Apple pulls another anti-censorship app from China's iOS App Store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

LOL that you think China is communist.

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

LOL, you’re acting like a toddler by pretending it isn’t.

I suspect you're confusing communism with authoritarianism.

• Reply 22 of 40
    sflocal wrote: »
    Cue the "Apple should tell China to go f*** themselves." whiners.

Apple (like all the other companies) has to abide by the rules of the particular country where their products are sold.

Fix the government. This is not Apple's problem.

But it's Apple's job to fix government. /s
  • Reply 23 of 40
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    As an expat living in China I can attest to the fact that it is easy to bypass the Great Chinese Firewall. Even high school kids know how to do it! This is such a non-issue that it doesn't even deserve an article! Conversely, you have the morons at Google that simply pulled out of the market leaving it solely to the Chinese players, and hurting their loyal customers in the process. A truly stupid move from a company pretending like they always take the high ground, which we know is far from the truth.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Of course not, but it doesn’t look good for you when you praise your fine selection of them.

My point is that since Apple censors stuff in the US, how could they ever have moral high ground in China?

I had to cut and paste too!

So I should be able to sell an online order meth App in the US, complete with in app purchases because stuff the laws, right?
  • Reply 25 of 40

Not at all. What I am saying is that since Apple is quick to censor innocuous things in the good old US of A like jokes that are freely available in other apps already on the appStore - and have a known pedigree with 30 years of history - Apple has ZERO moral high ground to demand anything from China. You go China! Show me what you workin with! Censor what you like. "Like I said, sometimes we bite. Even though you don't think it's right.” - DU

• Reply 26 of 40
    diegogdiegog Posts: 135member
    Yeah we get it, you're butt hurt. Except Apple's not censoring you. Apple is choosing not to sell your item in its store. You're still more than welcome to sell your book in many many other stores that will have you. That's not the same thing as censorship.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Instead of putting Apple under fire, why not actually fix the problem and put the commies in China under fire? You know, the ones who are responsible for this in the first place? Because if Apple doesn't listen, they'll just ban Apple entirely, just like if Google doesn't listen, they'll ban Google entirely.

easy, because the same government is very helpful in sourcing millions of very low wage slaves that apple, google and others thrive on, DUH !
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Apple needs to comply with local law, she does not need to judge every government, and, besides, China is doing very well in terms of delivering to its citizens in terms of economic growth, and the local population seems to support their government.

Other goodies, like complete freedom of the press will most likely come ones GNP per capita approaches US$10,000 and economic growth slows down to 4% p.a.

No need to push it from outside, it is a natural byproduct of growth and it will come naturally.
  • Reply 29 of 40

Do not confuse China (a success story) with other not very democratic states with an stagnant economy. China is a success story, its citizens seem to support their government and are quite proud of their economic achievements. You may prefer India's model (more democratic, less growth), fine, but you cannot dictate your values to China. They are proud of their merits, and deservedly so.

• Reply 30 of 40
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

I suspect you're confusing communism with authoritarianism.

I guess Sean Connery’s part of this argument, huh.

• Reply 31 of 40

But Diego, you say that apple is not censoring these joke apps, but rather choosing not to sell them in their store.  

On what grounds do you think that decision was made?  According to the press release, the tasteless joke apps don't violate any local laws or AppStore guidelines as the FreeWeibo app did, so not making them available because apple doesn't want the public to see which jokes they redacted seems wrong.

I’m interested to hear your definition of censorship.  This is not snark, I’m genuinely interested in your opinion.

Chris_CA, your headline edit is perfect!

• Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bminsterfuller View Post

But Diego, you say that apple is not censoring these joke apps, but rather choosing not to sell them in their store.  

On what grounds do you think that decision was made?  According to the press release, the tasteless joke apps don't violate any local laws or AppStore guidelines as the FreeWeibo app did, so not making them available because apple doesn't want the public to see which jokes they redacted seems wrong.

I’m interested to hear your definition of censorship.  This is not snark, I’m genuinely interested in your opinion.

maybe it sucked?

• Reply 33 of 40

It very well might, but shouldn’t you and I make that determination?

Just going by the press releases (http://www.trulytastelessjokes.com/apps), I can’t see how it could possibly suck more than its peers.  At least it looks nice designwise.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

In your first post you stated the grounds upon which they rejected your app.  This isn't the government infringing on your right to speech.  This is a private company not listing your app on their store (their private property).  You don't have an innate right to sell an app on Apple's App Store.

• Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enquiry View Post

In your first post you stated the grounds upon which they rejected your app.

You mean for leaving in blacked out redacted jokes?  When that is made the primary condition of listing their app, what else can you call it but censorship?

Apple is basically saying, “Remove all evidence of our censorship (i.e., the redacted jokes) and we post the app.  Keep it in it and we won’t.”

Private radio censors music.  Studios censor film.  Publishers censor authors.  Broadcasters censor shows. Apple censors developers.

None of these infringe on our constitutional rights, but they are all forms of censorship nonetheless.  

Do you not believe that censorship exists in private and institutional settings as well?

• Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

You mean for leaving in blacked out redacted jokes?  When that is made the primary condition of listing their app, what else can you call it but censorship?

Apple is basically saying, “Remove all evidence of our censorship (i.e., the redacted jokes) and we post the app.  Keep it in it and we won’t.”

Private radio censors music.  Studios censor film.  Publishers censor authors.  Broadcasters censor shows. Apple censors developers.

None of these infringe on our constitutional rights, but they are all forms of censorship nonetheless.  

Do you not believe that censorship exists in private and institutional settings as well?

Yes I do believe it exists.  I also believe they have every right to do what they wish with the app store as it is their private property.  Just like you have the right/option to sell your app elsewhere.  If Apple goes too far then they should pay the price in the market.   It's not like there aren't other companies competing against them.

• Reply 37 of 40
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Apple rejected the app on the basis that it was "simply a book"

So why wasn't it submitted as an iBook, rather than an App?

• Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by enquiry View Post

Yes I do believe it exists.  I also believe they have every right to do what they wish with the app store as it is their private property.  Just like you have the right/option to sell your app elsewhere.  If Apple goes too far then they should pay the price in the market.   It's not like there aren't other companies competing against them.

I agree with you 100% that Apple has every right to do whatever they want when it comes to their distribution channels.  However, by continuing to censor silly things like this, they erode any moral high ground they might have in a censorship debate.  As you said, market forces will ultimately guide their decision making.

• Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So why wasn't it submitted as an iBook, rather than an App?

I have no interest in the ePub versions that have been available for iBooks, Kindle, and Nook (is this still even a thing?) for some time.

I want the truly tasteless jokes app for my phone because I loved the series when I was younger and they claim to offer functionality beyond that of linear static-text ePubs. 

ps - Loved your “problem occurred...” footer.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Quote:

It very well might, but shouldn’t you and I make that determination?

Just going by the press releases (http://www.trulytastelessjokes.com/apps), I can’t see how it could possibly suck more than its peers.  At least it looks nice designwise.

I visited that link.

one thing it said was "Available on app store"

some of the jokes ARE pretty inappropriate ... and truly tasteless...