Logic, Motion & Compressor also see updates alongside Mac Pro

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Joining Final Cut Pro X on Thursday, Apple's professional-grade Logic Pro X, Motion and Compressor applications for Mac were updated alongside the start of sales for the new Mac Pro desktop.

Pro Apps

Logic Pro 10.0.5, Motion 5.1, and Compressor 4.1 are all now available on the Mac App Store to purchase, or as free updates for existing owners. Apple's list of improvements fro Logic 10.0.5 are:
  • Adds 3 new Drummers and 11 new Drum Kit Designer patches
  • Significant enhancements to Channel EQ and Linear Phase EQ plug-ins including redesigned interfaces that are also accessible within the Smart Controls area
  • Solo now works as expected on channel strips using an External I/O plug-in
  • Volume and pan automation is now included in XML interchange with Final Cut Pro X
  • Loops that belong to the same family can be selected and changed using a new control in the region header
  • The waveform size in an audio region now adapts to the value of the region Gain parameter
  • The Link mode button is now available for the Piano Roll editor
  • Includes stability improvements
Apple's list of changes for Motion 5.1 are:
  • Optimized playback and rendering using dual GPUs in the new Mac Pro
  • FxPlug 3 with custom plug-in interfaces and dual-GPU support
  • Faster project loading, especially for complex projects
  • Share directly to YouTube at 4K resolution
  • Spanish language localization
And new additions in Compressor 4.1, according to Apple, are:
  • New interface with a single-window layout and streamlined controls
  • Preset Destinations for common encoding tasks
  • Simplified setup for distributed encoding
  • Hardware-based H.264 encoding in supported Share operations
  • Support for Dolby Digital Plus encoding
  • Share directly to YouTube at 4K resolution
  • Share directly to Chinese video sites Youku and Tudou
The updates join Final Cut Pro X, which was given new additions earlier Thursday specifically to take advantage of the latest Mac Pro desktop. Final Cut Pro version 10.1 features optimization for the Mac Pro's dual-GPU setup, as well as video monitoring at up to 4K resolutions via Thunderbolt 2 and HDMI.

Thursday's updates did leave out one major component of Apple's professional-grade applications: Aperture. The photo editing software was last updated in mid-November to version 3.5.1, which addressed a few minor bugs.

Apple is now taking preorders for its cylindrical Mac Pro, an American-made desktop geared toward high-end Mac users. Pricing on the machines starts at $3,000, with some configurations reaching nearly $10,000.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16

Here is to hoping that Aperture gets the biggest, best, update of them all.

• Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iw16w8sH0v View Post

It's in need of one. Badly. 

Unless Apple just wants it to be an iPhoto on steroids. Which is fine, because those who have been on the fence about moving to Lightroom can then do so without hesitation.

• Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's in need of one. Badly. 

Unless Apple just wants it to be an iPhoto on steroids. Which is fine, because those who have been on the fence about moving to Lightroom can then do so without hesitation.

Apple has maintained Aperture on life support the past several of years. Pull the plug or release the needed update.

• Reply 4 of 16

[quote]with some configurations reaching nearly $10,000.[/quote]

More like $14,000

Anyway, the Logic Pro updates are amazing, more than worthy of a point update in my opinion, but Apple seems happy rolling them out casually without fanfare. The multi-core load balance is finally working across single instruments with multi-out. Something we've been crying out for since, literally, Logic 6.

• Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

[quote]with some configurations reaching nearly $10,000.[/quote]

More like $14,000

Anyway, the Logic Pro updates are amazing, more than worthy of a point update in my opinion, but Apple seems happy rolling them out casually without fanfare. The multi-core load balance is finally working across single instruments with multi-out. Something we've been crying out for since, literally, Logic 6.

Hmmmm, I get $9599 with it maxed out. Unless you are counting adding displays and such...

• Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Hmmmm, I get $9599 with it maxed out. Unless you are counting adding displays and such...

Yes I was - and the keyboard and mouse. I'm not sure when these kinds of things started becoming optional with a Pro (I know display has always been separate, but let's be honest, you need one because you're likely to sell your existing one with your old Mac Pro.

• Reply 7 of 16
    zoolook wrote: »
    Yes I was - and the keyboard and mouse. I'm not sure when these kinds of things started becoming optional with a Pro (I know display has always been separate, but let's be honest, you need one because you're likely to sell your existing one with your old Mac Pro.

Sure, but you probably have a good display already and you don't need to buy your display from Apple. It's configuration on the order page but it's not a configuration of the Mac Pro itself which makes the original comment correct and if we go by the page we have a configuration that tops out over $20k in the US, which I think is low because it won't let you add more than 1 display type.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Sure, but you probably have a good display already and you don't need to buy your display from Apple. It's configuration on the order page but it's not a configuration of the Mac Pro itself which makes the original comment correct and if we go by the page we have a configuration that tops out over $20k in the US, which I think is low because it won't let you add more than 1 display type.

All I can say is ...

I am not going to buy a 4K video camera, I really don't need one, I am not going to buy a 4K video camera, I really don't need one, I am not going to buy a 4K video camera, I really don't need one, I am not going to buy a 4K video camera, I really don't need one, I am not going to buy a 4K video camera, I really don't need one, I am not going to buy a 4K video camera, I really don't need one, I am not going to buy a 4K video camera, I really don't need one ...
  • Reply 9 of 16

Actually, It used to be the default way that Power Mac would come some 15 years ago.  Keyboard, Mouse and monitor were separate add ons and not included in the price.

• Reply 10 of 16
    iw16w8sh0v wrote: »

I hope there is one and amongst all the more photo editing related things we all want I hope Apple allow multiple libraries to be iCloud connected not just one at a time. Keeping client libraries separately is great until you want to share proofs via iCloud.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Was hoping for more in Logic, actually. Such as GPU as DSP support, and new GUIs for the rest of the included synths and plugins. In retina sizes. You know... Make it uniform across the whole X release, and make it use all the hardware.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    My initial tests on the new FCPX seems to indicate it is far faster even on my MBP ... They definitely did something.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Adding a 4K monitor as part of the cost of the computer is kind of silly. If you are going to max out the Mac Pro -- of course you are going to need a super monitor to take advantage of that. But a $125 monitor is "equivalent" or sufficient.

People maxing out the SSD have money to blow. It isn't Apple necessarily forcing a high ticket on that -- this is dual-channel SSD and it's 10x the speed of any hard drive.

I just think that this machine has some serious power and has great bang for the buck. So any comparison should be on that "bang for the buck" and if you are going to shoot the moon with 3x 4k monitors, maxed SSD and such -- well, now you are in the category of "I had money to spare for bragging rights."

If you are doing 4K video -- the question becomes; what other options do you have? And do those options also support standard applications as well?

• Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

Adding a 4K monitor as part of the cost of the computer is kind of silly. If you are going to max out the Mac Pro -- of course you are going to need a super monitor to take advantage of that. But a $125 monitor is "equivalent" or sufficient.

People maxing out the SSD have money to blow. It isn't Apple necessarily forcing a high ticket on that -- this is dual-channel SSD and it's 10x the speed of any hard drive.

I just think that this machine has some serious power and has great bang for the buck. So any comparison should be on that "bang for the buck" and if you are going to shoot the moon with 3x 4k monitors, maxed SSD and such -- well, now you are in the category of "I had money to spare for bragging rights."

If you are doing 4K video -- the question becomes; what other options do you have? And do those options also support standard applications as well?

"Adding a 4K monitor as part of the cost of the computer is kind of silly. If you are going to max out the Mac Pro -- of course you are going to need a super monitor to take advantage of that. But a $125 monitor is "equivalent" or sufficient."

Really? So someone who is going to spend at least $3,000 on a computer, will get a $125 monitor. You were saying something about me being "silly".

"People maxing out the SSD have money to blow. It isn't Apple necessarily forcing a high ticket on that -- this is dual-channel SSD and it's 10x the speed of any hard drive."

Agreed to an extent, but also people buying this machine want a machine that's going to last 3 years or more (Pros don't upgrade every 5 minutes, unlike wannabes), so in reality you're going to want to get the best storage early.

As for your comments about bragging rights, that applies to this entire machine. There are very few applications that will max out even one of the GPUs (they're not optimized for gaming), so for 99.9% of Mac users, the 2nd one is a waste. In fact the first one is too. I'd much rather have the fastest SSD and memory subsystem, than two GPUs I can barely make use of.

It's kind of ironic that as little as three years ago, Mac Pros had grossly under powered GPUs (remember the GT120?), and now you have two in a little box that in almost every use-case will barely get 5% use.

• Reply 15 of 16
    zoolook wrote: »
    "Adding a 4K monitor as part of the cost of the computer is kind of silly. If you are going to max out the Mac Pro -- of course you are going to need a super monitor to take advantage of that. But a $125 monitor is "equivalent" or sufficient."

Really? So someone who is going to spend at least $3,000 on a computer, will get a $125 monitor. You were saying something about me being "silly".

"People maxing out the SSD have money to blow. It isn't Apple necessarily forcing a high ticket on that -- this is dual-channel SSD and it's 10x the speed of any hard drive."

Agreed to an extent, but also people buying this machine want a machine that's going to last 3 years or more (Pros don't upgrade every 5 minutes, unlike wannabes), so in reality you're going to want to get the best storage early.

As for your comments about bragging rights, that applies to this entire machine. There are very few applications that will max out even one of the GPUs (they're not optimized for gaming), so for 99.9% of Mac users, the 2nd one is a waste. In fact the first one is too. I'd much rather have the fastest SSD and memory subsystem, than two GPUs I can barely make use of.

It's kind of ironic that as little as three years ago, Mac Pros had grossly under powered GPUs (remember the GT120?), and now you have two in a little box that in almost every use-case will barely get 5% use.

They may buy no monitor, mouse or keyboard. I expect for many of these Mac Pros to be headless machines. It's certainly how I'd use it if I were to buy one.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    All I can say is ...

I am not going to buy a 4K video camera, I really don't need one, I am not going to buy a 4K video camera, I really don't need one, I am not going to buy a 4K video camera, I really don't need one, I am not going to buy a 4K video camera, I really don't need one, I am not going to buy a 4K video camera, I really don't need one, I am not going to buy a 4K video camera, I really don't need one, I am not going to buy a 4K video camera, I really don't need one ...

You should buy a 4k camera. You really need one.