Pebble's new $250 Steel smart watch aims for high end of wearable market

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Pebble is targeting the high end of the smart watch market with its latest wrist-worn offering dubbed Steel, sporting a more premium metal look, a scratch-resistant Gorilla Glass face, and access to the all-new Pebble appstore for new watch functions -- coming later this month for $249.

Pebble Steel

Pebble Steel sets out to answer the question, 'Can you wear a smartwatch and not look like a social outcast?' Instead of last year's plastic design, Pebble Steel uses either brushed stainless steel or a black matte finish and is available on a matching bracelet or leather strap.

Pebble Steel also uses a Gorilla Glass crystal in place of the plastic front face of the previous model, making it one of the first watches to ever have the Corning glass.

Pebble Steel works with all existing Pebble watchfaces and apps, but also introduces the Pebble appstore, which will also work with the classic Pebble which raised over $10 million on Kickstarter. Apps are sorted into 6 categories: Daily, Fitness, Remotes, Tools & Utilities, Notifications, and Games.

Pebble Steel

Daily covers the sorts of quick access to stocks, weather and news, Remotes controls home appliances, thermostats and cars, Utilities include currency converters, finding local services and so on.

The use of notifications are particularly interesting, as previously the Pebble watch would use the iOS Notification Center to manage such alerts. But with the upcoming launch of the Pebble appstore, it's possible for app developers to send customized notifications directly from their app to Pebble Steel, meaning app developers can create a more unified experience from phone to wrist.

Pebble has promised to push a firmware update called OS 2.0 to existing Pebble users toward the end of January. The software update will be compatible with SDK 2.0 apps that will be available in the appstore.

Pebble also has been hard at work on creating partnerships, including an alliance with Mercedes Benz. The Mercedes apps allows users to do things like check fuel level, find their car, or control the entertainment system of a Mercedes from their wrist.

Other partnerships highlighted by Pebble include ESPN, Yelp!, GoPro, Foursquare, Pandora, and iControl. iControl covers home automation lighting and alarm systems, where GoPro is a popular iPhone-connected action camera which AppleInsider reviewed last fall.

Pebble app store

Up until now, watch faces could only be designed at a computer, either by a developer or using third-party websites. With the launch of the Pebble appstore, it will become possible to make watch faces on the connected Android or iPhone using Pebble Canvas, an app for the phone.

Pebble Steel retails for $249 USD at getpebble.com, with pre-orders are set to ship January 28. The Pebble appstore should launch for classic Pebble users around the same time.

AppleInsider will be in Las Vegas, Nev., for CES this week, and will be offering full hands-on impressions of the new Pebble Steel lineup, as well as other wearable devices scheduled to be on the show floor. For more, see our ongoing coverage of CES 2014.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member

Huh...no. Just another irrelevant "smart watch" release.

• Reply 2 of 57
    [LEFT]Ugly, the lot of them.[/LEFT]
  • Reply 3 of 57
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Looks good to me. Leagues better than the original geekbait they released.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    Terrible traditional style watches. They need to get past the traditional watch "face" paradigm. These devices are not watches.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Actually, this is the closest to 'non repulsive' that I've yet seen. Decent band and nice watch face. All text screens still look like crap to me.
    I'm thinking that the uptake will happen when the following can be accomplished...
    1) color screen
    2) good resolution
    3) good battery life.

With those 3 in place, these things could actually contribute to tasteful fashion. THAT is what will make people wear them. Nothing else.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

Terrible traditional style watches. They need to get past the traditional watch "face" paradigm. These devices are not watches.

Yup.

• Reply 7 of 57
    I prefer a 6th gen Nano and a watch band.
  • Reply 8 of 57

Loved my 6th gen Nano too, I was often approached by strangers whenever I wore it on my wrist outside.  The most common question was whether I could surf the net BTW!  Just wish there was a Bluetooth option to stream music to headphones, hated the way the cord hung from the wrist to head.

• Reply 9 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Actually, this is the closest to 'non repulsive' that I've yet seen. Decent band and nice watch face. All text screens still look like crap to me.

I'm thinking that the uptake will happen when the following can be accomplished...

1) color screen

2) good resolution

3) good battery life.

With those 3 in place, these things could actually contribute to tasteful fashion. THAT is what will make people wear them. Nothing else.

"Actually, this is the closest to 'non repulsive' that I've yet seen...." Love it.

I think Apple will come out with a futuristic wrap around style. Better than the mock-up that has been pictured so often.

Think about the orig. iPhone compared to that "round" BB that was like holding a cheeseburger up to your ear! :)

Something a young Sig. Weaver would wear with her tight flight suit! Or Tom Cruise's movie-wife in Oblivion would wear while "swimming!"  :)

• Reply 10 of 57
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ingela wrote: »

What do you suggest?
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What do you suggest?

Something a young Sig. Weaver would wear with her tight flight suit! Or Tom Cruise's movie-wife in Oblivion would wear while "swimming!"  :)

• Reply 12 of 57
    Apple is never at CES but whatever is happening there it like apple was also there.
    apparently all this is just to prove that the tech world can never function correctly without Apple.
    Apple is then the king who can't be missed
  • Reply 13 of 57
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Um, wouldn't Pebble OS 2.0 be POS 2.0? Not great PR :-( lol
  • Reply 14 of 57
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Sorry I wasn't paying attention of any watch they might have been wearing. :lol:
  • Reply 15 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Sorry I wasn't paying attention of any watch they might have been wearing. image

Yep, you have to really concentrate to notice! :)

• Reply 16 of 57
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Whatever Apple designs will be better as it will in addition have iOs7 built into it.
    Next.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Cool story, Pebble.

All fun and games until Apple releases theirs - if they even plan to.

• Reply 18 of 57
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Cool story, Pebble.

All fun and games until Apple releases theirs - if they even plan to.

They don't.

• Reply 19 of 57
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Nice chassis improvement, shame they don't seem to have made any major roads with the screen quality, which I think is the biggest problem.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    They don't.

I'll gladly take any bet against someone who doesn't think Apple will eventually release a wearable computer.