Tomb Raider now available on iOS, Angry Birds Star Wars gains new levels

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Classic 1990s adventure game Tomb Raider has made its way to iOS devices, featuring controller support and 15 hours of gameplay, while Angry Birds Star Wars adds additional levels and a new boss fight.

Tomb Raider

Developer Square Enix promises that their iOS port of the Tomb Raider franchise's first edition is "the full, unedited, unadulterated experience." The company says the game boasts 15 hours of gameplay, including two additional chapters added for Tomb Raider's 1998 re-release that were not included in the original game.

Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider comes with similar touch controls to those found in Square Enix's other iOS games, like the Final Fantasy series, and also includes support for Made for iPhone game controllers. The game has been optimized for both the iPhone and iPad.

Square Enix's iOS games are generally well-received, and early user reviews of Tomb Raider are equally positive.

Tomb Raider I is available now as a $0.99, 294-megabyte download from the App Store.

Angry Birds Star Wars

Rovio dropped the final installment of Angry Birds's Star Wars lockup on Tuesday, bringing 30 new levels -?15 space levels and 15 Death Star levels --?as well as what the studio calls "the biggest ever boss fight."

Angry Birds Star Wars

Players will also get a chance to unmask "Lard Vader," the game's porcine mastermind. Angry Birds Star Wars boasts a 4.5-star average out of 31,150 user ratings.

Angry Birds Star Wars version 1.5.0 is available now as a $0.99, 53-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I must say I find it astounding that Tomb Raider is now on iOS. I used to play this game for hours.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,561member
    The reasons to grab a controller just keeps growing. I'll give it a year to let the pricing become competitive on them first.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I would quite like it if you could pair a keyboard and mouse with an iPad and play games that way.

My iOS 7 iPad will pair with my Apple bluetooth keyboard but not my bluetooth Mighty Mouse.

• Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I would quite like it if you could pair a keyboard and mouse with an iPad and play games that way.

My iOS 7 iPad will pair with my Apple bluetooth keyboard but not my bluetooth Mighty Mouse.

Not wanting to be a douche about this but how do you propose to use a mouse with an iPad? ;)

That being said, can we synch a PS3/4 controller to an iPad? The problem with the "Made for iPhone" controllers is exactly that... they're made for iPhone. 98% of all my gaming is done on the iPad NOT the iPhone so these controllers are useless to me.

• Reply 5 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,439moderator
    Developer Square Enix promises that their iOS port of the <a href="http://appleinsider.com/l/?link=https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id663820495?mt=8"><em>Tomb Raider</em></a> franchise's first edition is "the full, unedited, unadulterated experience." The company says the game boasts 15 hours of gameplay, including two additional chapters added for Tomb Raider's 1998 re-release that were not included in the original game.

I'd rather it was the newer ones like Angel of Darkness, Anniversary or Underworld. Ones where Lara's boobs aren't made out of 4 triangles each:

[VIDEO]

With enough practise, touch controls are usable but hardware controls will be more consistent here. Chronicles would even have been a good place to start:

[VIDEO]

Still, it's good that they are bringing more full games over to iOS and I hope they'll bring more of the Tomb Raider games over. The revenue from this one can help fund ports of future titles.

They already have the more recent Tomb Raider Guardian of Light on iOS.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    There's at least one report that you can use the iCade with it:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735361

... but that's not working for me. Checked the company's FAQ...

http://www.realtech-vr.com/support/ios.php

... and I've got QWERTY selected.

Anybody else have any luck?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

Not wanting to be a douche about this but how do you propose to use a mouse with an iPad? ;)

I mean only in games that support it, not for navigating around the OS etc. Strategy games with big maps and first person shooters are better with a mouse in my opinion. Other games are better with a controller, and others still a better with a touch screen.

• Reply 8 of 8

I am a huge fan of tomb raider game and this news make mr very exciting about this game. I cant wait to play this game.