Microsoft considering Ericsson CEO to replace Steve Ballmer

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    I worked for Ericsson, they are one of the most misguided tech companies out there. They invest heavily in horrible, doomed, ideas. Only job I ever quit; I didn't want to go down on that sinking ship.

Seems like a perfect fit for Microsoft.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Is Léo Apotheker available? :D
  • Reply 23 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Emes View Post

Yet another useless article that has nothing to Apple, designed only to feed the trolls and spawn MS hate

Spawn?

No. No. A lot of us went through the 80s and 90s... we have a long history of hating Microsoft.

• Reply 24 of 56
    A lot of us went through the 80s and 90s... we have a long history of hating Microsoft.

1) LOL
    2) Sad
    3) Feeling empathy
  • Reply 25 of 56

Not enough sweat on his shirt.

• Reply 26 of 56
    Perhaps Microsoft is waiting for Marissa Mayer to become available? Shouldn't be much longer...
    -eb
  • Reply 27 of 56
    shompa wrote: »
    They have zero good product that consumers buy with their free will.

So Microsoft is putting a gun to people's heads and forcing them to buy an X-Box?
  • Reply 28 of 56
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Maybe I should send him the book.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/37364/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I know, I paid too much.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Maybe I should send him the book.

I know, I paid too much.

Did the "Interactive CD" create the bsd on your computer?

• Reply 30 of 56

http://www.nextmicrosoftceo.com/

Vote for your fav! :)

• Reply 31 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tbehunin View Post

http://www.nextmicrosoftceo.com/

Vote for your fav! :)

Richard Stallman is in second place. Har!

Cast your votes for RMS!

• Reply 32 of 56

I have also read several comments from usually reliable sources that Gates plans to take a more active role at Microsoft.  That sounds like he will be taking a more day to day decision making role than the chairmanship usually involves.  In that case it would appear that he's looking for a puppet/fall guy.  Of the people currently under discussion, and with the little I know about them, Stephen Elop would appear to be the best for that role.

• Reply 33 of 56
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Why do you think he's no better than Baller? Which were bad calls while on the clock? I'm not familiar with this CEO.

simple look at the company he is coming from, they have lots of the same issue as M$ has. M$ needs and I hate to say this, 2 CEO, on who can manage the cash cow, and another to think about the future and move them forward. That will not happen, they will keep trying to find a person who is already a CEO and give him/her the job and hope they can fix it. Most likely you will see more than one CEO in the next 5 yrs.

• Reply 34 of 56
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shompa View Post

The irony...

Ericsson was in 1997 the worlds biggest cellphone company. They where the biggest base station company. Over 140000 employees.

Then Ericsson hired ex Microsoft Rolf Skoglund as their IT officer. Until then every single worker had a Unix workstation or a diskless client/Xserve. This could not MSFT "ex" boss handle. He instituted "Ericsson system office environment". Everyone should have a PC with Exchange.

To make a long story short: You can't develop new phones in Excel. Clippy can't design new base stations. The Unix purge. Swap a working environment against a non working MSFT environment. Phones where delayed. Base stations where delayed. Productivity went down. IT cost skyrocketed. They needed 1 PC support per 10PCs compare to 1 Unix support /150 WS.

In just 5 years the share price went from 270SEK to 3SEK. All thanks to MSFT. Today Ericsson have exited the mobile phone business.

Nokia copied every single misstake that Ericsson did.

So the irony is that Ericsson takes over MSFT. MSFT destroyed Ericsson. Now maybe we can destroy MSFT.

Because we can't save MSFT. They have zero good product that consumers buy with their free will.

Solution is to make great products, something that is against the DNA of MSFT. MSFT lives in an "upgrade" world. Make stuff bad enough that people want to upgrade every 24 month.

How to make great products:

1) Start windows from scratch. BSD/Unix open source foundation with a windows interface over it so that they can "copyright" it.

2) Take control over ARM RT. Fix development tools for FAT binaries so that stuff can use both X86 and ARM. License "rosetta" to run X86 code on ARM.

3) Get an ARM license and develop custom ARM cores. Look at the OS and what it needs and put it into the ARM core that you control.

4) Agressive pricing on WinRT. F the OEMs. Sell Surface for 199 dollars and make money from apps.

Hire Ivy as designer and Forestal as CEO and MSFT would be BETTER then Apple.

(Apple fans/people who have been in MSFT research labs have said that MSFT is todays Apple. But MSFT are not allowed to release the stuff because of OEMs and that they would kill their own customers. MSFT needs to get an Apple attitude and kill its owns product lines like Iphone did with iPod.)

I will add to this story, Motorola was Unix workstation company, and one of the very first company to deploy Mac across the company and they got a new IT person who ripped out all the Mac and Unix work stations and replacement with PC, and we now know the story of Motorola who was the inventory of Cell phone communications in the US.

I bet is someone spent the time and look at what M$ cost companies in real $ and lost opportunities people would be surprise that is for sure. Most PC IT people I know hate Apple since they know their job would be gone if the company deployed Macs.

• Reply 35 of 56
    How about one of these guys? Both have plenty of recent experience harassing Apple. Should be all the qualification MS needs.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/37366/width/200/height/400[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/37367/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emes View Post

Yet another useless article that has nothing to Apple, designed only to feed the trolls and spawn MS hate

There is a magazine you might not have heard of called the "New Yorker."  They print many articles which have nothing to do with New York.  The current edition even has a cover story on the governor of New Jersey, if you can believe that!  You should explain to them clearly the rules of permissible publishing based on the magazine name.  And don't get me started about the "Atlantic Monthly."

• Reply 37 of 56
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    And they think this guy is going to be any better!!! I think M$ has just transition to an era of revolving doors of CEOs

I can't imagine anyone doing any worse.

rogifan wrote: »
    Wow Gates and Ballmer sure didn't do a very good job of succession planning.

Apple did a great job of it and they get attacked because Tim Cook isn't literally a cline of Steve Jobs. You simply can't grow a clone faster than the aging process without using a ysalamiri*.

* Very osbcure reference
  • Reply 38 of 56
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mountain king View Post

There is a magazine you might not have heard of called the "New Yorker."  They print many articles which have nothing to do with New York.  The current edition even has a cover story on the governor of New Jersey, if you can believe that!  You should explain to them clearly the rules of permissible publishing based on the magazine name.  And don't get me started about the "Atlantic Monthly."

Except the New Yorker does not claim to provide "New York news and rumors since 1997"

• Reply 39 of 56
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Why do you think he's no better than Baller? Which were bad calls while on the clock? I'm not familiar with this CEO.
    simple look at the company he is coming from, they have lots of the same issue as M$ has. M$ needs and I hate to say this, 2 CEO, on who can manage the cash cow, and another to think about the future and move them forward. That will not happen, they will keep trying to find a person who is already a CEO and give him/her the job and hope they can fix it. Most likely you will see more than one CEO in the next 5 yrs.

Good point. And if they stick with the old 'one CEO formula' they'll most likely get a Sales/Finance person who isn't a visionary or anything like that. This way they will keep on selling licenses to the large corporations, and probably remain in business for the next generation, but nothing great will come from them. Oh well.
    I bet is someone spent the time and look at what M$ cost companies in real $ and lost opportunities people would be surprise that is for sure. Most PC IT people I know hate Apple since they know their job would be gone if the company deployed Macs.

This is discussed many times and in great detail at large companies. Still they won't change over because of the initial cost and 'change is freightening'. Sad.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Wow! An interactive CD-ROM! That’s Jurassic Park levels of spared no expense!

Also, it’s “the road ahead”, but the pictures shows what’s behind him. The photographer’s standing on the edge of a cliff, terrified.