Researchers find way to activate iSight cameras without alerting users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    llama wrote: »
    clemynx wrote: »
    Macs since 2007 can run Mavericks.
    Well, kinda:

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);margin-bottom:18px;">To install Mavericks, you need one of these Macs:</p>

<ul style="color:rgb(51,51,51);list-style-position:outside;list-style-type:square;margin-bottom:8px;margin-left:2em;margin-top:8px;"> [*] iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
    [*] MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
    [*] MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later),
    [*] MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)
    [*] MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
    [*] Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)
    [*] Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
    [*] Xserve (Early 2009) 
    </ul>
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5842

The mini has no built-in Camera..

The MacRumors article mentioned this does not affect MACs built since 2008 at all.

BTW real cutting edge research there. Have they spent the past 5 years on this or are they interested in the security of people running 5 year old macs?
  • Reply 22 of 58

Technology is always changing

• Reply 23 of 58
    I don't recall ever seeing a camera indicator light on any laptop of any make, and I use Skype video all the time.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Can 2008 computers run an OS that has GateKeeper? I can't remember which ones it came in.

Yes. As the article states Gatekeeper was first introduced in Lion, which is available for all 64-bit Macs since Core 2 Duo.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's great that it doesn't affect Macs after 2008 but is this is inability from a HW or firmware change that could be still be circumvented or is it now impossible. Plus, we never talk about how someone could tap into the mic without ever tipping their hand as there is no LED light to circumvent.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

The mini has no built-in Camera..

Neither does the Mac Pro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

The MacRumors article mentioned this does not affect MACs built since 2008 at all.

Mac, not MAC.  :)

• Reply 27 of 58
    john.b wrote: »
    Neither does the Mac Pro.

Just another way Apple can screw the customer by cutting costs¡
  • Reply 28 of 58
    There's actually an easy fix that should work with most laptops and make them more versatile.

Allow the camera to rotate 180 degrees inside its housing. Forward for conference calling, rotated 90 degrees to look inside the housing and thus be inoperable, and rotated a further 90 degrees to record a classroom instructor. No firmware tweak can work around something physical.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Name a PC webcam from 2008 with a light that is immune from hacking.
    Why is this always the standard excuse when Apple makes a mistake? Most people understand that mistakes happen and bugs get through. Now either it is more complicated to fix than people know or they have not made it a priority. If it is the latter then I suspect that they probably will make it a priority now.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    rot'napple wrote: »
    Two Words: Gorilla Tape

I have three external monitors connected to my MBP, so I keep the lid closed 90% of the time.

Paper is draped over the camera the other 10%.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

Why is this always the standard excuse when Apple makes a mistake? Most people understand that mistakes happen and bugs get through. Now either it is more complicated to fix than people know or they have not made it a priority. If it is the latter then I suspect that they probably will make it a priority now.

This took researchers over 5 years to break.

Were the tools they used today even available back then?

• Reply 32 of 58
    bulk001 wrote: »

What "mistake" did they make, which nobody else is making but Apple?
  • Reply 33 of 58
    A substantial amount of research, and THIS is the best they could do? And it only affects Mac models prior to 2008?

LOL

Further proof that Apple is by far the safest relevant (sorry, desktop Linux) platform for the average user to be on.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Good luck seeing me through that black electricians' tape.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivan Ski View Post

Hmm wonder if this would help?

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23346/isight-disabler

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

After years of research they've figured out how to break the security on iSight. After two second, I've fixed the problem. A post-it note. Next.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Many ways to block peepers via the built-in camera, among them are post-it notes and chewing gum.  :P

Quote:
    Originally Posted by algr View Post

Forget the electronics, it's time for hardware lens caps built into the cameras.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

I have three external monitors connected to my MBP, so I keep the lid closed 90% of the time.

Paper is draped over the camera the other 10%.

Soooo, tell me…..am I a nieve, latent exhibitionist or are y'all…..paranoid?

• Reply 35 of 58

A friend of mine asked how the auto-brightness feature on the iMac could work without using the camera or turning on the LED? There may be some reason (like a separate illumination sensor near the camera but not part of it) but I don't have the answer. I admit it has been bothering me a bit. It is time someone offered an attractive lens cover for the iMac but that will stop the auto-brightness working as well.

• Reply 36 of 58
    GrangerFX wrote: »
    A friend of mine asked how the auto-brightness feature on the iMac could work without using the camera or turning on the LED? There may be some reason (like a separate illumination sensor near the camera but not part of it) but I don't have the answer. I admit it has been bothering me a bit. It is time someone offered an attractive lens cover for the iMac but that will stop the auto-brightness working as well.

Unless I'm mistaken it's an ambient light sensor which can't register any photos or video, it just detects lumens.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

This took researchers over 5 years to break.

Were the tools they used today even available back then?

Just wondering if you're concerned that someone will use this to spy on you while you use the bathroom since that fear seems to preoccupy you.  Don't lie... everyone takes their laptop on the toilet.

• Reply 38 of 58
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Just wondering if you're concerned that someone will use this to spy on you while you use the bathroom since that fear seems to preoccupy you.  Don't lie... everyone takes their laptop on the toilet.

On my early 2013 15" MacBook Pro retina?

Not really, or as a matter of fact even on my old Late 2008 13" MacBook, both running 64bit Maverick.

Do you think they'll be cracked by 2020?
  • Reply 39 of 58
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Yes there's an ambient light sensor right next to the camera. If you want to cover the camera with tape, be careful not to cover the sensor too or the keyboard backlight and screen brightness will be wrong.

• Reply 40 of 58
    Well, that will please Youtube. Now they can check you're physically behind your computer while they push those ads.