iOS 7 now installed on 78% of active Apple handheld devices

Comments

• Reply 61 of 95
    I remember when there were so many negative comments about iOS7. And now everyone has flocked to this new system in droves. Only goes to proven that man is a creature of habit
  • Reply 62 of 95
    jungmark wrote: »
    To be fair to Googs, that 1.1% is about 100% of Android phones that can actually upgrade to 4.4.

As for ios7 breaking wifi on the 4S, I don't think it's that great of a percentage otherwise Apple would have said something. While I don't doubt it exists, I am not having that issue on mine.

I have not had any problems running iOS7 on my iPhone 4, so can't see any reason for there being problems on the iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 63 of 95
    bushman4 wrote: »
    I remember when there were so many negative comments about iOS7. And now everyone has flocked to this new system in droves. Only goes to proven that man is a creature of habit

Especially when that habit is force fed.
  • Reply 64 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

You said if you search for ios7 issues with the 4S, you get 18 MM hits to "prove" it's widespread. I just search for android issues and got that many hits. So if your relative is that concerned with issues, maybe Android isn't his best bet.

No. I said that the search resulted in that many results to show that it was an incredibly simple thing for anyone thinking about upgrading to see that there might be some issues that they might want to look into before upgrading. I had nothing to do with any proof of how prevelent an issue it was. It was in response to your assertion that zero people would have heard of this. When even a simple search returns numerous results it isn't some hidden secret that will require a lot of work to find.

I really wish that I had never said what phone he went with since too many people want to focus on Android now. That he chose an Android phone is not the issue. The fact that he chose a phone that specifically was not Apple because of their poor response to their breaking of his phone is the issue. Ikrupp is correct. He didn't choose Android because he likes Android he chose it because it wasn't Apple. At this point, if he doesn't like this phone I would expect that he might try a Windows Phone or a Blackberry before he goes back to Apple. Then again, he may not.

• Reply 65 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

I have not had any problems running iOS7 on my iPhone 4, so can't see any reason for there being problems on the iPhone 4S.

It apparently has to do with a batch of chips used in the iPhone 4S for wifi connectivity. I am not sure if it is the chip itself or the solder connection for the chip, but it isn't anything inherently wrong with the iPhone 4S's design or specs. It is a quality control issue that seems to have been brought to light by something in iOS7.

Again, I am not upset with this. I am in manufacturing and this sort of thing is inevitable. You cannot account for every instance or occurrence.

What I am upset with Apple about is their response to their breaking of these people's phones. They have basically taken the stance that since it is a small percentage or people then they are not going to do anything to correct their breaking of these people's phones. It is bad ethics and bad business.

• Reply 66 of 95
    mknopp wrote: »

No. I said that the search resulted in that many results to show that it was an incredibly simple thing for anyone thinking about upgrading to see that there might be some issues that they might want to look into before upgrading. I had nothing to do with any proof of how prevelent an issue it was. It was in response to your assertion that zero people would have heard of this. When even a simple search returns numerous results it isn't some hidden secret that will require a lot of work to find.

I really wish that I had never said what phone he went with since too many people want to focus on Android now. That he chose an Android phone is not the issue. The fact that he chose a phone that specifically was not Apple because of their poor response to their breaking of his phone is the issue. Ikrupp is correct. He didn't choose Android because he likes Android he chose it because it wasn't Apple. At this point, if he doesn't like this phone I would expect that he might try a Windows Phone or a Blackberry before he goes back to Apple. Then again, he may not.

Sounds like he went through an unfortunate situation. Apple usually remedies things like this, but to fair it happens not only to just Apple.

http://m.technobuffalo.com/2013/12/30/droid-maxx-droid-ultra-droid-mini-kitkat-update-pulled-after-bricking-reports/
  • Reply 67 of 95
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

No, I don't have any written proof of this. You only have my word for this, which I only have my cousin's word for.

Although, I will say that I didn't really believe him that it was a problem. I hadn't heard anything about it until I talked to him at Thanksgiving. Afterwords, I did some research and ran across several places on the web that were saying the same things. Interestingly, every once in a while you would see a person who would say that Apple did replace their phone. It seemed to be a crap shoot as to who you got for support. Which in and of itself is a bit troubling.

So, you can either believe that we are all liars about this or it is an actual response that Apple has given.

My cousin's phone, and the only phones that this has appeared to be a problem with, is the iPhone 4S. And even within the iPhone 4S it appears to only be certain ones. I have seen it theorized based on some actions taken to "fix" the problem temporarily that it is likely either a bad batch of wifi chips or a bad solder joint. I cannot speak to these, although I will have to ask my cousin if he still has his old phone if the Bluetooth still works. Since it is controlled by the same chip. If it does then it is likely a bad solder connection for just wifi if it doesn't then it is likely the chip.

My cousin lost the ability to use wifi.

Again, I realize that this isn't a problem with the majority. And to be honest I am not even upset or suprised that there was a problem. These things happen. What shocked and disappointed me was Apple's incredibly poor response to this. Apple's QA/QC department might have caused this issue, but their service/support department's response made it into a problem.

Instead of having another feather in their cap and a group of customers who would go out into the world talking about how Apple quickly and courteously responded to their issues by giving them a new phone Apple's response has created a group of disgruntled customers. You can't please everyone all of the time, but when Apple made the problem they should have corrected it. Instead, the exacerbated it.

The problem that many of us here at AI have with this kind of posting is that it sounds a lot like ranting, venting out your frustrations.

You keep on talking about Apple made the problem they should have corrected it. What problem did they make since you yourself admits, a little further up even within the iPhone 4S it appears to only be certain ones, which I assume means only a fraction.

Then you say Apple's QA/QC department might have caused this issue.  How exactly did they caused it? Do you know how quality control works? They will test a randomly selected fraction of phones coming off an assembly line. No company in the world has the resources to individually test millions of devices, before shipping them to clients.

Then you go on saying that, their service/support department's response made it into a problem. Here it doesn't seem to me that you actually went to an Apple store, if one is available near you, to have them take a look at it. Either you talked to someone over the phone or you chatted with someone. Problems like these are extremely difficult to diagnose even when you are holding the actual device. Imagine now being far away from the device and trying to diagnose a problem through chat or over the phone.

Like I said, try to take it to an Apple Store if possibble. Don't judge an entire company, who employees thousands of people world wide, by the reponses of one support person.

If you have Apple Care then your cousin's iPhone 4S is probably still under guarantee and will be replaced immediately by another iPhone 4S.

If you live in a country outside the US, you may even be legally covered and Apple may not have a choice but to replace the device even without Apple Care.

If your phone is out of guarantee then they may be able to replace it but for a small fee. They did it a few years back with my iPhone 3GS with water damage.

If you still want to rant then may I suggest C|Net forums?

• Reply 68 of 95
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Sounds like he went through an unfortunate situation. Apple usually remedies things like this, but to fair it happens not only to just Apple.

http://m.technobuffalo.com/2013/12/30/droid-maxx-droid-ultra-droid-mini-kitkat-update-pulled-after-bricking-reports/

Yes, they usually do. They few times that I have had any issue with an Apple product they have been exceptional. That is why this causes me such concern. Is this the beginning of a new, and worse, trend in Apple's support? Is this what Apple is going to be like in the future? As long as they only screw over a small percentage of their customers then it is all fine and acceptable?

I realize that it can happen to anyone. And you want to know what struck me about the article that you posted? They stopped the rollout of the update, supposedly to look into it. I don't know how the percentages compare and the result of the Android error is more severe as the iPhone 4S still functions as a phone, but Motorola and Verizon are taking responsibility for their mistake. Apple doesn't seem to be and I find that troubling.

• Reply 69 of 95
    saarek wrote: »
    I own a lot of Apple hardware and will point out when I think Apple is wrong, rather than a faceless Apple Fan who almost has a heart attack when anything negative is said about their beloved corporation.

You vs some fictional "faceless Apple fan"? Please. False dichotomy. Some of us can see through that. Those aren't the only two ways to look at it. The Apple critics will find fault with everything Apple does. The company is damned if they do, damned if they don't. Don't upgrade older devices? They're creating fragmentation. Upgrade older devices? Bitch and moan about how slow it is. Improve iOS? Whine about the changes. Don't improve iOS? Complain about stale. Add retina display to iPads mini? Complain that it's not innovation. Don't add retina display to iPad? Whine about no retina display. Change Mac Pro? Whine about changes. Don't change Mac Pro? Stale. And so on. To the Apple media critic, it's not about "not being afraid to call Apple out", its about the permanent negative spin.
  • Reply 70 of 95
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Many people were forced to upgrade if they wanted their 12 Days of Christmas goodies.
  • Reply 71 of 95
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    decondo wrote: »
    Not to mention it's ugly and too bright - I like plain, but….

I thought the same but it was mostly the default background images that loads and is shown in all the ads. I switched to the dark gray snake skin like still image, under accessibility turned on bold and larger text and am now very please with how it looks. A bunch of friends have done the same and say it a world of difference.
  • Reply 72 of 95
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

I never said it happened to zero people. But realistically Apple ships 100MM+ iPhones a year and the failure rate is probably less than 1%.
  • Reply 73 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post

The problem that many of us here at AI have with this kind of posting is that it sounds a lot like ranting, venting out your frustrations.

You keep on talking about Apple made the problem they should have corrected it. What problem did they make since you yourself admits, a little further up even within the iPhone 4S it appears to only be certain ones, which I assume means only a fraction.

Then you say Apple's QA/QC department might have caused this issue.  How exactly did they caused it? Do you know how quality control works? They will test a randomly selected fraction of phones coming off an assembly line. No company in the world has the resources to individually test millions of devices, before shipping them to clients.

Then you go on saying that, their service/support department's response made it into a problem. Here it doesn't seem to me that you actually went to an Apple store, if one is available near you, to have them take a look at it. Either you talked to someone over the phone or you chatted with someone. Problems like these are extremely difficult to diagnose even when you are holding the actual device. Imagine now being far away from the device and trying to diagnose a problem through chat or over the phone.

Like I said, try to take it to an Apple Store if possibble. Don't judge an entire company, who employees thousands of people world wide, by the reponses of one support person.

If you have Apple Care then your cousin's iPhone 4S is probably still under guarantee and will be replaced immediately by another iPhone 4S.

If you live in a country outside the US, you may even be legally covered and Apple may not have a choice but to replace the device even without Apple Care.

If your phone is out of guarantee then they may be able to replace it but for a small fee. They did it a few years back with my iPhone 3GS with water damage.

If you still want to rant then may I suggest C|Net forums?

What is the dividing line between a rant and bringing up something that one finds troubling?

I like Apple products. I have for years and have for a long time suggested them to anyone that I think they would work for, which is the vast majority of people. I have had no qualms about this. Mostly because of the exceptional support that I have received and heard about from others.

Now, I run smack dab into this. It hits home in a very solid way, and all of a sudden I find that I have reservations about recommending Apple products. To me this is a concern. And people who just shrug and accept it will only make the problem persist or worsen.

I hold no illusions about Apple. They are a corporation, and as a corporation they exist to make profit. They are not a charity and they will do what maximizes profits. Which means that unless enough people let them know that they find this sort of behavior unacceptable as a corporation they will continue to do this and push more boundaries of unacceptable behavior.

I post here because I was hoping to find people who liked Apple enough to bring this unacceptable behavior to their attention. I am starting to think that this forum is the opposite of the CNet forum, where I would get no help because too many there want to see Apple fail. Here I am getting the impression that Apple is considered infallible, or at least that they are faultless for harming others through their actions as long as that number is less than 1 million, 100 thousand, 10 thousand, 1 thousand or some other number as long as it is a small percentage.

To be honest, my cousin did not go to an Apple Store, the closest is an hour and a half away, but he did call customer support three times and detailed a problem that was, or should have been, known to Apple support. It isn't hard to diagnose a problem when someone calls in about their iPhone 4S losing wifi after upgrading to iOS7. Run them through some test of settings and restarts to see if it is something else. If it isn't and it is a known issue then replace the phone. This wasn't some obscure and unknown issue.

So, am I ranting? Possibly, depends on your definition. I think that I am bringing up a troubling issue to people who I assumed also liked Apple and wanted to see them remain strong and innovative for the foreseeable future. To me, I see this as a bad sign. Maybe it isn't.

• Reply 74 of 95
    Quote:

I never said it happened to zero people. But realistically Apple ships 100MM+ iPhones a year and the failure rate is probably less than 1%.

Wow, I must not be very clear, or you are having trouble understanding. You are still focused on the number of people having this issue. That is not relevant to the particular line of the discussion that we are having.

There are enough people having this problem to make any sane iPhone 4S user at least wary of upgrading. It is a gamble to upgrade an iPhone 4S to iOS7. It might be a small gamble, but it is still a gamble.

You stated the following:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Number of iPhones 4S owners aware of this, still running iOS 6, and specifically avoiding iOS 7 because of this potential non-problem? 0.

You state, with removal of subordinate clause for clarity, "Number of iPhone 4S owners aware of this...? 0" That seems very clear that you are stating that not a single iPhone 4S owner is aware of this issue. I pointed out how absurd that statement is by showing how ridiculously easy it is to find reports of problems with loading iOS7 onto an iPhone 4S.

I am not even going to get into the inaccuracy of stating that this is a non-problem. Unless of course, you are also claiming that this never happened and everyone who says otherwise is a liar. It might be a low probability problem, but it is a problem.

And if you don't think so, then I will pose to you also. What number of people is it acceptable for Apple to cause financial harm through their actions before you feel they should be held accountable? 1,000? 10,000? 100,000? 1,000,000? All of these numbers are insignificant percentages of iPhone users, but they are not insignificant numbers. Apple, through their actions alone, has cost a small percentage of people financial harm. When should they be responsible for their actions?

• Reply 75 of 95
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:

To be fair to Googs, that 1.1% is about 100% of Android phones that can actually upgrade to 4.4.

I'm not really sure what you mean by that.  For example, I have a 2010 Captivate (with a Wolfson DAC) that I use as a music player, via CM11 the device is currently running KitKat 4.4.2.  

• Reply 76 of 95
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Wow, I must not be very clear, or you are having trouble understanding. You are still focused on the number of people having this issue. That is not relevant to the particular line of the discussion that we are having.

There are enough people having this problem to make any sane iPhone 4S user at least wary of upgrading. It is a gamble to upgrade an iPhone 4S to iOS7. It might be a small gamble, but it is still a gamble.

You stated the following:

You state, with removal of subordinate clause for clarity, "Number of iPhone 4S owners aware of this...? 0" That seems very clear that you are stating that not a single iPhone 4S owner is aware of this issue. I pointed out how absurd that statement is by showing how ridiculously easy it is to find reports of problems with loading iOS7 onto an iPhone 4S.

I am not even going to get into the inaccuracy of stating that this is a non-problem. Unless of course, you are also claiming that this never happened and everyone who says otherwise is a liar. It might be a low probability problem, but it is a problem.

And if you don't think so, then I will pose to you also. What number of people is it acceptable for Apple to cause financial harm through their actions before you feel they should be held accountable? 1,000? 10,000? 100,000? 1,000,000? All of these numbers are insignificant percentages of iPhone users, but they are not insignificant numbers. Apple, through their actions alone, has cost a small percentage of people financial harm. When should they be responsible for their actions?

You better check who posted that again.

Electronics fail from time to time. If it's in the warranty period, it'll be replaced or fixed. There will never be a 100.00000% success rate.

1000, 10000 are insignificant considering the 100MM iPhones are sold each year. Let's consider this with other electronics. 40-50% of the original xbox failed.

Tell me what the rate is if the 4S failing with iOS 7. As I said before, you can't rely of search results and discussion posts. I'm sure someone has a scientific survey out there.
  • Reply 77 of 95

Obviously, only 3/4 rate of iOS 7 adoption is a poor sign. I hope inside Apple they will have enough courage to agree that they made a mistake.

When I saw iOS 7 apps icons and interface for the first time, I thought it was a bad joke. It appeared that it wasn't. Now it is evident that problem is even more serious than just poor design. I hope in Apple they are clever enough to accept their mistakes and to make proper decisions.

• Reply 78 of 95
    Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

What?! What does that have to do with the discussion?

As much as your nonsense statement did.

Originally Posted by dragyn427 View Post

I demand

Good for you, bucko. Guess what: 90+% satisfaction, none of the remainder having to do with iOS 6. 

…which will always use the perfectly good iOS 6.

Enjoy your outdated crap. You revoke all right to complain about incompatibility at all points in the future.

Sent from my LC 575, which will always use the “perfectly good” Mac OS 9.2.

Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Only goes to proven that man is a creature of habit

Or that lying, paid morons scream louder than contented masses of users.

Originally Posted by Bao Babus View Post

Obviously, only 3/4 rate of iOS 7 adoption is a poor sign. I hope inside Apple they will have enough courage to agree that they made a mistake.

/s

Phew. Fixed that for you. For a second we almost thought that you believed the lies in your post!

• Reply 79 of 95
    Quote:

Phew. Fixed that for you. For a second we almost thought that you believed the lies in your post!

Well, try to comment on topic instead of trolling, and your opinion maybe will mean something.

• Reply 80 of 95

....(tons of whining snipped)...

Any way you spin this, neither the ethics nor the math add up. Apple is wrong, and while I still like Apple and still plan on buying their products. I cannot in good conscious contradict my cousin. It is one thing for me to gamble with my own purchases, but given how bad Apple supported my cousin and the others who have posted online, I cannot tell my family members to buy Apple without qualm anymore because they will take care of you. Now it is caveat emptor with Apple, just like everyone else.

What are the odds this was a jailbroken iPhone? Above average? Was he a jerk when he went in to see someone at the Apple Store? They don't just leave customers out in the cold, so it looks like you're deliberately not telling the whole story here.