Apple patents tech for making curved touch surfaces, displays

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    They have patented a process not the curved glass. Sometime the entire invention is in how you do it.
    How the hell did they get the rights to this when Samsung brought out a press conference about this tech nearly a year ago at the CES (http://www.cesweb.org/) last year. Here's their press conference
  • Reply 22 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Are you really that dense?

Find me a similar process in use or a patent that describes more or less the same process.
    The idea i mean to get across is based on the curiosity of how Apple has the right to patent a Technology they were not first to develop. Who did they pay off?
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MentalImage View Post

How the hell did they get the rights to this when Samsung brought out a press conference about this tech nearly a year ago at the CES (http://www.cesweb.org/) last year. Here's their press conference

If they are using the same method - Samsung would need to show they had developed the technology before the filing date of Nov 5, 2010.

• Reply 24 of 34
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

It's not the curved glass itself that Apple patented, it's the process In which they make the curved glass touch display. Remember that there's more than one way to skin a cat.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    A convex shaped screen is probably the dumbest idea I've seen, in that, because it doesn't lie flat, you'll have a line of scratches at the apex of the screen, etc. It would make more sense to have a convex shaped device that follows the general shape of the face so that the earpiece stays on your ear, and the mic will be closer to the mouth, so when your busy screaming obscenities at your soon-to-be ex for leaving the toilet seat up in the middle of the night, and you are, unexpectedly, washing your butt in cold toilet water, at least you won't have to pull it away from your ear while you're busy blasting away...

Just a musing...

M.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Convex phone screen is asking for scratches when placed face down on richy ritch's granet countertop. It is more usable for iwatch.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Originally Posted by ClementineOrange View Post

Convex phone screen is asking for scratches when placed face down on richy ritch's granet countertop.

Sure, but… who puts their phone face down anywhere and who has a granite countertop with grit to it?

• Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure, but… who puts their phone face down anywhere and who has a granite countertop with grit to it?

Shame on me but I did it to an old phone not thinking.  :( Even if a surface is clean and smooth, if the surface is harder than gorrila glass, it will scratch it.  If you look at most phone cases, many have a bevel around the edge that keeps the glass from touching down even if its placed face down.   I wonder what cases will look like for convex screens...   If the display is concave like this bananaphone http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/26/lg-g-flex-hands-on/ then placing it face down will not not cause the display to touch-down, even without a case.

• Reply 29 of 34
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by revenant View Post

something tells me that when they do:

they will by copying

no matter the price-point they will be the most expensive

Do we really need more "copying" comments?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right, because there’s only ONE technology for displays that don’t cover a flat surface¡

?No, that’s not an error. I literally just copied and pasted.

Actually you would be right on this one. Trying to determine the exact semantics might take a little while, but there is a specific list under "what is claimed is".

• Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Do we really need more "copying" comments?

Actually you would be right on this one. Trying to determine the exact semantics might take a little while, but there is a specific list under "what is claimed is".

i find it ironic that you copied my post for your comment while ignoring the point i was making.

• Reply 31 of 34

I guess he meant to say, "dirt covered concrete floor".
  • Reply 32 of 34
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by revenant View Post

i find it ironic that you copied my post for your comment while ignoring the point i was making.

Lack of sleep clouds my reading comprehension and judgement, dark side of the force, etc....

Now that you point it out, it is amusing.

• Reply 33 of 34
    Nice. Over time, hairline scratches right down the middle%u2026 And don't drop that bitch.
  • Reply 34 of 34

can't wait for this to come out