FaceTime audio calls finally arrive on OS X in latest Mavericks beta

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Not really.

It likely means that any iDevice becomes a phone and can use whatever dataplan available. This seems to have implications for cell phone companies that may track minutes but not data, or companies like magicjack.

You have any computer that can run FaceTime and is on a network, you can make calls.

It does seem like an Oxymoron, but it's a good money-saving way to deal with a phone call.
    Not sure you know what an oxymoron is... :-P
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Originally Posted by frxntier View Post

Not sure you know what an oxymoron is... :-P

It’s what happens when the lacquer comes off an idiot, right?

• Reply 23 of 42

iChat AV always supported audio chats.  FaceTime audio would only benefit iPod Touch or iPad users on Wi-Fi.  FaceTime audio chats does not serve any purpose with an iPhone because if you wanted an audio chat, you can dial their phone number instead. 

FireFox is now the required browser for this website.  Safari crashes constantly whenever you try to comment in the forums.  An Apple-related site that does not support the preferred browser on the Mac.

• Reply 24 of 42
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

FaceTime audio would only benefit iPod Touch or iPad users on Wi-Fi.

No, not really. It benefits all users, as now they can do audio calls to said phones and PMPs.

FaceTime audio chats does not serve any purpose with an iPhone because if you wanted an audio chat, you can dial their phone number instead. 

So you can’t think of any reason that might not work out?

FireFox is now the required browser for this website.  Safari crashes constantly whenever you try to comment in the forums. 

No, Safari works. Update your OS.

• Reply 25 of 42
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

iChat AV always supported audio chats.  FaceTime audio would only benefit iPod Touch or iPad users on Wi-Fi.  FaceTime audio chats does not serve any purpose with an iPhone because if you wanted an audio chat, you can dial their phone number instead.

What if you are on wifi but inside a building with poor cell service?
    What if you want to call someone without a phone or without cell service but they do have a Mac?
    Also, FaceTime audio is much, much clearer than regular cell service audio
  • Reply 26 of 42
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    hillstones wrote: »
    FaceTime audio would only benefit iPod Touch or iPad users on Wi-Fi.
    Or an iPhone user who wants to talk to someone with an iPod Touch or iPad (in addition to iPhone or (soon) Mac).

Or an iPhone user with no cell reception, but with wi-fi.

Or an iPhone user without a voice plan or on pay-as-you-go.

Or an iPhone user calling internationally.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Allow us to make face time audio calls over 3G. AT&T's audio quality is just awful
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, Safari works. Update your OS.

Safari was the problem, not the OS.  Apple recently kicked out Safari 6.1.1 which fixed the text entry bug.  Had nothing to do with the OS.  Software Update through the App Store is weak and just notified me of the update today.  Mavericks is riddled with many more bugs, as you pointed out with iBooks, so it is not worth using.

• Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Or an iPhone user without a voice plan.

That would be called a dumbass to have a phone without a voice plan.  If you transfer your plan to a new phone, then your old iPhone becomes an iPod touch, which I already pointed out is limited to Wi-Fi.  Some places have lousy Wi-Fi so a cellular call would be better than an FT audio call.  FaceTime is pretty poor since Apple lost the licensing patent suit which caused them to change the server operation.  It worked great when it first rolled out.

• Reply 30 of 42

Safari was the problem, not the OS.

And you can only get the update to Safari by updating the OS.

so it is not worth using.

Well, that’s just wrong.

• Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:

And you can only get the update to Safari by updating the OS.

Well, that’s just wrong.

You are wrong.  Safari 6.1.1 runs on Mountain Lion and Lion.  It is not Mavericks only.  6.1.1 fixed the text entry bugs with many websites, including AI.  It was not limited to Safari 7 on Mavericks.

• Reply 32 of 42

You are wrong.

Except if you have 7, you can’t get six. Meaning to get 7.0.1, you update your OS.

Not that hard.

• Reply 33 of 42
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    That would be called a dumbass to have a phone without a voice plan.
    Maybe in the US. Not unusual in other places to have a no contract phone. Or to have a contract with only a small voice element and a big data allowance.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:

What if you get a new iPhone and give your kid your old one to use (for apps, games & music) but don't want to get them cell service?
    Lotsa people ask how to do exactly this (use iPhone without cell plan).
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:

Except if you have 7, you can’t get six. Meaning to get 7.0.1, you update your OS.

Not that hard.

You still don't get it.  Safari 6.1 for Lion and Mountain Lion have the same features (and bugs) as Safari 7 for Mavericks.  Updating to Safari 6.1.1 for Lion and Mountain Lion fixed the same bugs as Safari 7.0.1 for Mavericks.  Not everyone desires to run Mavericks.  Many have uninstalled it.  Read the Apple Support Forum.

• Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Quote:

What if you get a new iPhone and give your kid your old one to use (for apps, games & music) but don't want to get them cell service?

Lotsa people ask how to do exactly this (use iPhone without cell plan).

Why didn't you quote the rest of my post where I said using a retired iPhone is an iPod Touch.  Don't misquote me!

• Reply 37 of 42

Not that hard.
    You still don't get it.  Safari 6.1 for Lion and Mountain Lion have the same features (and bugs) as Safari 7 for Mavericks.  Updating to Safari 6.1.1 for Lion and Mountain Lion fixed the same bugs as Safari 7.0.1 for Mavericks.  Not everyone desires to run Mavericks.  Many have uninstalled it.  Read the Apple Support Forum.

Excuse me buttah, I think he means once you upgrade to 7 you can't downgrade to 6. After the release on Wednesday you could only downgrade until Saturday. AFter which Apple wasn't signing 6 anymore.
  • Reply 38 of 42

You’ll get it eventually. Nothing you have said is relevant at all.

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Excuse me buttah, I think he means once you upgrade to 7 you can't downgrade to 6. After the release on Wednesday you could only downgrade until Saturday. AFter which Apple wasn't signing 6 anymore.

Wait, they have to sign Safari? I hate it when OS and software version numbers sync up; it gets confusing. Not iOS, OS X’s Safari. 

• Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:

Don't misquote me!

I didn't. misquote you That's what the quotes are for (or in this case the Quote block)
    LOL...
    [quote] where I said using a retired iPhone is an iPod Touch[/quote]
    Except a retired iPhone is not an iPod touch.
    It is an iPhone (without a voice plan) and you wrote, "That would be called a dumbass to have a phone without a voice plan".
    (notice the quotes?)
    Again, LOL...
  • Reply 40 of 42
    This is a great opportunity for Apple to bring Opus support to the Mac! However, I bet stupid Apple will probably make its own Opus clone instead of using the standard. (ALAC WTF!)