Smartphone growth slowing in China as Apple expands iPhone presence

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Right, because tons of Chinese people already have Android phones and the fact iPhone was coming to China Mobile was the most anticlimactic worst kept dragged out secret in the world.
  • Reply 22 of 35

Just as many of us predicted the analysts will find some way to down play the china mobile deal and bag on Apple again.  Analysts are not worth much in my opinion any more other than being comedic relief, and honestly there not really funny at all.  More pathetic when you think about it.

• Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by george li View Post

Mr. Zhang happens to be the same analyst who said just a few days ago that apple won't reach agreement with china mobile until late 2014.

So he's 0 for 2.

I’ve seen guys from Wedge Partners spout off on CNBC and Bloomberg a couple of times. They’re absolutely off-the-wall nonsensical, rarely make sense, and when they occasionally do, appear to reveal a strong anti-Apple bias.

• Reply 24 of 35
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    I’m surprised it took this long for an analyst to put a negative spin on the deal. AAPL down $2.44 today.

That was 'profit taking'.
    People are correct that this is just 'pissing on the fire' in order to fit the 'Android is the winner' meme.
    Kinda like the 'Both sides are to blame' meme out of Washington press corps.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    An iPhone 5s costs an American about 1.15% of the average per-capita GDP to purchase.  It costs about 9% in China.

I think the demand in the US for the iPhone 5s would be rather muted if it cost $6,740 to buy one.

The Average income in China in 2012 was $2,100 while in a prosperous city such as Shanghai it was $4,700.

I know there are a lot of people in China but the iPhone will be affordable to only a tiny fraction of the population.  Some people seem to be expecting runaway sales.  Maybe that will happen.  It will certainly be interesting to to see what transpires.

The ones in China who can afford an iPhone is growing every year. In a few years, that number will surpass the entire US pop.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    cnocbui wrote: »
    The Average income in China in 2012 was $2,100 while in a prosperous city such as Shanghai it was $4,700.

I know there are a lot of people in China but the iPhone will be affordable to only a tiny fraction of the population.  Some people seem to be expecting runaway sales.  Maybe that will happen.  It will certainly be interesting to to see what transpires.

jungmark wrote: »
    The ones in China who can afford an iPhone is growing every year. In a few years, that number will surpass the entire US pop.

Exactly!

Plus... I think people are forgetting that the iPhone has already been on sale in China for the last 4 years.

I never understood the "iPhone is too expensive for China" argument when Apple has obviously been selling there for a while.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I’ve seen guys from Wedge Partners spout off on CNBC and Bloomberg a couple of times. They’re absolutely off-the-wall nonsensical, rarely make sense, and when they occasionally do, appear to reveal a strong anti-Apple bias.

Kicking the shins of the frontrunner is the only way to get attention.

• Reply 28 of 35
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Can't believe the number of analysts help WS to game the system against Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... data from Wedge Partners suggests that the popularity of Apple's latest iPhones has been slipping in China in favor of handsets from local manufacturers...

last time I looked, iPhones were still made in Shenzhen by Foxconn...

• Reply 30 of 35
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Android has reached the peak this year. There are practically no feature phones in the use that are supposed to be replaced with smartphones and even those will most probably run some kind of an Android. User experience bars are therefore raising for the smartphone users, which means only one thing: iPhone gaining share.

• Reply 31 of 35
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

last time I looked, iPhones were still made in Shenzhen by Foxconn...

Exactly, and the Chinese are very proud of the iPhone being made there.  

• Reply 32 of 35
    mj web wrote: »
    Right, because tons of Chinese people already have Android phones and the fact iPhone was coming to China Mobile was the most anticlimactic worst kept dragged out secret in the world.

Yeah, they said the same thing about Verizon getting the iPhone. Just because you settled for less doesn't mean you won't step up to an iPhone when the opportunity arises in the future. And based on the stats on switchers, I'd say I'm right.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    iPhone growth is not slowing in China.

Imagine when Apple releases a bigger screen iPhone 6.

Wow. What can Sammy release to create that level if excitement and drive new sales and upgrades?
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

iPhone growth is not slowing in China.

Imagine when Apple releases a bigger screen iPhone 6.

Wow. What can Sammy release to create that level if excitement and drive new sales and upgrades?

In my opinion, Apple doesn't need to make a cheaper phone for China, it needs to make a more expensive phone and it needs to differentiate the line-up. If the phone has 64 gigs (or, hopefully, 128) with all the bells and whistles, make it gold, 32 gig... make it silver, 16 gig... well, you get the idea... and, the phone would need a larger screen.

• Reply 35 of 35

Smart phone is very popular in China and almost everyone owns a smart phone.The phone has reached its peak this year.However,with the spread of the cell phone ,people's peaceful life maybe broken up by the mobile phones.Therefore the 

phone blocker comes out to help people create a quiet condition.