Verizon Wireless adds 1.7M subscribers in Q4, 70% now have smartphones

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Verizon appears especially proud of the completion of its 4G LTE rollout, with the company repeatedly referring to the milestone during Tuesday's earnings announcement conference call. More than 300 million Americans now have access to Verizon-provided 4G LTE services in over 500 markets, accounting for 99 percent of Verizon's existing 3G coverage area.

VZ keeps saying that since AT&T been saying their 4G network covers 99% of the US population. Yeah VZ has nice red all over their US map but they seem to be missing 15% of the population I bet when you zoom in to those map there are areas which the decide not to cover.

I wonder is VZ mobile is doing what FIOS does, they only put fiber into higher income areas they are not interested in servicing they lower income areas. VZ has to cover more than they show since those with higher incomes do travel near to into lower income areas.

• Reply 22 of 25
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

"The late-year additions account for nearly half of the 4.1 million net new subscribers Verizon says they added in 2013."

Hm. "Late year additions".

Whatever could have happened "late in the year" that would account for a bump in subscribers?

It's a mystery!

• Reply 23 of 25
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    VZ keeps saying that since AT&T been saying their 4G network covers 99% of the US population. Yeah VZ has nice red all over their US map but they seem to be missing 15% of the population I bet when you zoom in to those map there are areas which the decide not to cover.

I wonder is VZ mobile is doing what FIOS does, they only put fiber into higher income areas they are not interested in servicing they lower income areas. VZ has to cover more than they show since those with higher incomes do travel near to into lower income areas.

Rolling out LTE is upgrading the current in place network, whereas with FiOS they're running new cable, putting up new poles, and wiring up a subscriber's residence all over again. Big difference.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pdq2 wrote: »
    "The late-year additions account for nearly half of the 4.1 million net new subscribers Verizon says they added in 2013."

Hm. "Late year additions".

Whatever could have happened "late in the year" that would account for a bump in subscribers?

It's a mystery!

It would be more clear cut if the iPhone had just been made available to VZW.