irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    thompr wrote: »
    Dyson's products suck. :)

Thompson

Some of the blow.
  • Reply 22 of 297
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    opusmundi wrote: »
    It is a bit of economic poetry that the high end MacPro is the same price as the original LISA computer! Let us do hope that the next generation will have a price point closer to today's MacPro.

I truth very top end Mac, loaded has maintained a very high $ level. I had a Lisa and I paid close to $10,000 for a fully loaded Mac II fx. The same was true for the Quadra 840 av and so on ... nothing has changed except more power for the buck.
  • Reply 23 of 297
    rogifan wrote: »
    Clearly Wall Street doesn't care about Mac Pro as AAPL is down over $9 on no China Mobile deal yet.

I doubt Wall Street types even know what a Mac Pro is. They are probably focused on a Microshit Tablet running Microcrap Orifice.
  • Reply 24 of 297
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Saw somewhere that at idle it is as quiet as a Mac mini.

That is quiet.

Yeah, Schiller said that on stage. Also, the idle power draw for the new Mac Pros is remarkable at just 43 watts.
  • Reply 25 of 297

Can't wait for an unboxing video, plus some pics of setups. :)

• Reply 26 of 297
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I doubt Wall Street types even know what a Mac Pro is. They are probably focused on a Microshit Tablet running Microcrap Orifice.

Just woke up the neighborhood laughing at that!

• Reply 27 of 297
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    jj.yuan wrote: »

If Santa uses a drone, the Mac can be lowered gently, through the chimney.

Unfortunately, mine has a stainless steel grid on the top to keep squirrels out.
  • Reply 28 of 297
    melgross wrote: »
    Unfortunately, mine has a stainless steel grid on the top to keep squirrels out.

You forget both Santa and Apple Macs are magic .... :D
  • Reply 29 of 297
    thompr wrote: »
    Dyson's products suck. :)

Thompson

But not in a good way.
  • Reply 30 of 297
    It is a bit of economic poetry that the high end MacPro is the same price as the original LISA computer! Let us do hope that the next generation will have a price point closer to today's MacPro.

No, it's not. Taking inflation into account from then, it's about $20,000 in today's dollars.
  • Reply 31 of 297
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Mac Pro is also a landmark achievement for Apple, as it will be the company's first machine entirely assembled in the U.S. 

I think the Apple I was the company's first machine entirely assembled in the U.S.

• Reply 32 of 297
    "Apple announced availability" ... OMG ... Christmas comes early. I was really expecting to order this month for delivery in a few months ...

six core or eight core that is the question for me ...

Despite my daughter's enthusiasm at wanting my old Mac Pro once I get the new one. I'm going to wait until next year. I don't feel that this years chips are that much better than last years, and that the next chips will make up for that. Also the GPUs aren't the newest design either.

I believe that next years models will offer much more performance.

In addition, we are just now seeing Thunderbolt 2 drive towers. I'd rather see a second generation on that.

I'm not even sure whether this model uses Express 2 or the new 3.
  • Reply 33 of 297
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

yea where is china mobile deal? it looks like no deal today, such s shame.

• Reply 34 of 297
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Dispute my daughter's enthusiasm at wanting my old Mac Pro once I get the new one. I'm going to wait until next year. I don't feel that this years chips are that much better than last years, and that the next chips will make up for that. Also the GPUs aren't the newest design either.

I believe that next years models will offer much more performance.

In addition, we are just now seeing Thunderbolt 2 drive towers. I'd rather see a second generation on that.

I'm not even sure whether this model uses Express 2 or the new 3.

I remember a few years ago, in the white-plastic era, where it was common knowledge to never buy a rev A because they had too many problems.

Waiting for Rev B.   Old school!

• Reply 35 of 297

Right you are a LISA in today's dollars would be $23,388.80. And of course the new MacPro is probably faster than a Cray 1 - it will be great to learn more about its application in realtime rendering and HD editing. Thanks for the reminder about "constant dollars." 

• Reply 36 of 297

I truth very top end Mac, loaded has maintained a very high $ level. I had a Lisa and I paid close to $10,000 for a fully loaded Mac II fx. The same was true for the Quadra 840 av and so on ... nothing has changed except more power for the buck.

Yeah, I remember when the most expensive/powerful computer made by Apple was the LaserWriter…
  • Reply 37 of 297
    neilmneilm Posts: 995member

We have seven moderately-optioned Mac Pro towers in our graphics group. They're set up with a 256GB SSD main drive (most files are on the server), a 1TB WD Caviar Black auxiliary internal drive, and the original 1TB Apple internal drive for local Time Machine backup. And that still leaves one open drive bay; drives can be swapped out in less than 5 minutes. By upgrading RAM and swapping out hard drives for SSDs I've been able to keep these Mac Pros productive for many years.

Now all of them should be potential candidates for replacement by the new Mac Pro cylinder.

However when we needed a new workstation earlier this month, I ordered a BTO 27" iMac, optioned-up with 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, quad 3.5GHz i7, and upgraded Nvidia GTX 780M 4GB graphics. List price is $2749, plus tax etc. That's $250 less than the bare base price of the new Mac Pro, except that for that money we also get a new 27" display otherwise worth $1000. (Oh, and the Mac Pro price doesn't even include a keyboard or mouse!) While the iMac offers no internal expansion (other than a couple of open RAM slots, should they be needed), neither would the new Mac Pro cylinder. Yes, I'm less than thrilled at the need to substitute external drives for the tidy, cheap and flexible internal option, but that's now a wash either way. I'm sure the new Mac Pro would benchmark out to be faster, but for most purposes the iMac is more than fast enough.

Apple hasn't lost us as a professional customer, but we won't be buying the new Mac Pro. Shops that do a lot of HD video work or 3D rendering will want the new machine, but by the time they pay for RAM, more CPU cores, and add external Thunderbolt hard drives, those are going to end up as very expensive workstations indeed. (I can also see the new Mac Pro being used for some kinds of scientific work.)

We're so pleased with our new 27" iMac so much that I've ordered two more of them; they're being delivered today. We'll probably replace the rest of the old Mac Pros early next year. I'm really going to miss them.

• Reply 38 of 297
    "[I]t will be the company's first machine entirely assembled in the U.S." I don't believe Apple started assembling abroad until the early '90s. Before that, _all_ of Apple's machines, Apple IIs, IIIs, Lisas, and Macs, were assembled in the USA, though they started manufacturing some circuit board in Singapore in 1981. See:

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/12/06/a-short-history-of-apples-manufacturing-in-the-u-s/ .
  • Reply 39 of 297
    :\

While I was buying Macs for my company before, my first Mac was the Quadra 950. I paid $6,000 for the base machine. $289 for the pro keyboard. And extra $400 to go from the 160 MB HDD to the 320. It came with a large amount of RAM for the day—8 MB. 48 MB more RAM cost me an additional $5,200. An extra MB of video RAM was $320. That was for CPU graphics. A Radius card was $3,650. A NEC 21" graphics multi sync monitor was $3,400. I installed the first CD player in N America, at least. It was a Toshiba 2x player, the fastest at the time. That cost $750. I had to machine out my Mac in my machine shop to do it.

Take inflation into account, and it was expensive. Multiply by 1.7. Wow! I just did the math. It comes out to just over $34,000. It's strange. It didn't seem to be that much then. Sigh! I suppose we were just used to it back then.

Things are so CHEAP These days!
  • Reply 40 of 297
    Right you are a LISA in today's dollars would be 
    $23,388.80. And of course the new MacPro is probably faster than a Cray 1 - it will be great to learn more about its application in realtime rendering and HD editing. Thanks for the reminder about "constant dollars." 

Heh! A cray 1 was just over 1 Gigaflops.