LaCie unveils new Apple-focused storage lineup with Wi-Fi, Thunderbolt 2 options

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    My nightmares with LaCie products ended when I ceased purchasing them. I had to have the power supply replaced several times on one Big Disk, and then the logic board failed completely, taking all my data with it.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    All drives eventually fail for one reason or another. Internal drives die, external drives die, external cases die and external power supplies die. I'm sure each of us has our own horror stories and anecdotal evidence that one company or another is worse than the rest. I remember when my company got a bad batch of WD external drives. We lost 4 of them in a month, but others won't use anything but WD.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    What I can't set aside about the LaCie power supply issue is that it went on for so long, ages, with new drives still shipping with bad PS's, long after it was clearly established many people were getting stuck with them. Maybe still for all I know, though I assume not. I stopped paying any attention to them after my two bad power supplies.

I've have drives die on me, sure. Gotten DOAs. But faulty power supplies are a no brainer to remedy at the source. Don't need to question a thousand things about what could have caused a mechanism to crash, including the user. It's a power supply. It doesn't work. If your supplier sends you bad ones get a new supplier. Don't keep packaging the bad ones with your drives.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    When it says the Fuel dive will create its own wifi does that mean a local connect that works independent of any modem/ router setup... Say in a car? If so, buying this with a 16gb model device offers 16 times the storage for the same price as a 64gb model... With the only draw back being a second object to keep in your bag or briefcase.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    180c180c Posts: 7member
    Yes it is using Bluetooth to create a similar thing to airdrop I think.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    I've had plenty of Lacie hard drives, and still do. However, a few years ago, I started buying Seagate drives, as they were cheaper where I was. Well after 3 Seagate's dying, and their usb3 base locking up my Mac constantly, I threw my Seagate's away and went back to Lacie.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnie-bob View Post

I have personally had 2 Lacie power supplies fail on me in 2 drives, and I did have to replace them with $30 replacements from Lacie. That was several years ago, and I decided not to purchase from them again, usually getting drives from OWC (and by the way, OWC has a nice power supply that replaces burned out LaCie supplies here at slightly less cost: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/ELITE4SAUS/). Last week I was reading through some posts at Ric Ford's Macintouch site, and someone there also recently complained about LaCie power supplies failing on them. I think this is not a high frequency event, but it isn't unheard of, and in my case, 2 of the 3 drives I purchased from Lacie failed, high enough for me to say "enough". ymmv….

I'll vouch for experience with failing Lacie power supplies. We lost 4 or 5 of them in a year out of about 7 LaCie.

However, that was a few years back -- so I don't know if they've cleaned up their power supply issue or not.

• Reply 28 of 30
    marubenimarubeni Posts: 334member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jibberj View Post

I've had plenty of Lacie hard drives, and still do. However, a few years ago, I started buying Seagate drives, as they were cheaper where I was. Well after 3 Seagate's dying, and their usb3 base locking up my Mac constantly, I threw my Seagate's away and went back to Lacie.

What will you do in a couple of months when LaCie becomes Seagate :(

• Reply 29 of 30
    Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

What will you do in a couple of months when LaCie becomes Seagate :(

Never buy from them again. Thanks for the heads-up; Seagate is Samsung in my book.

• Reply 30 of 30
    Hello All,

I have neither a Lacie nor a Time Capsule but am leaning towards purchasing a Time Capsule. Christopher126 or anyone who has experience with the Time Capsule, could you please highlight some Pros and Cons for the Time Capsule? Plus, I'd really like to know if we saved data is password protected in the Time Capsule? Also, can data be saved as different users or everything is jumbled together?

Thanks.