Photos: Customers line up for long-awaited China Mobile launch of Apple's iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Did they "gain access" to the iPhone, or did the iPhone gain access to them?
  • Reply 22 of 35
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member
    New York Times is pathetic. Retraction coming? Probably not
  • Reply 23 of 35

That NYT article is the BIGGEST CROCK OF SHIT LIES I have read in a while! Why do I say this? LOOK AT THE PHOTOS BEING TAKEN FROM THE MASSIVE LINES!!! The iPhone launch on CM is a huge success, and TONS of people are lining up by the droves to get one!

One of the photos really makes me giggle, where there's a CM outlet with a massive lineup, right next to a deserted Samsung outlet LOL!

• Reply 24 of 35

LOL.... Looks like Wall Street agrees with the NYT... AAPL down 9.07...

• Reply 25 of 35

I think the NYT article is a little more realistic, all of the pictures from twitter/instagram/etc are mostly unconfirmed and speculative (especially the one of a long line outside of who knows where and who knows when).

To be honest, I'm not sure why lines should be expected at all.

1) The iPhone 5S has been been available for months on other carriers

2) China Mobile's pricing doesn't seem to be as competitive

3) China Mobile's LTE network isn't even close to being rolled out

The only reason anyone would show up is to see Tim Cook and CM's CEO.

Am I missing something?

• Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dstarsboy View Post

I think the NYT article is a little more realistic, all of the pictures from twitter/instagram/etc are mostly unconfirmed and speculative (especially the one of a long line outside of who knows where and who knows when).

Am I missing something?

4) CM sales of the iPhone were pre-sold via reservation system

• Reply 27 of 35
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstarsboy View Post

Am I missing something?

You missed on thing.  CM has over 600 million customers.  A 600 people line is only 0.0001% of its customers. 

• Reply 28 of 35
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mvigod wrote: »
    New York Times is pathetic. Retraction coming? Probably not

Highly unlikely, Sammy doesn't pay for retractions. Even if the NYT did, it'll be on page 30 of section J.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    mervynyan wrote: »
    There are iPhones via other carriers, not exclusive deal. why excitement? I read somewhere Asian and the rest of world prefer bigger screen, that is why Samsung and others are gaining ground so fast. Of course price is an issue too.

Welcome back to the world, Rip Van Winkle, a lot's happened since you and Steve Ballmer fell asleep a dozen years ago!
  • Reply 30 of 35
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

You missed on thing.  CM has over 600 million customers.  A 600 people line is only 0.0001% of its customers. 

And a 7,632,960 person line would be only 1%. Probably why they do reservations eh?

From their webpage:      
    As of 30 Nov, 2013 Customer Base ( in thousands )
    Total Customers 763,296
  • Reply 31 of 35
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

That NYT article is the BIGGEST CROCK OF SHIT LIES I have read in a while! Why do I say this? LOOK AT THE PHOTOS BEING TAKEN FROM THE MASSIVE LINES!!! The iPhone launch on CM is a huge success, and TONS of people are lining up by the droves to get one!

One of the photos really makes me giggle, where there's a CM outlet with a massive lineup, right next to a deserted Samsung outlet LOL!

The NYT is dying as most newspapers are. They can't afford to send reporters to even one CM, China location.

Of course CM controlled the crowd push where those Apple and CM execs were.

Also I read the iPhones at CM were preordered and the buyers were given a time to arrive for pickup.

Nothing like a NYC iPhone roll out zoo, where many sit out all night to get the first iPhone

and many were street people buying for cash

then only  getting pennies  to turn them over to buyers making a kiling selling them in China.

• Reply 32 of 35
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mervynyan View Post

There are iPhones via other carriers, not exclusive deal. why excitement? I read somewhere Asian and the rest of world prefer bigger screen, that is why Samsung and others are gaining ground so fast. Of course price is an issue too.

The Samsung slightly larger screen is of little advantage. The disadvantage is holding it and slipping it into a small pocket.

It just takes a slight effort to rotate the iPhone screen 90°.

Apple was smart to just add a bit of length to the iPhone5, it still fits smaller hands easily.

In my traveIs frequently see ladies (mostly Korean) holding the larger Samsung phones with two hands.

Yes the Samsung and other phones are often being sold at a lower down payment.

In fact for some other phones they pay you to take them off their hands- $0 down with a credit.

• Reply 33 of 35
    A muted beginning to sales of Apple's iPhone through China Mobile.

By Eric P Fanner Jan 17, 2014. The New York Times.

"A hint of the challenges was apparent on Friday, when customers were finally able to buy iPhones from China Mobile. At a store in Beijing, only about a dozen customers showed up to buy iPhones, despite the appearance of Timothy D. Cook, Apple%u2019s chief executive. It was a far cry from the long lines that usually accompany a big introduction in the United States"

How on earth that The New York Times publish the untrue article of Mr Eric P Fanner?
    We wait the apology letter from The NYT.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Understand the TIMES cultural history. Their hatred for Apple as a long-time symbol of counter-culture is only surpassed by Cold Warrior hatred of China.

It's a twofer for editorial policy.