Hands-on: Kyte&Key braided leather & aluminum Apple-certified Lightning cables

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2015
Kyte&Key is the manufacturer of premium, Apple-approved Lightning cables featuring unique construction crafted out of braided leather and aluminum. AppleInsider offers a closer look at their products from the floor of this year's Consumer Electronics Show.

Cabelet

The company's premium products are truly one-of-a-kind: They're the only Made for iPod, iPhone and iPad licensee that Apple has approved to use anything other than plastic on its cable accessories.

The company's flagship product is the Cabelet, which is also wearable as a bracelet in sizes of small, medium, and large, so you can be sure to have a USB-to-Lightning charger on you at all times. The leather-covered cable comes in white braid with silver buckle, a white perforated over black, black braid leather with black buckle, and orange with brass buckle.

Cabelet

Showcasing this product at CES is a wise move: Here, charging an iPhone can be difficult if you don't happen to have a Lightning cable on you. Kyte&Key's wearable Cabelet is a nice-looking bracelet that means you'll always have your Lightning cable handy.

In addition to Apple's Lightning standard, Kyte&Key also offers a version of the Cabelet with Micro USB connectivity for non-Apple smartphones, tablets and other devices.

Cabelet

Kyte&Key is also set to offer a longer, non-bracelet version of its cable with woodgrain accents on the connector overmold. There's also an accompanying USB car charger bundled with the longer cable that will come with woodgrain on the end.

Frankly, cables are simple thing we normally wouldn't pay attention to, but when made using the very best materials and solving the awful problem of cables ending up in knots, this product manages to rise above the crowd.

Cabelet

The Kyte&Key Braided Lightning Cabelet is available for purchase direct from Apple for $69.95 in three colors: black, white and orange. Those colors, as well as a fourth brown option, can be purchased from the official Kyte&Key website. There's also a cloth-wrapped version the company is set to begin selling for $49.

The longer Lightning-to-USB cable and accompanying car adapter is set to launch late this year at a price of $99.

Cabelet

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'll be surprised if even one person who reads this site will find this product worth buying.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member

Actually, I find this product really cool, and would actually buy it, but for the fact that it's a bit outside my budget. Additionally, I think the thick connector section to be unbeautiful. Nonetheless, on first seeing the image I thought "that's exactly something I've been looking for!" But after a further look it's not quite there yet.

At the end of the day, however, I am very appreciative of the fact AppleInsider decided to post about it, because I never would have seen it otherwise.

Edit: On second thoughts, this one in particular looks really nice. Hmm, I might have to think about these some more.

• Reply 3 of 17
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

but why.... really we need a cable that is now jewelry and they call it a wearable, this is definitely for people who have more money than brains

• Reply 4 of 17
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

At Picture 1...you had me.

At Picture 3...you lost me.

At $69.95...i lost my lunch.

• Reply 5 of 17
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

At Picture 1...you had me.

At Picture 3...you lost me.

At $69.95...i lost my lunch.

This.

• Reply 6 of 17
    I like the idea. at up to $40 I would get the leather one in an instant $70 makes me pause.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    but why.... really we need a cable that is now jewelry and they call it a wearable, this is definitely for people who have more money than brains

I have nothing against jewelry I'd never buy or fancy cables I'd never consider, but having animals sacrificed for the privilege is something else.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I'd be surprised to learn that any animals were sacrificed specifically for this item.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordon Schultz View Post

I'd be surprised to learn that any animals were sacrificed specifically for this item.

Cattle are killed specifically for their meat but no one holds up a burger and says that an animal was killed specifically for that burger.

Animals are specifically killed for their hides to sell leather to product makers.  

• Reply 10 of 17
    marubenimarubeni Posts: 334member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

I have nothing against jewelry I'd never buy or fancy cables I'd never consider, but having animals sacrificed for the privilege is something else.

I feel your pain, but I am pretty sure one cow pretty much covers ever cabelet ever sold. And just to confirm (I am not being sarcastic): you are vegan and don't wear shoes with any leather in them, and have mice in your house, and no animal was harmed while said house was built, and you don't fly on airplanes because many geese are killed by them, nor on trains (or cars) for the same reason. If all of the above are true, props to you.

• Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

I feel your pain, but I am pretty sure one cow pretty much covers ever cabelet ever sold. 

My thoughts exactly.

• Reply 12 of 17
    Make it a darker color, even black. Make it wider and maybe thicker so that it can serve as a wrist band for a "smart watch". $70 is a mite high for it as is, but maybe with a few tweaks.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

I feel your pain, but I am pretty sure one cow pretty much covers ever cabelet ever sold. And just to confirm (I am not being sarcastic): you are vegan and don't wear shoes with any leather in them, and have mice in your house, and no animal was harmed while said house was built, and you don't fly on airplanes because many geese are killed by them, nor on trains (or cars) for the same reason. If all of the above are true, props to you.

Actually I'm not a vegan but am vegetarian, and try to not purchase anything with leather though I have no need to remove it from my surroundings or avoid establishments with leather chairs.  We don't have mice because of the cats and of we did I'd catch them and toss them into the park, and the rest would not be the case.

For me it's not a grand philosophical book of rules, just a personal outlook that I'm comfortable having.  Didn't start until I was in my 20's (in the '70's) and the spark was walking by the restaurants in Chinatown with their window displays.  Began with just grossed out and it gradually grew into feeling like the way I wanted to view other aspects of it aside from eating.  

But I'm not a zealot.  It's only an outlook on how one chooses to aim their life.  If you don't do it 100% it doesn't make it any less valid.   A vegetarian or vegan is not the same as a PETA member.   I have loads of relatives who hunt and kill.  Just isn't me.  Also know many who are vegetarians but don't take it beyond the food they eat, but that doesn't negate it.

Cheers,

J

• Reply 14 of 17
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Make it a darker color, even black. Make it wider and maybe thicker...

What's going on here?¡
  • Reply 15 of 17

I received one as a gift and when I know I'll be without a bag & power I've thrown it on my wrist, super convenient and looks like a less technical leather bracelet. When I'm not wearing it, it lives in my briefcase. Cool product.

• Reply 16 of 17

I see a hand (a very hairy hand) and I see that thing is attached to it! Then what?? Does it work? Any issue? Does it fall off all the time like reviewers bitching on Apple Store site?!!

• Reply 17 of 17

I just picked one up at Marshalls of all stores...

For $16 I figured I'll give it a shot. Works pretty well! Charges at a similar pace to the factory cord. Plus I got compliments on it from a few people. Now what would really make it worth the money (new ones are $100 and up) would be if they could incorporate some external battery into the clasp part somehow. Maybe it would only add 50% or something to your phone's battery but that would be AMAZING!