Apple acquired digital mapping firm BroadMap, note-taking startup Catch earlier this year

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Two of Apple's five remaining mystery acquisitions were revealed on Monday as the acquisitions of geospatial intelligence startup BroadMap and cloud-based information organizer Catch came to light.

BroadMap

Lebanon, N.H.-based BroadMap provided a wide array of geospatial technologies, focused primarily around digital mapping and GIS services, to both corporate and government clients, while San Francisco-based Catch was a mobile application developer whose primary claim to fame was a cloud-based note-taking application similar to Evernote. The acquisitions --?said to have been completed in the first half of 2013 -- were first reported by 9to5mac and subsequently confirmed by AllThingsD.

When asked about the purchases, Apple issued their now-standard statement to the latter publication: "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans."

BroadMap counted Apple, Nokia --?presumably through the company's Navteq arm --?MapQuest, the FCC, and several state governments among its clients prior to the acquisition. Until now, there had been no public indication that the company had shut down or been acquired.

Catch

Catch's generally well-reviewed cross-platform service allowed users to capture notes and images from a variety of sources, both on mobile devices and through the web browser. Catch officially closed on Aug. 30 of this year, and a note posted on the company's website and e-mailed to customers indicated only that the founders intended to the the company "in a different direction."

With Apple confirming in their recent fourth quarter financial conference call that the company had made 15 acquisitions this year, three remain unknown. Those revealed thus far include mapping companies Locationary, HopStop, and Embark, semiconductor firms Passif and PrimeSense, media discovery app Matcha, Twitter analytics outfit Topsy, data compression startup AlgoTrim, and personal assistant app Cue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I'd like to see Apple buy out more small developers who craft highly functional apps designed to seamlessly integrate with iOS 7.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    "...intended to [B]the[/B] the company..."
  • Reply 3 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Indoor mapping / iBeacons related.

Too bad Apple is ignoring street view.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I'd like to see Apple buy out more small developers who craft highly functional apps designed to seamlessly integrate with iOS 7.

I'd like to see Apple acquire '53'.

And I really think Apple should have bought Instagram and kept that network iOS-exclusive.

Other acquisitions I would have liked Apple to make: Push Pop Press, Made by Sofa, they should hire Loren Brichter to work alongside Ive regards software, and they should have bought Twitter when they were smaller.

And for the love of God, Tim, please release iMessage for Android. You know who benefits the most when they do that? Apple device owners.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Catch has always been prominently displayed at the Apple Store here in Europe. In the US as well?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    According to James Fee's Twitter posts, Apple acquired staff and IP only.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Indoor mapping / iBeacons related.

Too bad Apple is ignoring street view.

Who says Apple is ignoring it? Based on its purchases, it is obvious Apple is sinking a lot of effort into Maps. It just hasn't released the new product yet. Moreover, based on the numbers, Apple doesn't need Street View. It was recently reported that over 80 percent of Apple users use Apple Maps over other alternatives. If true, Apple does not need Street View. I myself never use it. 

• Reply 8 of 13
    ireland wrote: »
    And for the love of God, Tim, please release iMessage for Android. You know who benefits the most when they do that? Apple device owners.

I think there are more advantages in iMessages remaing ios-only than not. Actually just one major one. A big incentive to be in the apple ecosystem.

I don't see that changing.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And for the love of God, Tim, please release iMessage for Android.

Please, Tim, never, for any reason.

You know who benefits the most when they do that?

Idiots that didn’t buy Apple devices.

• Reply 10 of 13
    beluga wrote: »
    I think there are more advantages in iMessages remaing ios-only than not. Actually just one major one. A big incentive to be in the apple ecosystem.

I don't see that changing.

I disagree. I don't see iOS users switching to Android because it has iMessage. I see using Messages on iOS as much more useful if everyone has the app, and the only way to ensure that is to release an Android version. As it is many of us are juggling several chat apps and it's just not a pleasant or good experience. Releasing an Android version of the app ensures iOS users can use the default Messages app to message everyone; it solves a problem; it's a better experience.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    tbell wrote: »

Who says Apple is ignoring it? Based on its purchases, it is obvious Apple is sinking a lot of effort into Maps. It just hasn't released the new product yet. Moreover, based on the numbers, Apple doesn't need Street View. It was recently reported that over 80 percent of Apple users use Apple Maps over other alternatives. If true, Apple does not need Street View. I myself never use it. 

Your argument is unconvincing. You are one person. 80% of people use a default app that gets system priority and doesn't need to be installed by the user? Wow. Street View can be very useful.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    ireland wrote: »
    I disagree. I don't see iOS users switching to Android because it has iMessage. I see using Messages on iOS as much more useful if everyone has the app, and the only way to ensure that is to release an Android version. As it is many of us are juggling several chat apps and it's just not a pleasant or good experience. Releasing an Android version of the app ensures iOS users can use the default Messages app to message everyone; it solves a problem; it's a better experience.

You may disagree but that's just the way it is. Apple wants IMessages ios-only to lure customers to its ecosystem

Else what do you think they are waiting for your suggestion to implement this? Lol or maybe is it so difficult technologically to implement this? Yes it's half a days work.

Your convenience dosent matter when it comes to corporate profits. Think of blackberry and BBM. They kept it propetiary for the same reasons. They elected to go bust before releasing it to all platforms. Email them about what's convenient to you, will ya? Lol
  • Reply 13 of 13

Thanks for sharing such a great information with us its really impressive and interesting.