Apple releases third beta of iOS 7.1 with iCloud, audiobook fixes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I wonder how much that website gets constructive feedback vs venting vs "Boy-Apple-has-gone-downhill-since-Steve-died" type of replies.

My feedback is always of the constructive variety. The more important question is whether Apple takes any of it seriously or suffers from "not invented here" and sheer arrogance. Look at the GUI in iOS 7. Then again, this GUI wasn't really invented at Apple since it looks like Android and Win 8...
  • Reply 22 of 35
    How about fixing the application management mess that is iOS 7?! When you get 100s of applications, there is no good way to find and delete apps, much less auto-sort them into folders based on type. This along with lack of document management to me are the BIGGEST iOS weaknesses!
  • Reply 23 of 35
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

How about fixing the application management mess that is iOS 7?! When you get 100s of applications, there is no good way to find and delete apps, much less auto-sort them into folders based on type. This along with lack of document management to me are the BIGGEST iOS weaknesses!

We had this in iOS 6? If we did I certainly missed it.

• Reply 24 of 35
    I hope they fix the UI for unlocking your phone, the glow effect is too long and it becomes easy for anyone who's casually looking at your phone to figure it out. Really annoying!

I also wish they'd do something about the video player's UI, and the retarded iPad's calendar UI. Whoever thought that creating small month labels and fading them in and out is a good idea?

I am not a big fan of skeuomorphism; however, I preferred the clarity of the previous UI compared to this overly subtle UI which is closer to looking like a mistake than a feature. Like scrolling through the SMS messages, that's not a bouncing effect, or is it?
    Agree to all of the above - ESPECIALLY why do I have to unlock my iPhone 5s to access the "End Call" button when someone called me (also the sensor seems to always take 2 or 3 tries when I need it to work quickly).

The whole iOS7 design is prettier, but less efficient. The colors are so muted and the contrasts so light that I need to do way more reading instead of quick glancing to navigate now.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    I've been using iOS 7 with my Retina iPad (3rd gen) and it keeps crashing multiple times daily, supposedly due to memory leaks. When I say crash, I mean it goes back to the black screen with a white Apple logo. The iPhone 4S was also a crash-worthy candidate, but really not as bad as the 3rd gen iPad.

Anyone know if that will fix problems with older gen iPads?
  • Reply 26 of 35
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

This better darn well fix (insert favorite pet peeve, issue that only I have, feature I need to function in life, Android feature they’ve had for years) or I’m dumping Apple. Don’t they test this stuff? Apple’s QA has gone south since Steve died. I might just buy a Galaxy over this.

¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Understood and LOL, but seriously, this one really is bad, isn't it? I'm sure some of it is due to my clinging to old technology (for reasons that are outside the scope of discussion in this thread I'm still using an iP4) but others with new hardware have trouble too so that can't be the only issue.

This OS has REALLY slowed down my ol' 4 to the point that I sometimes get pissed off and want to stomp on it. I could accept that *IF* Apple gave me a way to back out and go back to the way it was before (it was fine with iOS6) but they refuse. Bad Apple.

Then there's stuff that was screwed in iOS5, became unscrewed in iOS6, and has now been rescrewed and WORSENED in iOS7, like the handling of TV episodes from sources other than the iTunes store. Under iOS7, the word "metadata" seems to be defined as "confused bubble pickle random mukluk purple monkey dishwasher."

Quote:

Originally Posted by k2director View Post

I hope it fixes all the crashes I get in Safari. 

From your keys to Apple's eyes. What have they done to make such a fundamental tool so unreliable?

With the utterly bizarre interactions I've experienced between Calendar, Contacts, and Maps across iOS7 and Mavericks I honestly don't trust my iPhone at all for anything anymore. I just always assume that any result it spews is at best extremely suspect and at worst completely random. It's now just a voice and SMS device (the latter being fine as long as we don't get the desktop Messages app involved, in which case we open a whole NEW game of random drop-and-reorder!).

• Reply 27 of 35
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Im really enjoying 7, can't wait to see what turn 8 is going to take.
    Apple definitely needs to fix Safari. The constant crashes are not acceptable.

With some of these UI changes it seems clear that Apple did start with a blank slate in a way and are slowly adding things back (probably realizing they went too far). Some people are complaining about the circles on the call screen but I actually prefer them. To me it's more consistent. The large round rectangles always seemed off to me. As far as the hit target, well the call screen and lock screen use the same circles. I unlock my iPhone 5 dozens of times in day and never have any issues with it. iOS 8 will definitely be interesting. I'm hoping iPad gets the love this year.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Understood and LOL, but seriously, this one really is bad, isn't it? I'm sure some of it is due to my clinging to old technology (for reasons that are outside the scope of discussion in this thread I'm still using an iP4) but others with new hardware have trouble too so that can't be the only issue.

This OS has REALLY slowed down my ol' 4 to the point that I sometimes get pissed off and want to stomp on it. I could accept that *IF* Apple gave me a way to back out and go back to the way it was before (it was fine with iOS6) but they refuse. Bad Apple.

Then there's stuff that was screwed in iOS5, became unscrewed in iOS6, and has now been rescrewed and WORSENED in iOS7, like the handling of TV episodes from sources other than the iTunes store. Under iOS7, the word "metadata" seems to be defined as "confused bubble pickle random mukluk purple monkey dishwasher."

From your keys to Apple's eyes. What have they done to make such a fundamental tool so unreliable?

With the utterly bizarre interactions I've experienced between Calendar, Contacts, and Maps across iOS7 and Mavericks I honestly don't trust my iPhone at all for anything anymore. I just always assume that any result it spews is at best extremely suspect and at worst completely random. It's now just a voice and SMS device (the latter being fine as long as we don't get the desktop Messages app involved, in which case we open a whole NEW game of random drop-and-reorder!).

Baloney. I run iOS 7 on an iPad 2. No issues. None! Faster than iOS 6. Battery life just as good. Safari NEVER crashes. You can argue all you want over aesthetics, UI appearance, icon colors, etc. but to call iOS 7 “really bad” in terms of performance is just not reality. Try learning how to actually operate and troubleshoot your iPad 4 instead of blaming Apple for things you can probably correct yourself. A hosed installation does not mean the operating system is bad. You are entitled to your opinion but you are dead wrong on this, period.

• Reply 29 of 35
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Baloney. I run iOS 7 on an iPad 2. No issues. None!

Well yay for you. I assume you produce videos for several different series and load multiple episodes of each on your iDevice for proofing and showing clients? Oh, you don't? Then what the funk do YOU know about how iOS7 handles TV shows from sources outside the iTunes store?

You've never had Safari just completely freeze up and refuse to open ANY page without a reboot? If that's what you claim you either use Safari very, very little or you're dropping a little white one.

Install iOS7 on an old device. Start it up. Select ANY standard Apple App that's part of the stock OS install. Wait anywhere from three to ten seconds before you can do anything. Tell me it doesn't make you want to crush the piece of stuff under your heel after a while. It didn't do that with iOS5 or iOS6. 7 Broke it. I wouldn't care if they'd let me go back, but they won't. Bad Apple.

Look, I'm honestly happy for you that your experience has been trouble free, but to use that experience to insist that anyone who has a problem is "doing it wrong" is insulting and narrow minded.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You are entitled to your opinion but you are dead wrong on this, period.

No, you just haven't encountered the particular issues that are bringing my phone to its knees and thus assume that you know more than I do. Bad assumption. Despite the bizarre, random nature of the problems, they are obvious to anyone who looks. I am absolutely, unequivocally RIGHT on this, period. Don't weigh in on things you know nothing about.

• Reply 30 of 35

Saw the new improved UI elements on another site...  Slowly, Apple is making iOS7 less of a visual disaster.  Still has a long ways to go, but they are working on it.  Surprising that it has taken them this long to get to what should have been an internal beta.

• Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Baloney. I run iOS 7 on an iPad 2. No issues. None! Faster than iOS 6. Battery life just as good. Safari NEVER crashes. You can argue all you want over aesthetics, UI appearance, icon colors, etc. but to call iOS 7 “really bad” in terms of performance is just not reality. Try learning how to actually operate and troubleshoot your iPad 4 instead of blaming Apple for things you can probably correct yourself. A hosed installation does not mean the operating system is bad. You are entitled to your opinion but you are dead wrong on this, period.

You made a bad assumption - the original poster was talking about an iPHONE 4, not iPad 4. And the original poster is right, the performance on iPhone 4 is miserable. Slow, crashy, essentially unusable. 

• Reply 32 of 35

I upgraded from iOS 7.0.4, and lost all pictures. However contacts were partially retained and no settings were retained or restored via iCloud. Had to reinstall apps and such manually. Is there something I can do to retrieve the pictures?

• Reply 33 of 35
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    sbxsea wrote: »
    I upgraded from iOS 7.0.4, and lost all pictures. However contacts were partially retained and no settings were retained or restored via iCloud. Had to reinstall apps and such manually. Is there something I can do to retrieve the pictures?

The last 1,000 that are on your Camera Roll are being synced to Photostream, by default. Unless you have that turned off.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    nikilok wrote: »
    Anyone here experience occassional reebots of the iPhone 5S running iOS 7 ?
    A friend of mine said he experienced such reeboots from time to time.
    Hope 7.1 irons all such stuff..

Yes, on an iPhone 5.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    aelegg wrote: »
    I know this isn't a support forum, so please ignore if it shouldn't be here, but my Contacts keep disappearing from my 4S using iOS7. 
    All disappear except 3 or 4 (perhaps ones MADE on the phone itself?).

I don't need contacts every minute so it's minor annoyance, so I let it drag on sometimes. 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Sometimes they re-appear on their own (WiFi Sync from iCloud while at home, perhaps involving iMac, I think).</p>

<p style="margin-left:40px;">

Sometimes I dig deep into my phone's Settings "looking" for something to do with Contacts.  Then I sometimes find an entry that "shows" them, and they're back.</p>

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> </p>

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Right now they're staying "gone" a little longer than usual, and I can't find that magic location in Settings where they reappear.</p>

I know this isn't an "actionable" story.

1st Last bit:  My iCloud storage keeps claiming "full".  I don't mind that either for now, but didn't think it would impair Contacts-Syncing.
    2nd Last bit:  I use the Clear list-management app which syncs to my other iOS devices (using cell data).  That iCloud setting keeps getting turned off and it complains that it can't update.  That usually takes "fooling-with" right in Clear.

I couldn't resist posting my story.  My apologies to all.

Re iCloud full: yes, my iPad 2 does that too from time to time. Check the backups for each app; I find that iCloud turns them all on, so I turn off the largest ones to save space.