Google Play Movies & TV now available for iOS

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Delete
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Well, that's one way of circumventing the 30% cut.

I thought you couldn’t redirect to your website. So is Apple gonna pull it?

• Reply 43 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Did you look to see if the app is redirecting to Google Play?
  • Reply 44 of 48
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Well, that's one way of circumventing the 30% cut.</span>

I don't think so because they're not using any Apple resources: it merely links through and the video's get watched over the users Internet connection. End to end, there's no Apple involved. Besides, why was the app approved? Probably because of this reason.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

It doesn't seem like it redirects the user, it says they can only view what they've already purchased.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsm View Post

Curious. Why would Apple even let these Apps hit the App Store?

You can't buy Kroger gift cards at walmart and vice versa.

Why even give the enemy a place on your shelf when he wants to beat you? Makes no sense.

Why not? The experience is clunky and inferior. Makes Apple's media store seem like magic. Besides, this makes it easier for people to switch from Android to iOS. iOS users are kinda stuck with their OS unless they want to give up all of the TV shows and movies they bought using iTunes. So, basically it encourages people to switch to iOS while retaining existing customers. Also, Google is in an underdog position right now. It is in their best interest to get their content on as many devices as possible (especially iOS devices given their tendency to purchase more content than Android users). Apple was in a similar position when the iPod first came out. Didn't take them long to make a Windows version of iTunes.

• Reply 47 of 48
    I don't understand why so many seem so belligerent about this product. Personally I appreciate that Apple has made iOS so 'open' to basically all comers. I have and use a variety of apps for reading ebooks on my iPad. Same thing for video content. I was quite happy that there is an app (from Amazon) for viewing Amazon Prime media and, of course, it can be tossed over to Apple TV for viewing on the big screen.

If I have a problem with Apple Maps, I can switch to Google Maps on my iPad with a few quick gestures(and vice versa). This is a feature, not a problem. I'm glad these huge companies are in intense competition. But the only side I choose is the product that works best. Right now that is the iPad (and iPod touch, MacBook Pro, and Apple TV).