Apps for your new Mac: Useful utilities

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post

App cleaner looks like a ripoff of AppZapper.

I've been using AppTrap since my first Mac running Leopard. It's been flawless since, even through all updates to OS X through Mavericks. 

• Reply 42 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I'd add Window Tidy to that list; handy for people with large screens (though the Finder has gotten way more manageable with its tabs)

https://itunes.apple.com/app/window-tidy/id456609775?l=en&mt=12

Also, Rarify to compress, Calibre as an alternative .epub reader, MenuMeters as a SysPrefs plugin, XLD for converting audio, HandBrake.fr and iVI for video converting and so on and so forth.

Thanks for the tip on MenuMeters. I've been looking for a good replacement for iStatMenus since they started charging a crazy amount of money for it.

• Reply 43 of 66
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Another application that I haven't seen mentioned, but which has extensive functionality in numerous areas beyond the obvious, is Path Finder.

As well as replacing Finder, it handles searching, application launching and switching, compressing and uncompressing, screen capture, text files and terminal emulation, all from one menu.

• Reply 44 of 66
    Originally Posted by Rickers View Post

Stupid statement.

If it was, you’d be able to prove it wrong.

VLC is a good tool.

Well, you got four words right.

It was unfortunate when they dropped shoutcast support though.

Hey, anything that removes the unremovable useless crap from the sidebar is fine by me.

Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post

App cleaner looks like a ripoff of AppZapper.

Yeah, but it’s free.

• Reply 45 of 66
    What is your go-to alternative for VLC? I also use XBMC at times.

Also, what about app updating for those apps that aren’t from the App Store?
    I have Bodega on my system, but it seems to miss a few now and then.
  • Reply 46 of 66
    shokk wrote: »
    What is your go-to alternative for VLC? I also use XBMC at times.

Also, what about app updating for those apps that aren’t from the App Store?
    I have Bodega on my system, but it seems to miss a few now and then.

Mine are Movist and iVI+iTunes, as mentioned in this thread, and QTX with the Perian plugin for codecs.
  • Reply 47 of 66
    Namechanger is a nice app to rename files in batch. For a long list of image files, this handy tool works great!

http://mrrsoftware.com/MRRSoftware/NameChanger.html
  • Reply 48 of 66
    Why Alfred is better than QuickSilver?
    Last time I check, Alfred was only launching tool.
    What alfred can do more, or better, than QuickSilver??
  • Reply 49 of 66
    Well, for me, the essentials are:

- BetterTouchTool (MUST HAVE for trackpad... well, for everyone if you like Window Snapping)
    - DisplayMenu (MUST HAVE in a multi-display environment)
    - Dropbox
    - Gimp
    - Google Chrome (when Safari can't handle some things or the page is restricted)
    - Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac
    - Mozilla Firefox (not for the browser itself, but for one of its extensions: DownThemAll)
    - Parallels Desktop
    - The Unarchiver
    - VLC
  • Reply 50 of 66
    Originally Posted by alejandroivan View Post

- Google Chrome (when Safari can't handle some things or the page is restricted)

Which is never.

• Reply 51 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which is never.

Not really. Some people (especially at the University) have the weird habit of restricting pages by browser identifier.

One time it happened to me that every page I loaded it said with an alert "It's recommended to use Google Chrome" but, after clicking OK, the page worked properly. Also, for testing (I'm a web developer), multiple browsers are useful, too.

• Reply 52 of 66
    Originally Posted by alejandroivan View Post

Not really. Some people (especially at the University) have the weird habit of restricting pages by browser identifier.

Then they’re elitist morons who don’t deserve the time of day, much less your views. Screw what they want to pretend.

Safari can lie to them, you know.

• Reply 53 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Both HandBrake (video converter/ripper) and Onyx (general Mac maintenance) should definitely be on that list.

i agree on Handbrake, especially since VLC started having issues. I would much rather Mac OS was more plug in friendly and we could just download them for what formats we need. (same with iOS)

but frankly i never found Onyx to be all that overwhelming. many functions just aren't that difficult to do 'manually' or that important in the grand scheme of things for most users. 

• Reply 54 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

Sounds like there are some guys on here that know their apps pretty well.  Slilghtly off the subject of OS-x...but does anyone know of a good app for the iPad that works kind of like the finder (which I like because I am comfortable with this kind of filing system)?  I got my new mini coming in soon and would be interested in suggestions. (Or am I confused and will discover that I won/t actually need this)?

iOS doesn't have a common file system so a 'finder' app isn't all that useful.

files live in the data folder for the app that is used to open them

• Reply 55 of 66
    I have a horrible experience with VLC, it skips audio for few seconds like every 2-3 minutes. I have tried various tips on user forums how to fix it but nothing helped. I ended up going with Mplayer for OSX.
  • Reply 56 of 66
    I'm constantly amazed that DefaultFolder X is left off these type of lists.
  • Reply 57 of 66
    tallest skil : its pretty hard to have only one encoding technique for all devices and all use cases. For example, some techniques are better for streaming data while other are not. Some are algorithms are faster if lots ram is available (like on a computer) and are horrible with minimal amounts (like on a phone). Some can compress data tremendously but require a serious machine behind them.

So the 'one world. one encoding, all devices' is only possible if everybody owned the same type of device and did the same stuff.
  • Reply 58 of 66
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    dennyc2013 wrote: »
    tallest skil : its pretty hard to have only one encoding technique for all devices and all use cases. For example, some techniques are better for streaming data while other are not. Some are algorithms are faster if lots ram is available (like on a computer) and are horrible with minimal amounts (like on a phone). Some can compress data tremendously but require a serious machine behind them.

So the 'one world. one encoding, all devices' is only possible if everybody owned the same type of device and did the same stuff.

One can, of course, also you one application and use that to output to different formats, for specific needs. Still, one application to rule them all.
  • Reply 59 of 66
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">- Google Chrome (when Safari can't handle some things or the page is restricted)</span>

Which is never.

That's not true. This site doesn't work with Safari, meaning you cannot up- nor download anything:

https://mega.co.nz

Something with their encryption and safari's 'incomplete HTML5' implementation.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by DennyC2013 View Post

tallest skil : its pretty hard to have only one encoding technique for all devices and all use cases. 

You’re totally right about that. Thing is, MP4 already does a pretty darn good job with both, even on devices with ludicrously small amounts of RAM.

Or had the application to play them all.