China Mobile denies iPhone deal, insists talks ongoing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Word of the deal first emerged in the Wall Street Journal late Wednesday, but a followup report from CNNMoney just hours later refuted the "insider information" with a statement from a China Mobile saying nothing had been signed, but instead that negotiations were "in progress."
    Nothing was signed but hands were shook.
    The deal is done. The rest is just formalities.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 512ke View Post
    C'mon Apple make it not only an iPad Christmas, but also an APPL Christmas.

That's what I want for Christmas, Santa!  APPL UP not APPL back down to 390.

Not an actual investor, I see.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    I'd rather have AAPL over $600 for Christmas...
  • Reply 24 of 56
    ah, as a lowly common folk, no investor, wtf do I care.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    Has China Mobile also denied the Xinhua News Agency report?
  • Reply 26 of 56
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    China !Mobile looks like a good match: just as determined as Apple in controlling their own news.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    vaporland wrote: »
    NYT sometimes misses the mark but you have no idea what you're talking about

Two words: mike daisy.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

NYT sometimes misses the mark but you have no idea what you're talking about

Two words: mike daisy.

Daisy was a walk in the park compared to Judith Miller and Jayson Blair.

• Reply 29 of 56
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    From what I know about Chinese culture he may be saying this to "save face"
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Given the huge take off of the iPhone 5s in Japan, China mobile
    has to be anxious to get this deal done but in classic Asian fashion feels
    obliged to horse trade to the end. Apple, my friends is in the cat bird seat here.
    Actually kind of fun watching China Mobile squirm and twist knowing they are against the
    wall, needing to consummate this deal by the Dec 18th network announcement for full effect. Stick it to them Tim.......
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

It simply means that the Chinese are pulling their traditional dick moves right up til the last minute. It will happen soon enough.

Why is this blatantly racist rant allowed to stay on this site?

Why is no one else calling this racist out for this?

Shame on all of you.

• Reply 32 of 56
    ForThought is exactly right. If cornered by the press, officials of both CM and Apple can only say no comment or negotiations ongoing until an official announcement. There is a lot of circumstantial evidence for Dec. 18 and as a long time Apple watcher, I am 80% certain it is Dec 18.

To SactoJoe, I would strongly presume that Apple has built up an inventory for CM for launch behind the scenes.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Why is this blatantly racist rant allowed to stay on this site? Why is no one else calling this racist out for this?

Be…cause it isn’t? 

• Reply 34 of 56
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Be…cause it isn’t? 

We'll replace Chinese with a "protected" minority group.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Be…cause it isn’t? 

I've personally been in enough negotiations with Chinese suppliers to know exactly what the person was talking about. There are consultants that can be hired by companies who do nothing but negotiate with Chinese suppliers.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Quote:

Why is no one else calling this racist out for this? Shame on all of you.

I seemed to have missed the racist part.
    Wait, I get it. You are one of those on the far left leaning who can't win an argument so you simply call the other side racist.
    You've never had to make deals with Chinese companies.
    Obviously, you are the racist as you seem to think that they should be the same as you. To pretend that there are no differences in cultures & attitudes is racist.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared Porter View Post

WSJ NEVER does Apple any favors in their reporting. They COULD have at least checked with Apple PR directly for a comment before they issued the consummation of the deal as being FACT, even though they admitted they had only one (anonymous) source instead of at least the normal two. Apple would have told them that there was nothing to announce. Instead WSJ wanted to jump the gun, and they got a false scoop. Problem is, this victimizes Apple as perhaps looking unorganized or overly anxious, especially in the popular Chinese perception and in the potential investor's mindset?

Apple PR isn't going to say anything until there's an official announcement, because they can't. Generally the WSJ has pretty reliable sources. My guess is that someone at China Mobile jumped the gun and told a WSJ reporter there was a deal. My guess is that there is a deal in principle, but they are still hammering out the final details such as exactly how many China Mobile will commit to buy and how much they will subsidize it.

• Reply 39 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Quote:

Why is no one else calling this racist out for this? Shame on all of you.

I seemed to have missed the racist part.

Wait, I get it. You are one of those on the far left leaning who can't win an argument so you simply call the other side racist.

You've never had to make deals with Chinese companies.

Obviously, you are the racist as you seem to think that they should be the same as you. To pretend that there are no differences in cultures & attitudes is racist.

What a fucking joke?

So you're saying that it's the province of an open-minded person to rant about what he perceives to be real stereotype of a racial group. If you think it's true, then it's ok to say whatever, right? 

In that case, why don't you go ahead and give us some example of what it is like to negotiate or hang out with Jews, Chinese, Koreans, African Americans, Russians and Italians. Go ahead, I dare you.

• Reply 40 of 56
    What a fucking joke?

So you're saying that it's the province of an open-minded person to rant about what he perceives to be real stereotype of a racial group. If you think it's true, then it's ok to say whatever, right? 

In that case, why don't you go ahead and give us some example of what it is like to negotiate or hang out with Jews, Chinese, Koreans, African Americans, Russians and Italians. Go ahead, I dare you.

I believe he was originally referring to businesses in China, not Chinese people in a collectivist sense.