Apps no longer differentiator in iOS vs. Android war, services next battleground

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79

Android apps on the tablet front are not close to iOS apps yet. It is conceivable and evenly likely the gap is closing faster and faster. But we are not there yet.

If services are indeed the next battleground, Apple needs to step up its game, which it is doing but only steadily. It needs to improve on Mail, iCloud and Maps. But there is one area that Apple services continue to stand out and that pundits tend not to include when considering services - music and videos. On the music front, it is currently peerless. On the video front, Netflix and Amazon are strong competitors but Google is not. Taken together, Apple is solidly entrenched like no other. This can change, of course; however, as it stands, music and videos keep Apple a leader in the services race. 

• Reply 22 of 79
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jungmark wrote: »
    He's using star ratings as a basis for his "study". Enough said.
    Anything that comes from Piper Jaffray should be ignored.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    About a year ago I compared the ratings of my five favorite apps that I use a lot on both the App Store and Google play. The App Store apps were all basically 5-star ratings while in Google Play they were all 1-star bombs. Naturally I didn't bother with apps I didn't like on the iPhone because those I delete and forget. Still, that killed any chance of considering switching.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhart376 View Post

I think the analyst comes kind of close to the truth but misses the key points.

I think that actual and perceived app differentiation makes a difference for SOME of those buying iPhones. Those "some" are the ones that need some of the unique apps only on iPhone and and also the "some" who like the fact that most apps are first or look more polished on iOS. There are also more corporate apps on iPhone. So Apps still do make a few point of share difference for Apple, but they can't rest on this laurel.

I don't think many people decide based on services like Siri/Now.

I think a big thing missed by the analyst is the bigger ecosystem. If you have a Mac and iPad then the great integration of iWorks along with iTunes etc. really make iPhone the no brainer. Big Gmail users, can lean to better integration on Android.

If you are just looking for price, Android will be a frequent choice. Apple can only win the price battle for people signing up for contracts or those smart enough to understand the resale value generally makes them less expensive over their lifetime.

Apple also wins on design. All their phones just feel better for the client that likes that. Also, the client that just wants the best will generally just perceive Apple to be the brand of choice. On the Android side, lots of technical users will prefer Android due to its customization and their value of the "freedom" of not having to use Apple accessories, etc. They dislike the walled garden and don't mind the complexity.

On the "app" front, I think that iBeacon can be a game changer in 2014. Lots of related apps rolling out and though some Android phones will support it, since all Apple phones since the 4 support BLE, you will see lots more strength for Apple ecosystem here.

Well thought out!

I would add that the M7 (fitness) will be a game changer. I hope Apple can develop it to it's potential. Apple does a lot of things brilliantly, but they do have a tendency to miss the mark now and again. I'm thinking DropBox vs. iCloud and Ping vs. Social Media. 

If Apple doesn't grab it, at least there will be a million apps available.

However, as good as the individual apps are, I do find it a bit of a fragmented experience and they don't all follow the same design cues of Apps made by Apple. E.g., the Nike +GPS App. It's rather well done and Nike does provide frequent upgrades and improvements. But it's not elegant like Pages or Numbers.

As far as "fragmentation," As a runner...

I have to open a flashlight App to get my iPhone flash to strobe (for night running).

I have to open Nike + to start the run.

I have to open the Podcast App to listen to a Podcast.

I have to open a Heart Rate App to check my HR.

I have to open a different App to track my weight loss (~30#'s and counting).

I have to open the weather App to see the temp-Rule of Thumb: Wear an additional layer for every 10 degrees below 60 degrees. (I would love to have the temp in small numbers next to the battery % on my iPhone lock screen or just below the time and date in the middle of the Lock screen.

To be fair, with the Nike+GPS, I don't have to fiddle with a shoe sensor anymore. And a great feature is the App pauses when I stop to tie my shoe or take off a sweatshirt and starts up automatically when I start running again. I know that sounds like a small deal but it is brilliant in practice. I don't have to fumble for the controls on the Apple earbuds. And removing clothing with earbuds on is problematic at best.

Oh, and lastly I have to ignore or "tap" thru/away from all the social media annoyances, Facebook, twitter, etc., etc. Ugh! There should be a blanket, macro setting for all Apps, system wide---"No FaceBook, Twitter..." prompts, floating icons, etc.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

Best.

• Reply 25 of 79
    There's a built-in assumption that the concept of "Top 200 apps" is a normalizing basis.

it's not.

Shoddy work.

Infinity Blade actually scored higher on Android. Spells trouble for Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jim gramze wrote: »
    About a year ago I compared the ratings of my five favorite apps that I use a lot on both the App Store and Google play. The App Store apps were all basically 5-star ratings while in Google Play they were all 1-star bombs. Naturally I didn't bother with apps I didn't like on the iPhone because those I delete and forget. Still, that killed any chance of considering switching.

What about today? How do your top 5 apps fair across each platform?

edit: I just checked 1Password on each. It's has 3.5 stars from 3,158 ratings for Android and 4.0 stars from 3141 ratings for iOS. This is for all versions of iOS and I assume all versions for Android. It also has 5 stars for the current version of iOS from 429 ratings. I guess it's good to get some sort of comparison but I am having trouble seeing how any such measure could be relevant past a particular user's specific criteria.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No, it really doesn't.  For the same reason above:  it's not normalized data and it's not paired data in this case.

In other words, it wasn't the same people reviewing the game on both platforms in a bake-off.

• Reply 28 of 79
    jim gramze wrote: »

You didn't normalize the Android ratings. You have to first multiply the score by 5.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
  • Reply 30 of 79
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Wait, the fake one? Last I heard it didn’t exist for Android, so was this a joke?

• Reply 31 of 79
    Ridiculous study. For example, GG posted a link to an Android music production App with a very high "star" rating in response to my claim Android was useless for audio work. I checked the App out and it was horrible. It was lacking so many basic features that even the worst rated iOS App had. So much for star ratings.

I'll have to find that thread as it's suddenly relevant.

They'll just attack from another angle. I'm expecting some Fandroid to claim that Apple users have lower standards or whatever because they're not 1337.
  • Reply 32 of 79

Wait, the fake one? Last I heard it didn’t exist for Android, so was this a joke?

Yes.
    Somebody is paying close attention.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Android apps on the tablet front are not close to iOS apps yet. It is conceivable and evenly likely the gap is closing faster and faster. But we are not there yet.

No they're not and rightly so. No one single android tablet has been able to distinguish itself from the others nor sells in any impressive amounts.
  • Reply 34 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Munster sees 2014 as an opportunity for Apple to launch a "game changing" service in a payments platform unique to iOS, but stops short in detailing possible plans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

He's using star ratings as a basis for his "study". Enough said.

By "he" are you referring to Gene Munster (a/k/a Genius Munster to his peeps)? Is this the same guy (analyst) that has wrongly predicted a large-screen category-changing super-thin Apple-originated flat-screen TV…for the past 3 years?

• Reply 35 of 79

They will still have much conversation about this. Most people are Tech and IOS or Andriod is what they want.

• Reply 36 of 79
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Complete flamebait. This is what "journalism" is these days - some asshat with no research methodology worth a crap that spouts bullshit and is proclaimed by the corporate press as someone with something worthy to say.

Fake Steve Jobs pegged this clown right - he made Gene look like Eddie Munster.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    Gene...Gene...You poor deluded fool.
  • Reply 38 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Most of the "analysts" who weigh in on tech issues don't even seem to grasp the fundamental concepts of their own business. I would have no expectation that they would understand statistical analysis.

Oh, they have an excellent grasp of the fundamental concepts of their own business.  It is based on "A fool and his money are soon parted."

• Reply 39 of 79
    Munster's crystal ball rarely produces accurate prognostications.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    Munster's crystal ball rarely produces accurate prognostications.

Broken clock is right twice a day?