Lowest Prices Anywhere: 11" MacBook Air for $729; loaded 13" MacBook Pro Retina for $1,650

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
While cyber week sales on Apple products have wound down from the steep discount levels seen this time last week, a new batch Ivy-Bridge MacBook Airs and MacBook Pro Retinas are in the process of being restocked at one of the company's largest resellers and are being offered to AppleInsider readers at the lowest prices anywhere.

MacBook Air

Each of the MacBooks below are brand new in the box Ivy Bridge closeout models that MacMall is offering at the lowest prices anywhere. Additionally, when using the links in this article and our price guides to activate the Promo Code field on MacMall's pages, AI readers save an additional $20 off those rock bottom prices (also good on all other MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros) when applying Promo Code APPLEINSIDER02.

It should also be noted that MacMall only charges sales tax in CA, NY, IL, WI, MN, CO, TN, NC and GA. This typically yields another $100-$200 in savings for a significant number of shoppers. All models and pricing are available on a first-come, first-serve basis and the $729 MacBook Air deal is limited to one per customer:
  • 11" MacBook Air 1.70GHz/4GB/64GB for $729.99* ($269 savings)
  • 13" MacBook Pro with Retina display 2.6GHz/8GB/512GB for $1,569.99* ($249 savings)
  • 13" MacBook Pro with Retina display 3.0GHz/8GB/512GB for $1,649.99* ($549 savings)
  • 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display 2.8GHz/16GB/768GB for $2,479.99* ($769 savings)
  • * price after applying Promo Code APPLEINSIDER02
The lowest prices on the remainder of Apple's product line can be found in our price guides, a portion of which is below:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11

Be careful! Wireless specifications are for 802.11n, not 802.11ac.

• Reply 2 of 11
    It should also be noted that MacMall only charges sales tax in CA, NY, IL, WI, MN, CO, TN, NC and GA. This typically yields another $100-$200 in savings for a significant number of shoppers.

Great deals on prior models to be sure, but I wish you would stop including the above reference in every post about these deals. In every single state that does not get sales tax collected (with the exception of NH which has no sales tax), the buyer is still responsible for paying sales tax on the item by claiming the purchase on their state income tax returns. AI should not be encouraging tax avoidance or evasion. Let the buyer be the one to decide come tax time, without AI encouraging it.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,915member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Great deals on prior models to be sure, but I wish you would stop including the above reference in every post about these deals. In every single state that does not get sales tax collected, the buyer is still responsible for paying sales tax on the item by claiming the purchase on their state income tax returns. AI should not be encouraging tax avoidance or evasion. Let the buyer be the one to decide come tax time, without AI encouraging it.

HAHAHAHA like people really claim their online purchases on their income taxes every year. I bet 9/10 people don't. Its not worth it to states to launch an expensive auditing session for someone just to get a couple hundred dollars back, maybe less. Don't fool yourself. 

• Reply 4 of 11
    macxpress wrote: »
    HAHAHAHA like people really claim their online purchases on their income taxes every year. I bet 9/10 people don't. Its not worth it to states to launch an expensive auditing session for someone just to get a couple hundred dollars back, maybe less. Don't fool yourself. 

Not saying people do, or that the audits would be costly. Just saying there is no reason for AI to constantly promote the act. Don't even mention the tax.

And I also agree that it could be as high as you say, 90%, who avoid it. Though I find it hypocritical that many of these same people (who are, technically, breaking the law) also complain about companies and wealthy individuals who legally pay all taxes they owe as being "cheats"

But I digress. This isn't a political story, just pointing out that AI should be a bit more responsible and not even mention taxes.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,915member

I think they're simply telling people that they'll have to pay taxes in those states so you don't get someone bitching because it was more than the advertised price. 

They may also be required to mention this by MacMall. 

• Reply 6 of 11
    Yea, two problems with this story... Macmall is absolutely the sleeziest of all resellers and I wouldn't purchase a $5 bill from them, even if it was on sale for $3. I certainly wouldn't buy a Mac!!! 2nd, the 11" macbook pro mentioned is a joke. 4gb ram and a 64gb ssd, both tecnically not upgradeable. That would be a buyers remorse purchase everytime.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post

Yea, two problems with this story... Macmall is absolutely the sleeziest of all resellers and I wouldn't purchase a $5 bill from them, even if it was on sale for $3. I certainly wouldn't buy a Mac!!! 

Why do you say that? I've done business with them since the old Classic Mac days (bought several upgrades and accessories for my Mac IIci from them) and have never had any complaints. Most of my Macs have come direct from Apple (my corporate discount almost always beats their discounts), but I did buy a Mac Mini from them in addition to plenty of other products and have had no reason to be unhappy with them.

• Reply 8 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post

Be careful! Wireless specifications are for 802.11n, not 802.11ac.

Oh yes, of course. The MacBook Air is useless without 802.11ac... unusable, completely unusable without it. Might as well have a 300 baud modem instead of 802.11n.

Are you stark raving nuts?

• Reply 9 of 11
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Oh yes, of course. The MacBook Air is useless without 802.11ac... unusable, completely unusable without it. Might as well have a 300 baud modem instead of 802.11n.

Nowhere did he claim anything even remotely like that. The idea is to make sure people know what they’re buying and aren’t misled into thinking (or overlook) that the models aren’t the newest available.

• Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nowhere did he claim anything even remotely like that. The idea is to make sure people know what they’re buying and aren’t misled into thinking (or overlook) that the models aren’t the newest available.

Well said.

• Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thetorrey View Post

Well said.

Spot on Tallest Skil and thetorrey. Ironically, I do own a MacBook Air (13-inch, Late 2010) which smokes on OS X Mavericks and 802.11 a/b/g/n. Perhaps MacMall misprinted the Wi-Fi specs, but the prices are a steal regardless, which I think is where lkrupp is coming from. And oh yes, I've always been "stark raving nuts."