Google Glass owners can now configure their headset, get directions from iPhone [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    hill60 wrote: »
    It's a firmware update which was just released as you can see from the source I linked to.

I am surprised you are so ignorant of Google matters, you usually present a bevy of links in support of their actions.

Now that Google has released this update all Frood's arguments regarding obvious voice commands and gestures become moot.

In a situation where a certain level of privacy is to be expected would one be within one's rights to remove the threat to privacy that Google glass represents?

Of course if privacy is expected then Glass, or a cellphone or a camera or a voice recorder or any other device capable of "saving the moment" should not be used. Why would Glass require special rules? Glass won't be welded to your head. You can take it off just as well as you can turn your cellphone off. Even easier and more obviously than your cellphone for that matter.

As for Frood's comments if he's inaccurately posted then I suspect he'll correct it.

EDIT: For what it worth the developer of the app (Winky) that's supposedly bothering you says
    "his app does give users warnings. He said Winky will make a camera shutter-like sound when it takes a pictures, and others around the person wearing Glass can see the device's screen light up after a photo is taken."
    [VIDEO]

Maybe the wink-for-pic creator is also mistaken about how it works.

He goes on:
    "...besides that, DiGiovanni (the app provider) said he doesn't think Glass is a very good device to be creepy with because in order to take a picture or shoot video you have to point at your subject with your face. Instead, he thinks spy cameras or smartphones would be less conspicuous.

"It seems easier to take a picture I shouldn't be taking if I was doing it on my phone than looking directly at them and taking it with Glass," he said Thursday.

Do you disagree with his opinion that you can't hide surreptitious picture taking with Glass as easily as you can with a cellphone? You're apparently OK with a guy in the restroom talking on his iPhone (or is he?) or do you want to punch him in the face too?
  • Reply 22 of 32

Is there a setting within the app that prevents you looking like a glasshole, barking orders into thin air, and taking secret videos of 'hot chicks?'

• Reply 23 of 32
    applezilla wrote: »
    Is there a setting within the app that prevents you looking like a glasshole, barking orders into thin air, and taking secret videos of 'hot chicks?'

Those controls are all under remote settings on your iPhone.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    hill60 wrote: »
    In a situation where a certain level of privacy is to be expected would one be within one's rights to remove the threat to privacy that Google glass represents?

Cell phones represent the same threat to privacy as Google Glass but you don't seem paranoid about people taking penis shots with them. As a new device, Glass represents even less of a threat because a) the level of ownership is so low there's probably as much chance being struck by lightning then having a Glass owner standing at the urinal next to you (not even factoring the tiny chance it's a person looking to get a money shot) and b) the activity is far more conspicuous to have someone turn and stare at your penis to get the shot. All this privacy invading behavior people fear from Glass is more easily and more discretely done with a cell phone. Want a good crotch shot? Drop your hand with the phone down to your waist. More interested in the woman's breasts and not what she's saying? Press the phone to the center of your chest and cleavage shoot away.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    caliminius wrote: »
    Cell phones represent the same threat to privacy as Google Glass but you don't seem paranoid about people taking penis shots with them. As a new device, Glass represents even less of a threat because a) the level of ownership is so low there's probably as much chance being struck by lightning then having a Glass owner standing at the urinal next to you (not even factoring the tiny chance it's a person looking to get a money shot) and b) the activity is far more conspicuous to have someone turn and stare at your penis to get the shot. All this privacy invading behavior people fear from Glass is more easily and more discretely done with a cell phone. Want a good crotch shot? Drop your hand with the phone down to your waist. More interested in the woman's breasts and not what she's saying? Press the phone to the center of your chest and cleavage shoot away.

Hogwash. I can certainly tell if someone shoves a cell phone in my crotch. People can also tell if someone "points" a cell phone at them.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    jungmark wrote: »
    Hogwash. I can certainly tell if someone shoves a cell phone in my crotch. People can also tell if someone "points" a cell phone at them.
    Sure you can. :rolleyes:

"Of course, most people use their smartphones for pictures the majority of the time, and thankfully, it's pretty easy to disguise what you're doing on a phone.

First and foremost, when you're snapping hidden photos with your camera, make sure you're holding it like you're using it to do anything but take a picture. Position the camera like you're texting, playing a game, or whatever else might natural in the situation you're in. Personally, I prefer the texting position, even though it's often difficult to get a good shot.

Second, if you want to conceal what you're doing from anyone behind you, it's important to hide your screen. On a jailbroken iPhone this is easy with SlyCam since it allows you to take pictures from the Notification Center without anyone behind you seeing the camera screen.

For non-jailbroken iPhone users, we like Real Spy Camera. Not only does the app icon call the app "Easy Calc," you can also shoot video, and use either your front facing or rear facing camera. However, the best feature is the fact you can set up a fake background as well, which means you can actually make your screen look like you're text messaging."

Want some more ideas for taking that naughty little picture on your cellphone without being seen doing it?
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/secretly-take-pictures-android-iphone/

One easy way – for guys at least – is place your smart phone into a shirt pocket. Use tissues for padding if the camera doesn’t quite stick out far enough, and avoid leaning over lest your phone fall out. This is fairly normal place to store your phone, so you’re unlikely to be called out unless your phone starts making shutter sounds. Alternatively, use a front facing trouser pocket, but bear in mind the angle and subject of your photography will be much harder to capture effectively...

...With an iPhone, some apps allow you to use the volume switch as a shutter release – this also works with wired headphones – so you hold the phone more conveniently, and trigger it as if you were simply listening to music."

It's not hard to find advice on using your iPhone camera in stealth mode. And don't forget, there's always an app for that.:\

Seems a bit of FUD is being tossed about in an attempt to discredit a new product that didn't originate at Apple. I know you hate when that happens to an Apple product, but otherwise I guess you and Hill may think it's OK? I would hope you didn't have a double-standard.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

EDIT: For what it worth the developer of the app (Winky) that's supposedly bothering you says

If you checked my source link you would know that this is not about a java program called Winky although it did provide the inspiration for Google's glass development team to add it to Google glass.

Maybe you need to use Bing to find this stuff, here seeing as Google doesn't seem to work for you.

News about Google Glass Wink

• Reply 28 of 32
    Thanks for clarifying Hill. Most appreciated. I'd rather be accurate so no prob with the correction. So the current wink interface may or may not work the same as the "winky" interface. Have you got a link to a video of the beta-feature in use? Just curious.

Still doesn't change the fact that using a cellphone to take secret pics without being noticed is a lot less obvious than using Glass to do so. You don't have concerns with people around you with cellphones in a shirt pocket, even in the men's room. You don't question whether the person across from you is really texting or instead sneaking a video of you. At a party I don't imagine you keep an eagle eye on every person there to make sure you don't appear in a candid picture without your permission. Why is Glass so concerning to you, especially since the only image it can record is the one the user is looking at unlike a cellphone?
  • Reply 29 of 32
    jungmark wrote: »

You don't need to "shove" the phone in someone's crotch, just drop it to your waist like you would if you were normally carrying it. Easy and now you can be facing 90 degrees away from your actual target (like the imaginary perv at the urinal would be). And it's going to be at or near the perfect height for the crotch "money shot" unlike Glass which is stuck on your head. And if you actually happen to be sensitive enough to realize someone's phone camera is pointing at you, just imagine how much easier it will be to notice someone staring at you while wearing Glass.

People don't think twice about a person carrying a cell phone and taking discrete shots is damned easy. Sorry if that flies in the face of your anti-Glass paranoia/hatred.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

You don't need to "shove" the phone in someone's crotch, just drop it to your waist like you would if you were normally carrying it. Easy and now you can be facing 90 degrees away from your actual target (like the imaginary perv at the urinal would be). And it's going to be at or near the perfect height for the crotch "money shot" unlike Glass which is stuck on your head. And if you actually happen to be sensitive enough to realize someone's phone camera is pointing at you, just imagine how much easier it will be to notice someone staring at you while wearing Glass.

People don't think twice about a person carrying a cell phone and taking discrete shots is damned easy. Sorry if that flies in the face of your anti-Glass paranoia/hatred.

Why are you trying to minimise this issue, which goes to the core of technology and it's ability to erode people's right to some level of privacy?

Maybe restrictions should be applied based on where security camera's are allowed to be deployed.

• Reply 31 of 32
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Thanks for the info.image

At the time of my posting, it was accurate to my knowledge Gatorguy!  Actually the info I posted is still correct since I was referencing recording video which Wink does not (as of this second) apply to, only snapping pictures.

Wink is part of the XE12 upgrade which came out....... yesterday.  Go figure on the timing :p   Haven't had a chance to play with it yet.  (Wink is not the same thing as the app Winky).

It sounds pretty awesome for almost any scenario for picture taking....   except bathroom stalls :p

It already seems pre-old fashioned if you want to take a picture to have to pull your phone out of your pocket, turn it on, go to your camera app, line up the frame, hit the picture button.

Compared to just looking at something and winking there's a lot of missed photo opportunities waiting not to happen anymore.

I think the bathroom concerns are valid and I'm not opposed to a 'No Glass in Bathrooms' rule.  Its certainly for the best in the short run, and I'd take mine off out of common courtesy anyways- other than the fact that its really really easy to forget they are on.   

In the near term unfortunately I think its just a matter of time before we get 'fringe' news regarding Glass.  Both from the people on the fringes who feel obligated to buy a pair of Glass and camp out in a bathroom just to be a nuisance, and the Glass vigilantes on the other side of the fringe spectrum who are just looking to run up to the first person they see wearing glass and punch them in the face or otherwise throwing some kind of hissy fit.

Also, I do have an extra invite code that is good until Monday if anyone is interested.  Send me a message and please, only if you are actually interested in buying them.   I'll send you the invite for free but Google will want $1500 and change for the glass units themselves.

• Reply 32 of 32
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    ~~Quote: Originally Posted by hill60 View Post Now that Google has released this update all Frood's arguments regarding obvious voice commands and gestures become moot.

Actually, if you go read my original post, I was telling Gator that none of the safeguards he thought might be there are actually in place. I was telling him how to best tell if someone is recording in the absence of those safeguards, and all those methods still apply to the subject that was being discussed- recording videos (wink currently only applies to taking pictures).

Glass at least you'll know someone is wearing. All these new wearable smart watches coming out are a far bigger threat in the hands of the army of people that are dying to take random secret pictures of your junk. Technology does put a crimp on privacy any way you slice it. =/

Banning cameras, cellphones, security cameras, and computers would certainly help, as would moving back into caves- but my personal opinion is that all of the prior have added more to make my life better and are well worth the tradeoff. Hoping Glass and even 'smartwatches' eventually get added to that group as well.