Google's smart contact lens tracks glucose levels for diabetics

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    I wonder who the heck would be crazy enough to stick this thing in their eyes?
  • Reply 62 of 70

This is actually the first Google product I read about which I felt was pretty cool. It may not make it to the market in its current form but I think you need to try something out to know whether it works or not.

For every 'Yes' there are a thousand 'No's. It looks like Apple hides all the 'No's but Google wears them all like proud badges. And the public is eating it up.

EDIT: Of course, Google has to first admit the 'No'.

• Reply 63 of 70

Kudos Google; ads or some kind of subliminal messages directly to the brain.

• Reply 64 of 70
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    This is actually the first Google product I read about which I felt was pretty cool. It may not make it to the market in its current form but I think you need to try something out to know whether it works or not.

For every 'Yes' there are a thousand 'No's. It looks like Apple hides all the 'No's but Google wears them all like proud badges. And the public is eating it up.

EDIT: Of course, Google has to first admit the 'No'.

Until you realize how many diabetics can wear contacts, how many can afford this "solution", how can these be mass marketed/mass produced.
  • Reply 65 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Until you realize how many diabetics can wear contacts, how many can afford this "solution", how can these be mass marketed/mass produced.

Hence my statement 'It may not make it to the market in its current form'.

Maybe I should also add 'or not at all'. It could very well be something that has caught Google's fancy for now but as usual, they may not see it all the way through. As easy as it is to release software and services with a 'Beta' tag, stuff like this has to thankfully go through a lot of channels before it becomes a viable product.

• Reply 66 of 70
    Hence my statement 'It may not make it to the market in its current form'.

Maybe I should also add 'or not at all'. It could very well be something that has caught Google's fancy for now but as usual, they may not see it all the way through. As easy as it is to release software and services with a 'Beta' tag, stuff like this has to thankfully go through a lot of channels before it becomes a viable product.
    But why even start at a very limited form except to get good PR?
  • Reply 67 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Your post reads like a desperate attempt to prove that Apple is collusion with 9to5Mac. I imagine you were hoping to plant your theory in order to somehow taint the view that folk have on Apple's involvement.

So let's try this for an unproven theory:

This line of Google research is a bizarre idea for the reason that mstone highlighted: diabetics are advised not to wear contact lenses. So why is Google doing it? Because they've learned that the trick to getting people to accept something unpalatable is by dressing it in something a little less unsavoury.

People, in general, don't like Google Glass. They think the whole idea is creepy and the folk who wear them are creepier still. That is the perception. So how do you get around this perception? If you're Google then you do it sneakily.

You carry on improving the tech, but you disguise it as medical research : "Leave us alone goddammit! We're trying to help people here!"

And in five years time, the "I think that weirdo wearing the Google Glass is filming me!" perception will disappear because the weirdo is filming you through a contact lense that is transmitting the feed to the phone in his pocket. You won't even know you're being filmed.

Diabetics can wear contacts, though you do need to ensure your optician agrees. especially if you have eye complications.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22537249

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/ask-the-optician/contact-lenses-for-diabetics-%E2%80%93-recommendations/

This is fascinating research, well to me as a diabetic it is, but smacks of partly blue sky research and partly pushing the boundaries on what they can do with a pinch of great PR. In the general press its hailed as a great advancement and Google are great for doing it. priceless free advertsising.

• Reply 68 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

But why even start at a very limited form except to get good PR?

A dead thread now, but yeah, everything Google does seems like a PR exercise.

To top it all, I read a couple of days back that Diabetics are specifically advised NOT to use contact lens! So, it looks a bit like making electric combs for bald people.

I still do feel the tech is pretty cool.

• Reply 69 of 70
    A dead thread now, but yeah, everything Google does seems like a PR exercise.

To top it all, I read a couple of days back that Diabetics are specifically advised NOT to use contact lens! So, it looks a bit like making electric combs for bald people.

I still do feel the tech is pretty cool.

The tech is cool but isn't useful to the majority of diabetics.
  • Reply 70 of 70

Testing mod queue