone.

• Reply 25 of 53
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

I don't understand the first line of the leader for this story.

"Android loyalty does not seem to extend to tablets..."

What Android loyalty? This and other sites are always running stories about how more people move from Adroid to iOS than the other way. Heck, there is even an article just a few before this about how 50% of iPhone 5c buyers were previous Android users.

There is no real loyalty to Android, as is to be expected when so many are purchased purely based on price. These aren't loyal buyers as a general rule.

That is a true states from what I have seen, people are getting an android phone because they got it free or it was the cheapest thing they can afford. These same people will buy the same cheap thing over and over again not because they are brand loyal, but because it was free or cheap. Brand loyalty only really applies when a consumer has the money and and can choose between brands when price is not a factor to them. Go to any grocery store these days, store brand or no names are taking over the shelves, why, because most people shop prices not who makes the product.

• Reply 26 of 53
    creepcreep Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joshvader8 View Post

What I don't understand is why there needs to be a string of "Loyalty" to a certain tech brand. I love my Nexus Devices, I own an iPhone (Spare) and I don't see why it would be "Incredible" news if I bought an iPad. I wouldn't mind having one to mix it up a bit, because they are in fact pretty fun to use for games and such, but I simply prefer Android. IOS is great and given the opportunity to obtain the best of both operating systems would be great. I just don't see why this is such amazing news.

My friend, you must be new here.  If you're looking for unbiased Apple-related news, you are on the WRONG site.  Seriously.  AI is where the wagons are circled 24/7 and a harmless observation is taken as an affront to the site's (and their readership's) Apple-ness.

I'm just here for the free doughnuts.

• Reply 27 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I have never owned an Android tablet but I would think the biggest drawback would be the lack of native tablet apps. The iPad has how many iPad native apps? Around 300,000 or so I believe. There are a few apps on my iPad that are not native like Kakao Talk and it is really an inferior experience. You can double the size but it just isn't the same. With so many Android tablet sizes and resolutions I would imagine that most apps will not give you an optimum experience. I can understand why some may prefer an Android phone to an iPhone due to screen size but I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would prefer an Android tablet over an iPad on anything other than price. 

"The iPad has how many iPad native apps? Around 300,000 or so I believe"

At the earning call a couple of months ago Apple disclosed that there were over 475,000 iPad Apps, so the number now is probably around 500,000.

However, as well as being much more numerous, every independent survey shows that iPad Apps are far higher quality.

Also according to Good Technology’s survey of 5,000 organisations and companies in 130 countries 95% of all business/enterprise Apps are for iPads.

• Reply 28 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The two most common reasons I read/hear about for not buying an Apple product is cost and a general dislike for Apple.

The former is oft irrational and the latter is always irrational.

Yeah.  I can understand that the consumer has been taught to seek out low price and ignore value.  The one that really mystifies me is the pure dislike for Apple.  Although my informal observation indicates that those people, though they die hare, are slowly dying.  I think the only hold MSFT has on the market is through it's long standing enterprise contracts that effectively lock in the customer.  Individuals are slowly becoming less anti-apple.

• Reply 29 of 53
    This proves that not all Android users in the world are as stupid as the minority who flood blogs with their garbage are.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

iPads have the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the history of consumer electronics.

• Reply 31 of 53
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm actually impressed with how well iOS 7 runs on my iPad 3. It runs so well I'm trying to hold out until Apple revs the machines with a RAM and Flash increase.
    sflocal wrote: »
    I think (former) Android users were getting so fed up buying replacement tablets every so often because they were such crap, that in the long run it was just cheaper to buy an iPad once and be done with it.
    The price difference isn't that huge so it isn't a difficult buy. Beyond that the walled garden does away with many of the problems with Android.

Fear not, there will be some moron Fandroid here that will spin this story.
    I have nothing against people that use other platforms. However when they demonstrate a disconnect from reality the way Android users do at times I really have to wonder. Maybe it is time to reopen the funny farms.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I have to wonder if the rumored 13" iPad will get an A7X or other wise enhanced processor. Cores should not be a measure of performance but in Androids case the operating system and SDK isn't smart enough to leverage them anyways. IOS on the other hand could easily leverage four cores or an enhanced GPU.

Even in an IPAD Pro though I really think the need is for more RAM and SSD. With enough RAM an iPad Pro could easily handle more advanced apps. You know apps pros might want.
    But, but, but.....!!! Walled garden!!! Open!!! Umpteen-cores!!! Cheap!!!
  • Reply 33 of 53
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    vaporland wrote: »
    Future headline:
    The heavily-discounted 32-gigabyte Microsoft Surface RT had the highest gift return ratio of any tech product sold this holiday season....

MS probably paid for this return policy addendum: Return policy not valid on Surfaces unless a hand written note from Bill Gates is included.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    maestro64 wrote: »

That is a true states from what I have seen, people are getting an android phone because they got it free or it was the cheapest thing they can afford. These same people will buy the same cheap thing over and over again not because they are brand loyal, but because it was free or cheap. Brand loyalty only really applies when a consumer has the money and and can choose between brands when price is not a factor to them. Go to any grocery store these days, store brand or no names are taking over the shelves, why, because most people shop prices not who makes the product.

I agree, but do you really think that those that purchased an iPad did it from a cheapo Android phone? I'd say that most people aren't loyal to any one company, their loyalty lays with themselves and they'll choose whatever device that they have deemed best for them. It's no secret that when it comes to tablets, there's nothing that can come close to what the iPad offers.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

The iPad 2 seems to be seen as a sort of 1980's mercedes benz, a bit long in the tooth but quality nevertheless.

I know I haven't felt limited much by my 2. Really the only thing that tempts me into occasionally thinking about upgrading to an Air is the reduced weight. I sometimes find myself reading on my even older Kindle instead just because it's so much lighter. 

• Reply 36 of 53
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Well it's obvious, due to Android's openness anyone familiar with the command line will be able to sync photo's between their awesome Android phone and the iPad viewing platform media consumption device, in a mere seventeen steps.

Google+ is abuzz with two or three people who can help a novice out.

It's funny because it's true.  Apple devices work brilliantly when they stay within the Apple ecosystem but god help the person who wishes to sync an Apple device to a non-Apple device.  It truly is a miserable seventeen step experience that may involve command line interfaces during one or more of those steps.

• Reply 37 of 53
    creep wrote: »
    No fandroid here, but the spin is in the accuracy (or inaccuracy, as it were) of the analytics firm, InfoScout.  I believe their source data is gathered from consumers who volunteer their purchase information by submitting photos of purchase receipts.  I don't know if this means they have a native app for both platforms, but you can put 2 and 2 together to realize that they may not be working with truly representative datasets.  This isn't culled from inventory reports or anything close to being objective.  

Ah, that's the quality FUD I was hoping to see on this thread. From "I believe" and "I don't know" to a spurious "put 2 and 2 together" and voila: Instant doubt! No way an analytics company has any qualifications for statistics. Always believe your gut. And you'll never be disappointed.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    512ke wrote: »
    iPads have the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the history of consumer electronics.

Well of course iPad owners surveyed are going to say that because if they didn't like the iPad, they would return it get something else. See? I just "proved" that the survey is biased for Apple. /s
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Ah, that's the quality FUD I was hoping to see on this thread. From "I believe" and "I don't know" to a spurious "put 2 and 2 together" and voila: Instant doubt! No way an analytics company has any qualifications for statistics. Always believe your gut. And you'll never be disappointed.

Well, ok then.

http://adage.com/article/dataworks/infoscout-mines-receipts-data/244950/

Less FUDdy for you?  Since you won't (or can't) "out" 2 and 2 together, of their panel of 125,000 shoppers (statistically insignificant BTW), a subset went shopping on Black Friday.  A subset of those bought iPads and of that subset, 40% MIGHT own an Android phone.  So from that, we gather that this 40% number holds across the board, reason be damned?  Sounds about right if it paints Apple in a positive light.  I wouldn't expect anything less from such an active member of this forum.

• Reply 40 of 53
    OT, speaking of Android Fans vs. Apple Fans, I just read 'Dogfight' last week. It was pretty interesting, especially the bits that talk about the risks Apple took to get the iPhone launched and the final chapters that talk about how the release of the iPad shook so many industries up. It really makes you appreciate Steve Jobs much more.

The only thing I didn't agree with was the author's claim that Apple sued Samsung because they didn't want any competitors. I really think the obvious theft of design deserved the lawsuit.

AOT (Again, Off-topic), I'm gone for a week and suddenly I see SolipsX posting again! Nice to have his voice in the threads again adding to the regulars like SpamSandwich, Suddenly Newton, jungmark, et al. Welcome back!!