WSJ blasts Apple e-books antitrust judge in scathing editorial

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    Wow! This is heating up. One has to wonder where the Apple hate came from in the first place?

Apple being clever and using loop-holes in the tax code*** comes to mind.

*** Which is perfectly legal and Apple's responsibility to it's shareholders to utilize to the fullest... just so no one thinks I'm complaining here.

I also wouldn't put it past the government to be absolutely flummoxed how to get Apple to kneel to their ways regarding data mining when and how they wish. Not only the touch-security on current iPhones being a "stroke" of genius locking it away in an encrypted chip, but face recognition patents of late tell me that Apple has a leg up... no... 2 legs up on the NSA to date.

Adding pain to misery, the Apple executive team being led by the gentlemanly charms and cunning Tim Cook, is screwing with the governments "take no prisoners" and "we'll do what we damn well want to" guys in government.

So yeah.... I think there's a whole lotta hot lava hate oozing from more than one department that would like to "take 'em down", so to speak.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    The American legal system is a joke! But what should we expect with a U.S. government run by Bozos and clowns?
  • Reply 23 of 67
    ggfggf Posts: 42member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

*I am not, by any stretch, implying that all of the Left is either corrupt or power-grabbing -- indeed, most of it is not; simply pointing out to whom the NYT is beholden.

Other words come to mind to describe the rest of them, self serving, narrow minded, gullible, deluded, luddites and dreamers

• Reply 24 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    blastdoor wrote: »
    Huh... I don't exactly trust the editorial page of the WSJ, but this situation does seem pretty odd. Ultimately this will not be resolved by editorials, but by a legal process. If this judge has broken the law or acted improperly, she made a big mistake doing it against Apple -- Apple has the resources to pursue this process as far as it needs to go.

The real shame of our legal system is that it heavily favors those with the deepest pockets who can afford to fund endless litigation. If this judge had picked on a financially weaker company or person, she would probably get away with it.

So far she's gotten away with it, so being financially strong hasn't helped.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    mj web wrote: »
    The American legal system is a joke! But what should we expect with a U.S. government run by Bozos and clowns?

Don't you mean Bezos? :lol:
  • Reply 26 of 67
    cfabre wrote: »
    The US intelligence complex wants an unfettered backdoor in Apple's rock-solid ecosystem.

I have tried to outline this in a previous post last week or so.

Apple should just buy a MLB team and then they'll be exempt from antitrust laws.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ggf View Post

Quote:

*I am not, by any stretch, implying that all of the Left is either corrupt or power-grabbing -- indeed, most of it is not; simply pointing out to whom the NYT is beholden.

Other words come to mind to describe the rest of them, self serving, narrow minded, gullible, deluded, luddites and dreamers

And the Right, then.....?

• Reply 28 of 67

For a Judge to err is human, that's why there are appeals.

However, if an investigation were to reveal that she colluded with Michael Bromwich for a money grab then she would be in a lot of trouble.

This whole thing including the DOJ and Amazon's involvement stinks to high heavens.

• Reply 29 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Apple being clever and using loop-holes in the tax code*** comes to mind.

Companies like Amazon and Google don't take advantage of tax loopholes!?

Although it is (slowly) changing, Amazon's business model was quite substantially founded on arbitraging sales taxes across state lines.

• Reply 30 of 67
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wow! This is heating up. One has to wonder where the Apple hate came from in the first place?

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/07/apple-finds-dc-is-tough-without-friends-94948.html

“Everybody gets a shot at being a fair-haired boy and that can keep the regulators away for a while. But nobody stays favored forever. That’s why you need friends.”

• Reply 31 of 67
    ggfggf Posts: 42member
    Quote:

And the Right, then.....?

touché

It is always easier to see the faults in others than to see your own

• Reply 32 of 67
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

As I've written before, Bromwich should be permitted to do exactly one thing:   he should automatically be sent a copy of any proposed contract between Apple and any eBooks publisher to see what the pricing and royalty model is.    That's it.   He doesn't need to reside at Apple and he doesn't need to interview anybody (unless he sees a clause in the contract that violates the Agreement).    And he doesn't need a staff.   There probably aren't that many contracts in which Apple doesn't use the same boilerplate as their other such contracts.     And he should be paid reasonably as a lawyer should be paid, but that should certainly not be $100K a week.

I'll do it for $5K a week and laugh all the way to the bank.   I'm sure there are law firms who would do it for $1K a week: they'd just assign it to some law clerk.    

This sounds to me like the schemes in which a lawyer assigns a friend to manage an estate and the estate manager winds up stealing half the estate via over-charging for management fees. 

Apple should reject any request other than reviewing a proposed contract.   If Bromwich accuses them of violating the Agreement, he'd probably be doing Apple a favor by dragging them back into court, especially if any kind of appeal can go before a different judge. 

• Reply 33 of 67
    ireland wrote: »
    Holy crap! You serious?

The Fortune article is a link in the story, but yes, that is my impression, because I just happened to read the Fortune article right before reading this one. However, since they cited it and the original WSJ piece, I am not implying there's anything "wrong" with that. That's the nature of the site: mostly repackaging original content from other sources. Sort of like an Apple news/rumor aggregator, with festive Google Ads sprinkled on top.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    This whole case truly makes my head spin. Going to the WSJ and reading the comment section there is mostly an exercise in the vast spectrum of political spin doctoring leaning heavily toward the side of 'well, all those SV democrats supported Obama so I hope they finally learn but I doubt it' kind of thing. At least one very serious commenter believes that Bromwich is also empowered to determine why Apples hardware 'costs so much more than the market average'.

I find the close relationship between the judge and the inquisitor curious and to me it smacks of malfeasance, at least I hope that qualifies as malfeasance … This Bromwich is obviously super well-connected, not just with the judge. I hope this editorial and more like it can bring more of a spotlight to this judicially sanctioned harassment. 

This has nothing to do with Obama or Holder or any public aspect of our government. There is a shadow government running things, has been for many years. (Not directing this at you, battiato 1981)

It's naive to think otherwise. Y'all had better check out the post that cfabre links to above at post 17. You are wasting your energy on strawmen.

Safari crahed twice on the making and editing of this post. Using iOS 7.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

What does the government want from Apple that Apple has chosen not to provide?

Access to iMessage and all your iCloud data.

• Reply 36 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Access to iMessage and all your iCloud data.

They can just get the data content from AT&T, Verizon and the like.

I think it's a shakedown for money and potentially people in the DoJ bureaucracy hoping that Apple will see the light and offer some of these DoJ people cushy jobs so Apple no longer runs afoul of the DoJ in the future.  To bring in some "DoJ expertise" to Cupertino.  We sort of see that already when it comes to what happens to most IRS agents.

• Reply 37 of 67
    Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

They can just get the data content from AT&T, Verizon and the like.

And just sit on it because it’s encrypted. Yeah, that’s what they want¡

• Reply 38 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And just sit on it because it’s encrypted. Yeah, that’s what they want¡

Exactly. They want the keys because they can't hot wire the car.

• Reply 39 of 67
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

From a small group of people who had to pay a couple of bucks more for some of the eBooks they wanted to buy.

That and Bezo's boathouse.

• Reply 40 of 67
    hill60 wrote: »
    From a small group of people who had to pay a couple of bucks more for some of the eBooks they wanted to buy.

That could very easily afford it.