Ousted Apple exec Scott Forstall reportedly advising startups, focusing on philanthropy

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    No, Tim Cook is right. We're a hero-obsessed culture. The myth of the lone genius. Those who say Steve Jobs just took credit for others people's accomplishments need to have a conversation with those who proclaim Apple is doomed without Steve. He was either riding Woz's coattails (what the Slashdotters believe), or the lynchpin that make Apple work (the mainstream press).

The truth has to be between those two extremes. One thing the press and media people do is create heroes and myths. And I think some of us do that too, which is why we kept hearing "who will replace Steve Jobs?" after he died.

I think half of you people here are doing the exact same thing to Scott Forstall. You're trying to "hero-ize" him. Turn him into this manufactured myth...the next Steve Jobs. Well, no. If you're Tim Cook, you can't run a company that way. Apple has to be the entity that moves forward, not "the next Steve Jobs," or the next hero.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    I'll bite. What folks?
  • Reply 63 of 66
    Reading comments from folks who couldn't even get a job in Apple Engineering demeaning this guys credentials is what makes AI truly a place of humor.

I'll bite: What folks?
  • Reply 64 of 66
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    We're a hero-obsessed culture. The myth of the lone genius. Those who say Steve Jobs just took credit for others people's accomplishments need to have a conversation with those who proclaim Apple is doomed without Steve. He was either riding Woz's coattails (what the Slashdotters believe), or the lynchpin that make Apple work (the mainstream press).

The truth has to be between those two extremes. One thing the press and media people do is create heroes and myths.

Well put and people like to have villains too. As soon as Scott's leaving was announced, the agenda was to simplify everything wrong and tie it to his character - skeuomorphic UIs and faulty maps and how Jony Ive was the hero character to counter him.

It won't stop happening because there's some natural reaction that takes over when we hear drama vs news. Part of what drives it is our inability and lack of desire to access all of the information relating to any particular scenario so the highlights get taken and the gaps are filled in to prop up the story.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    Marvin wrote: »
    Well put and people like to have villains too. As soon as Scott's leaving was announced, the agenda was to simplify everything wrong and tie it to his character - skeuomorphic UIs and faulty maps and how Jony Ive was the hero character to counter him.

It won't stop happening because there's some natural reaction that takes over when we hear drama vs news. Part of what drives it is our inability and lack of desire to access all of the information relating to any particular scenario so the highlights get taken and the gaps are filled in to prop up the story.

Heretic!

;)
  • Reply 66 of 66
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Reading comments from folks who couldn't even get a job in Apple Engineering demeaning this guys credentials is what makes AI truly a place of humor.

I didn't realize this board was for engineers only. Sorry.