Rumor: LG hopes to catch up to Apple with fingerprint sensor in next-gen Android phone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If my wife can do it anyone can. image. She has not had any problems whatsoever. My guess is your initial set up wasn't done quite right.

My GF is the same way. Although, she has always liked my Apple gear, iMac, MacBook, ATV, iPad, iPhone(s), Siri, iLife, Mail, iWork, etc., but she is not tech savvy in the least. And was reluctant to get an iPhone b/c of the cost of a plan. Her Sprint $45/mo vs. $100/mo for the iPhone.

We just got her a 5c (blue) and an iPad for Xmas. I told her, watching her use these for the first few days was like watching a baby take its first steps! :) But she has really embraced them and thinks I'm a genius. (Thx, SJ!)

The other day, she said she has the best phone, the best tablet and the best car all b/c of me! Ahhh! :) We just got her a Prius C (White, of course) and yes it has an Apple sticker on the back! Her license plate is LV53MPG. Yes, I had to help her order the plate! :)

P.S. She was insistent in that she wanted a folio with a keyboard...we got her an orange Logitech BT with a kind of white rubbery keyboard and I have to admit it is rather neat using for typing. I was very impressed with it. She does use it more like a laptop b/c of work, emails, forms etc. 

• Reply 42 of 113
    Touch ID has been a mixed bag for me. When it works, it's great, but I find that after a month or so the sensor refuses to recognize my thumb print and I have to rescan it. I suspect others might be having issues as well, which may be why the Touch ID setting was moved to a more easily accessible location in the latest iOS 7 update.

I like your idea of scanning the same print in multiple "fingers" though. I'll give that a try.
  • Reply 43 of 113
    How is everyone doing with Touch ID? Mine is quite flaky, working about 20% of the time. 

Mine works 99.9% of the time. The only times it doesn't is if my fingers are a bit sweaty or I just got back indoor from the brutal winter in Chicago. Otherwise I love it. I just got an iPad air and it annoyes me when I have to enter my code. I just got used to Touch ID. How we managed without it, I don't know.

I had a Thinkpad (back when IBM sold them) that had finger print recognition and it hardly ever worked.
  • Reply 44 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

Mine works 99.9% of the time. The only times it doesn't is if my fingers are a bit sweaty or I just got back indoor from the brutal winter in Chicago. Otherwise I love it. I just got an iPad air and it annoyes me when I have to enter my code. I just got used to Touch ID. How we managed without it, I don't know.

I had a Thinkpad (back when IBM sold them) that had finger print recognition and it hardly ever worked.

I'm with you MacMan. Perhaps, I'm stating the obvious, but Apple will put FP ID on the iPads in 2014....maybe even MBA's and MBP's! Pretty cool stuff! :)

I like it when they take a new technology and quickly implement it across their entire line-up. The universal connector, Retina display, unibody construction, backlit keyboards, A7/M7 chip, camera improvements, wifi AC, etc., etc.

I'm on an orig. intel imac that can't be upgraded past SL and as much as I covet Mavericks, I harbor no resentment towards Apple. I would prefer they put their resources to the future making better and better OS's than making things backwards compatible.

I need to get on the stick and buy a new MBA or 27" iMac with Mavericks installed. :)

Best

• Reply 45 of 113
    I'm with you MacMan. Perhaps, I'm stating the obvious, but Apple will put FP ID on the iPads in 2014....maybe even MBA's and MBP's! Pretty cool stuff! :)

I like it when they take a new technology and quickly implement it across their entire line-up. The universal connector, Retina display, unibody construction, backlit keyboards, A7/M7 chip, camera improvements, wifi AC, etc., etc.

I'm on an orig. intel imac that can't be upgraded past SL and as much as I covet Mavericks, I harbor no resentment towards Apple. I would prefer they put their resources to the future making better and better OS's than making things backwards compatible.

I need to get on the stick and buy a new MBA or 27" iMac with Mavericks installed. :)

Best

You won't go wrong with an MBA. I have one and I love it. I had an iMac, but truth be told, I found my self wanting the portability, and my MBA is pretty darn fast with SSD drive. Either way, you won't go wrong, the iMac is pretty sexy and powerful.
  • Reply 46 of 113
    Quote:

You won't go wrong with an MBA. I have one and I love it. I had an iMac, but truth be told, I found my self wanting the portability, and my MBA is pretty darn fast with SSD drive. Either way, you won't go wrong, the iMac is pretty sexy and powerful.

Yep, Thx MacMan...I'm not quite ready to just go with an iPad and an iPhone just yet. I'm still have one foot stuck in the old school of having the biggest screen on an iMac/desktop AND a small MBA/Laptop. Problem is, I want both! :)

I found, when I got my iPad, (like a lot of people including Tim Cook), I was using the iPad and my iPhone 90% of the time. I tried to do everything I could on the iPad just because I found iOS much more fun and intuitive!

Oh well, decisions, decisions. I'll probably will, like you, get an MBA.

As you say they are truly marvelous machines! :)

Best

• Reply 47 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Have you re-scanned your fingers? imore.com had a piece up a while back with some tips on what you can do if touch ID isn't always working properly.

LOL only about 5 times now. I even added my thumb twice as one user said that helped. 

• Reply 48 of 113
    Quote:

I love it when it works. 

• Reply 49 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Mine works 99% of the time.

Delete all your prints and start again.

Personally I scanned my same finger in 4 of the slots.  Works amazingly well.

Anytime it doesn't work its for obvious reasons: hands wet or sticky or scanned very edge of finger.

The feature is so awesome.  I also have an iPadAir and I wish it had the fingerprint scanner everytime i need to swipe and enter my password.

Not questioning the feature, it's awesome when it works. 

I tried rescanning my fingers 5 times now and scanning my thumb in two slots. Has nothing to do with wet, sticky, hot, cold, position of finger, pressure used or position of the moon. I can scan in, lock the phone, then not be able to scan back in. 

• Reply 50 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wish them luck but there are several parts to this that I don't think are easily tackled. Are they going to create their own SoC or at least create their own secure chip to store the encrypted hashes? Will they use sapphire crystal? Are they acquiring any companies to make this happen? And where is Samsung in all of this? I would have thought they would be first out of the gate with SSecure or something.

PS: I wonder if TouchID requires the increased security features of AArch64.

I haven't had any issues. I wonder if people are scanning in their prints in the manner that is shown on the graphic. Meaning, vertical and straight down in an unnatural position. I did mine on an angle in the position I would most likely try to do a scan when holding it with one hand.

Tried several different ways. The process actually has you scan vertical several times and then reposition as you might use it. Nothing. I think a trip to the Apple store is, well, in store. 

• Reply 51 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I'm not blaming you, some people are having issues. Might be due to the shape of your prints or the way your skin changes during the day, or something else. I have no problem myself. I have scanned 4 fingers, and haven't changed the prints for more than a month. It works almost all the time, I'd say more than 90% and close to 95% of the time. And if it doesn't work on the first try, it always does on the second.

Gave me an idea. I'll have someone else print one of their fingers in the slot and then test it over the next week to determine if its me or the phone. Thanks! 

• Reply 52 of 113
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Tried several different ways. The process actually has you scan vertical several times and then reposition as you might use it. Nothing. I think a trip to the Apple store is, well, in store. 

That would be my next suggestion. I would request they replace it under the premise that it's faulty
  • Reply 53 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If my wife can do it anyone can. image. She has not had any problems whatsoever. My guess is your initial set up wasn't done quite right.

Yeah, it is NOT a user issue, but thanks! :grumble: lol

I tried scanning 5 times now. Scans in some time, then not others, but mostly not. 

• Reply 54 of 113
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Does Apple own a patent of placing fingerprint sensor with the home button?

• Reply 55 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

very ignorant post

No not really.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don’t post about 64-bit again until you’ve educated yourself.

Already have thank you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

This is, of course, ludicrous. A 64 bit architecture offers 64 bit address buses, data buses and registers which provide independently verifiable, significant performance improvements.

Yes and no, it is entirely dependent on what software is being run.

64 bit address buses only real benefit is that it can address more than 4 GB of system ram, if the system has less than 4 GB or software being run is using less than 2 GB in a single thread than there is really not any possibility that a 64 bit address bus will improve performance.

The real performance increase in 64 bit is for applications that handle large data arrays; so things like CAD/CAE-like programs, data managers, programs to work with digital media and applied scientific applications, so yes iphone 5s with it current specs would see quite an increase in performance when executing such software.  

I don't think the every day user/owner of an iphone 5s or ipad executes such 3rd party software or even 1st party software or even desires too, until they do the 64 bit advantage is the address bus and until Apple releases an iphone or ipad that has more than 4 GB it is all but really a gimmick.

• Reply 56 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

How is everyone doing with Touch ID? Mine is quite flaky, working about 20% of the time. 

Retrain it. Mine is rock solid and works every time.

• Reply 57 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Noliving View Post

No not really.

Already have thank you.

Yes and no, it is entirely dependent on what software is being run.

64 bit address buses only real benefit is that it can address more than 4 GB of system ram, if the system has less than 4 GB or software being run is using less than 2 GB in a single thread than there is really not any possibility that a 64 bit address bus will improve performance.

The real performance increase in 64 bit is for applications that handle large data arrays; so things like CAD/CAE-like programs, data managers, programs to work with digital media and applied scientific applications, so yes iphone 5s with it current specs would see quite an increase in performance when executing such software.  

I don't think the every day user/owner of an iphone 5s or ipad executes such 3rd party software or even 1st party software or even desires too, until they do the 64 bit advantage is the address bus and until Apple releases an iphone or ipad that has more than 4 GB it is all but really a gimmick.

Oh another one of you 4 Gig people.  This theory has already been discussed ad nauseum, there are huge benefits of a 64 bit processor the least of which is addressing more that 4 Gig of memory.  Anand La Shimpi says so as do others more knowledgeable than you.  You should stop reading the android blogs because this is there favorite line.   Heck even Qualcomm retracted there Senior VP idiots statement as being false for claiming the same thing and demoted him.  There a chip maker they know more about it than you or I.  And for your info all 1st party apps on iOS are full 64 bit.

• Reply 58 of 113

They failed right there when they said "swipe sensor".  I had one on a motorola atrix and they sucked.  It was a phone for work..  Good luck with that LG.

• Reply 59 of 113
    Originally Posted by Noliving View Post

Already have thank you.

If you had, you wouldn’t be repeating this worthless nonsense.

64 bit address buses only real benefit is that it can address more than 4 GB of system ram …until Apple releases an iPhone or ipad that has more than 4 GB it is all but really a gimmick.

Completely and utterly incorrect. Educate yourself. I’ll repeat it until you do.

• Reply 60 of 113

You guys do realize that Motorola had a fingerprint scanner on their smartphone made by the same copmany that Apple bought right?

Only difference is that Apple implemented a better location (Atrix was on the back top of the phone...wtf?) and obviously already has a huge loyal consumer base.