Google to shut down Bump and Flock apps, delete all data

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Another one in a series of trashy, pointless acquisitions by a clueless company.

I wouldn't exactly call it pointless. 

While newer Apple devices do employ Air Drop, which IMO is a more elegant method of sharing files between iOS devices, older ones like the iPhone 4S does not support it. Bump actually filled the gap that Apple left open.

• Reply 22 of 57
    Quote:

No hate at all. Just puzzlement.

Riiiight.

Was Boston Dynamics part of the series of pointless acquisitions?

• Reply 23 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Perhaps. But then there would be no reason to announce a 'closing down.'

I don't think I understand. If there will no longer be a 3rd party "Bump" app I'd thing an announcement to that effect would be proper protocol. When Apple purchases an app developer then chooses to absorb and shut them down as a 3rd party reseller they also make a public announcement. Remember when Apple bought Siri for instance? They even continued offering the Siri app for some time after the sale closed, not unlike Bump. There's numerous examples of Apple buying up smaller developers to roll their expertise into iOS. When Apple bought Catch the same thing happened, users had until a certain date to download any data they wished to save.
  • Reply 24 of 57

I started using bump way back when I had my iPhone 3G. It was great for sharing contact information with people you meet. Lately, it's only been used for transferring pictures to my Mac. Since Apple STILL hasn't implemented AirDrop support between iOS and Mac, it looks like I'll be back to email... C'mon, Apple! And, no... I don't want to use PhotoStream. 

• Reply 25 of 57
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Google adds NFC to their phones, tells everyone it's awesome. People (idiots) start saying "iPhone is doomed unless it gets NFC". NFC sucks so hard that even Google stops bothering 2 years later.

In an attempt to replace NFC, it buys a company who built a sharing app for the iPhone.

Tell us again how NFC is awesome.

• Reply 26 of 57

Funny you should mention NFC. I've had several Android phones over the past couple of years (don't ask): A Galaxy S2, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Sony LT28, Xperia Z, and a few more I forgot. Google Wallet never worked on any of them, but I finally got a phone that it works on: an iPhone! Oh, by the way, all the Android phones totally sucked ass. I just needed an unlocked phone compatible with T-mo and that didn't cost a fortune. So glad I no longer have to deal with that crappy OS, and by the way, I only tried Wallet out of curiosity and deleted it right away ;-)

• Reply 27 of 57
    I just needed an unlocked phone compatible with T-mo and that didn't cost a fortune.
    The Moto G would fit that T-Mo need in just a couple more weeks. Already available for $100 unlocked :wow: on Verizon and Boost Mobile, with the T-Mo version outed and awaiting final FCC approval. May not be what investors want to see but consumers should like it.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't think I understand. If there will no longer be a 3rd party "Bump" app I'd thing an announcement to that effect would be proper protocol. When Apple purchases an app developer then chooses to absorb and shut them down as a 3rd party reseller they also make a public announcement. Remember when Apple bought Siri for instance? They even continued offering the Siri app for some time after the sale closed, not unlike Bump. There's numerous examples of Apple buying up smaller developers to roll their expertise into iOS. When Apple bought Catch the same thing happened, users had until a certain date to download any data they wished to save.

But I don’t recall Apple making an announcement that they’re closing down Siri. (A ‘blog’ post of this sort had to be approved at the highest levels – it is pretty much tantamount to an announcement, unless of course, it’s withdrawn.).

• Reply 29 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Riiiight.

Was Boston Dynamics part of the series of pointless acquisitions?

I have no idea who/what BD is. Why don’t you tell us what it has contributed to Google.

I certainly know that Android and Moto – perhaps their biggest acquisitions thus far -- have been fairly pointless from the standpoint of contributing to the company’s cash flows. Can you present any evidence otherwise?

Incidentally, I did not say anywhere that all of their acquisitions are pointless. I just said, ‘another one in a series’….

• Reply 30 of 57
    But I don’t recall Apple making an announcement that they’re closing down Siri. (A ‘blog’ post of this sort had to be approved at the highest levels – it is pretty much tantamount to an announcement, unless of course, it’s withdrawn.).

Google didn't announce the shuttering either. Bump did. Siri did the same thing sometime after Apple had taken them over.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:

I have no idea who/what BD is. Why don’t you tell us what it has contributed to Google.

Probably taking us closer to Skynet. Likely it's going to help with self-driving vehicles, so you can watch ads instead of drive. Of course you won't get one until it has an 'i' in front of the name.

Quote:

I certainly know that Android and Moto – perhaps their biggest acquisitions thus far -- have been fairly pointless from the standpoint of contributing to the company’s cash flows. Can you present any evidence otherwise?

Yeah, 20% of Google's mobile ad revenue comes from Android, per this site. http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/29/google_earns_80_of_its_mobile_revenue_from_ios_just_20_from_android

• Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:

Probably taking us closer to Skynet. Likely it's going to help with self-driving vehicles, so you can watch ads instead of drive. Of course you won't get one until it has an 'i' in front of the name.

LOL. Skynet? Driverless cars? Let’s talk again in 2035. (You’re probably watching too many movies; get a grip).

“i”? I hate BMW’s iDrive.

• Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:

Yeah, 20% of Google's mobile ad revenue comes from Android, per this site. http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/29/google_earns_80_of_its_mobile_revenue_from_ios_just_20_from_android

As I suspected, you do have serious reading comprehension issues.

Look up Google’s financials to know what its total revenues are, what its mobile revenues are as a proportion of that, and what its Android revenues are as a proportion of mobile revenue. Then calculate a dollar figure. And ask yourself – as honestly as you can – whether it amounts to a hill of beans.

• Reply 34 of 57

Of course you won't get one until it has an 'i' in front of the name.

0. If you're here to crap on Apple, its fans or its customers, you're not long for this forum.

Get out.

• Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:

As I suspected, you do have serious reading comprehension issues.

Look up Google’s financials to know what its total revenues are, what its mobile revenues are as a proportion of that, and what its Android revenues are as a proportion of mobile revenue. Then calculate a dollar figure. And ask yourself – as honestly as you can – whether it amounts to a hill of beans.

Do your own stupid research. You wanted evidence of Android revenue.

• Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:

LOL. Skynet? Driverless cars? Let’s talk again in 2035. (You’re probably watching too many movies; get a grip).

“i”? I hate BMW’s iDrive.

I spoke of plans, not probabilities.

• Reply 37 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Get out.

You're probably right. I own more Apple devices than anything else, but I can't stand one-sided thinking. I'm here to troll.

Out.

• Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:

Do your own stupid research. You wanted evidence of Android revenue.

I asked you for cash flows, not revenues. Do you know the difference?

• Reply 39 of 57

I own more Apple devices than anything else, but

#4: Occasionally preface arguments with "I love Apple, but…" or "As an Apple stockholder…"

Shut up and go away.

• Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google didn't announce the shuttering either. Bump did. Siri did the same thing sometime after Apple had taken them over.

Where does it say it’s ‘closing down’? It says the opposite.

You just proved my point.