Review: SteelSeries Stratus portable wireless gaming controller for iPhone & iPad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Forgive me for noticing this, but aren't you libelling the company/product here? I mean you admit you've never used it, but yet you claim facts that you have no way of knowing.

For what it's worth. I find any touchscreen controls to be too cramped, but I have more than an octave range so small screens like the iPhone are already slightly problematic.

Forgive him, he seems to be in a particularly bad mood today.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Forgive him, he seems to be in a particularly bad mood today.

How about you not speak for other people? Tell me how either of his statements make any sense.

• Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did you read the article?

Well, that’s impossible.

I did read the article, but I don't feel that repeating the subjective opinions of another is an excuse. Also for what it's worth I don't mean any possible touchscreen, I mean all touchscreen phones. I don't want my fingers in the way of the action. Small controllers like this are pretty cool I feel, although the lack of a retaining mechanism is a big downside.

• Reply 24 of 39
    Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

I did read the article, but I don't feel that repeating the subjective opinions of another is an excuse.

Still waiting for that guy to confirm that he owns a product not yet released, too.

Also for what it's worth I don't mean any possible touchscreen, I mean all touchscreen phones.

You should have said that, then.

• Reply 25 of 39
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's not achieving the effect they want either, which is that they all work the same way and with all games that implement support. They stipulate that all buttons are analog, even buttons that normally aren't on other controllers. As Microsoft has shown with the 360 controller, it only works if one company does the hardware because developers are working to the exact same setup and games have a certification label for that one controller and corresponding layout. Developers simply aren't going to spend $400 on controllers to make sure they all work properly in various setups.

Mobile users have shown that gaming is the most profitable category by a long way:

http://www.newzoo.com/insights/distimo-2012-report-games-account-for-66-of-total-revenues-from-apps/

but Apple seems reluctant to put too much interest in it. Microsoft has an internal games studio that owns franchises:

http://www.microsoft-careers.com/go/Microsoft-Games-Studios-Jobs/44366/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Studios

They build wired and wireless controllers that work across Windows, XBox and their Surface tablets:

They certify games that support the controller. Their A7 chip is really advanced, even the very latest Tegra K1 that was showing off the advanced graphics demos is only marginally faster:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/174592-tegra-k1-benchmarks-show-better-cpu-and-gpu-performance-than-snapdragon-800-and-apple-a7

Visually, it should perform on par. This is fast enough to run every PS3 and 360 game and what do we get? Tomb Raider 1. Apple is the only company that does the end-to-end business model completely and they don't take control of the most profitable software category. There's a lot of revenue in the games business:

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2614915

Mobile only takes a small part so far. With a bit of effort, modern AAA games, compelling hardware, they could push another $10b in app sales, increasing their part another $3b for the year in software alone and having the games helps persuade parents to buy hardware for their kids.

I am still hoping the game controls real goal are to pave the way to a more powerfull Apple TV with gaming apps. But I been waiting for this for so long my expectations are not very high. An Apple TV with a A7 could be a decent game console.

• Reply 26 of 39
    How about you not speak for other people? Tell me how either of his statements make any sense.

In my defense, I said seems. And getting too upset in the comment section can be bad for your blood pressure. You should seriously think about either using a stress ball or popping bubble wrap while you read the comments.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    A/B/X/Y buttons [B]again[/B]? I'm tired of all this dullness / lack of inventive. Pass.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    lilsmirk wrote: »
    A/B/X/Y buttons again? I'm tired of all this dullness / lack of inventive. Pass.

That’s Apple's setup not their's. This link was posted earlier but you obviously missed it.

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/ServicesDiscovery/Conceptual/GameControllerPG/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40013276-CH1-SW1
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

In my defense, I said seems. And getting too upset in the comment section can be bad for your blood pressure. You should seriously think about either using a stress ball or popping bubble wrap while you read the comments.

Nah. How about people not post lies instead?

Originally Posted by LilSmirk View Post

A/B/X/Y buttons again? I'm tired of all this dullness / lack of inventive. Pass.

Are you crazy? ABXY has been the standard for decades. How is it “dull”? How is anything else “inventive”?

• Reply 30 of 39

If you figure out a way to get people to stop posting lies on the Internet I'll be glad. But, until then there's always bubble wrap. :)
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:

I didn't lie for what it's worth, yet you claimed to know facts about an unreleased controller based only on a third party review and libelled the company as a result.

Please don't throw stones in the Apple Store.

• Reply 32 of 39
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd totally missed it, thanks for the heads up.
    Still, I know it sounds crazy, but I was expecting something better than just A/B/X/Y from Apple. Setting up a new button naming configuration would have given more personality to Apple's gaming platform ;-)
  • Reply 33 of 39

yet you claimed to know facts about an unreleased controller based only on a third party review

Guess you don’t get this, or the concept of libel.

• Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:

Guess you don’t get this, or the concept of libel.

You made derogatory statements about a product without the ability to fall back on any defences. I may not be a solicitor / lawyer but I know a statement when I see it. Regardless this is not the place for this discussion and so I won't contest it anymore.

I can see the benefit of this sort of product but I think I'll wait and see what the market produces.

• Reply 35 of 39

You made derogatory statements about a product without the ability to fall back on any defences.

Read the article.

Regardless this is not the place for this discussion and so I won't contest it anymore.

Well, it’s the only place for it, but since your statement is ludicrous, I’m glad you’re giving it up.

• Reply 36 of 39
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    lilsmirk wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd totally missed it, thanks for the heads up.
    Still, I know it sounds crazy, but I was expecting something better than just A/B/X/Y from Apple. Setting up a new button naming configuration would have given more personality to Apple's gaming platform ;-)

Some things just aren't worth changing, it's what we've known for a long time like the keyboard. Apple uses the same layout as everyone else.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Marvin wrote: »
    It's not achieving the effect they want either, which is that they all work the same way and with all games that implement support. They stipulate that all buttons are analog, even buttons that normally aren't on other controllers. As Microsoft has shown with the 360 controller, it only works if one company does the hardware because developers are working to the exact same setup and games have a certification label for that one controller and corresponding layout. Developers simply aren't going to spend $400 on controllers to make sure they all work properly in various setups.

Mobile users have shown that gaming is the most profitable category by a long way:

http://www.newzoo.com/insights/distimo-2012-report-games-account-for-66-of-total-revenues-from-apps/

but Apple seems reluctant to put too much interest in it. Microsoft has an internal games studio that owns franchises:

http://www.microsoft-careers.com/go/Microsoft-Games-Studios-Jobs/44366/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Studios

They build wired and wireless controllers that work across Windows, XBox and their Surface tablets:

[VIDEO]

They certify games that support the controller. Their A7 chip is really advanced, even the very latest Tegra K1 that was showing off the advanced graphics demos is only marginally faster:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/174592-tegra-k1-benchmarks-show-better-cpu-and-gpu-performance-than-snapdragon-800-and-apple-a7

Visually, it should perform on par. This is fast enough to run every PS3 and 360 game and what do we get? Tomb Raider 1. Apple is the only company that does the end-to-end business model completely and they don't take control of the most profitable software category. There's a lot of revenue in the games business:

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2614915

Mobile only takes a small part so far. With a bit of effort, modern AAA games, compelling hardware, they could push another $10b in app sales, increasing their part another $3b for the year in software alone and having the games helps persuade parents to buy hardware for their kids.

I think there are some unknowns that make everyone a bit reluctant to give it a serious try - even MS who does have inhouse and exclusive-contracted developers. Or, realistically, Sony - all of PSP and (probably) most Vita games could run on modern smart device.

How many owners will buy full-price game (considering that smartphones and tablets are not primarily purchased for gaming)?

How will distribution work? Most purchased smart devices, I believe, are still 16Gb. Some can have additional flash storage. Gran Turismo 6 is about 16GB. GTA5 should be about the same. Final Fantasy 13 was around full single-layer BD, around 25GB I think. Many new games come on more than one DVD.

Controls. Consoles come with 100% standardised controls for the generation. PC, well, mouse/kbd are reasonably standard (and all games are easy to configure controls). Apple has standardised controller interface, if I understood correctly - but controllers do not come with smart devices by default, and 3rd party vary in number of buttons, analogue sticks etc.

I had a funny little discussion with a friend who recently started playing Real Racing on iPad Air, and is very hooked up. He is a real petrol-head in real life, and wealthy enough to be able to drive BMW 5 and BMW K 1300 GT bike... and is now talking about Porsche Macan (hate him! :). Knowing his driving history, I have encouraged him to check on latest Forza and Gran Turismo games - he hasn't been gaming for a while, I'm pretty sure he would be pleased. His response was why? when iPad Air hardware should be more than competitive with likes of PS3 and X360.

So we went into little discussion about game development. Polyphony Digital took sweet 6 years to develop GT5, and had budget of US$60,000,000. GT6 took not much less time than that. In that time, they were fully pampered by Sony; much as I have read, there was not even a presure on them to hurry up with development and release dates.

But. GT is the biggest selling game series in the world. Sony knows that they will sell couple of millions for full price, and another couple of millions when game goes Platinum. So they can pamper developer, pay for telemetry from Yokohama and other real world car-related marques to develop advanced in-game physics model, or even pay for laser scanning of race tracks for correct geometry and small details like bumps and curbs.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

If it was $30, had the build quality of a first-party console controller and was backed up was implemented in a wider variety of games in a standardised way I'd buy one.

• Reply 39 of 39
    Nice to see this extraordinary product,I would like to use this product once and want to ask you that, Are these parts easily available in the market or not?

Thanks

iphone spare parts wholesale