Apple releases two 'Your Verse' iPad Air ads

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    It would be interesting to correlate opinions about this ad to the viewers' tastes. Are people who like poetry, watching Nature on PBS or listening to classical music liable to have a more favorable opinion? To whom is the ad directed?

Bear in mind the highly successful iPod/iTunes commercials some years back. Who was the audience?
  • Reply 22 of 32
    hey i agree this ads, apple is great brand and every time they want to impress and i love it. they fit more with Apple than other ones I've seen. I feel inspired, but since I'm a procrastinator I'll do something about it tomorrow. i have seen all brands in China wholesales site (http://www.chinavasion.com/) there i find many products and all are amazing and new brands. so i love it this all.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Last week I saw an ad showing people watching movies (with a emphasis on Pixar movies) and doing other stuff on their tablets with some inspiring words and imagery.  I thought "oh look it's that new Apple ad."  So I was surprised and disappointed when the tag line at the end was Google Play.  Google has definitely stolen a page from the Apple playbook on this one.

Update: here's a link to a story that includes the ad.  http://ausdroid.net/2014/01/03/google-releases-a-great-google-play-commercial-but-wont-let-you-see-it-officially/

• Reply 24 of 32
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    kibitzer wrote: »
    It would be interesting to correlate opinions about this ad to the viewers' tastes. Are people who like poetry, watching Nature on PBS or listening to classical music liable to have a more favorable opinion? To whom is the ad directed?

Bear in mind the highly successful iPod/iTunes commercials some years back. Who was the audience?

It's probably not the case that people dislike poetry or music but people who are more interested in business, finance, engineering etc just won't care for it much. Didn't Apple run a 'Think indifferent' campaign for them at one point? Or was that Microsoft? I just searched for this figuring someone had to have made something and found this on Youtube:

[VIDEO]

I think some people just want Apple to be a successful business. Validation for their commitment to capitalism and consider advertising to be just another investment that exists to get a measurable financial return. I find it funny how some of the most valuable companies in the world are run by people who think the polar opposite of that.

There seems to exist a very persistent divider that cuts down the middle of society and it's most evident in politics. Between the selfish and the selfless, creative and clinical, liberal and conservative. There are crossovers but you tend to find the main groupings go together.

People who are interested more in business and finance aim for success as far it applies to themselves regardless of others. It's about numbers, competition, percentages, growth and focus on possession or ownership.

More creative types don't really have the same drive. The reward doesn't come from ownership and amassing possessions, it's all about the expression. This likely contributes to this group being poorer.

The people at Apple are not business types - remember the line 'we don't wear suits, we don't even own suits':

http://www.businessinsider.com/steve-jobs-were-apple-we-dont-wear-suits-we-dont-even-own-suits-2010-7

Tim owns a suit and wears it, which is understandable as he was SVP of operations but he has the utmost respect for creativity and has far more qualities of the creative category than the other.

When Apple puts out ads like this, it's not just about the audience. It's a mark of their own identity. They have stated this publicly many times over the years. They have to avoid forgetting who they are and what matters to them. The business-focused people just want more growth, more products, more options, more money and these ads won't satisfy that.

This is the quality I respect most about Apple. I don't want to see them ever become a company solely focused on growth and earnings because that's not what people respect them for. People in the financial world use a phrase 'net worth' and it's intended as a measure of value but it is calculated by takings. If Steve Jobs has taken ownership of $5b and Carl Icahn has taken $5b then they are given an equivalent net worth. This is a corruption of the true meaning of value as far as it applies to people because it is self-value. If I own $5b, my worth as it applies to other people is zero if I keep hold of it. The value becomes the potential that I won't hold onto it and use it to give to other people, increasing their 'net worth'. That's the important part: giving, not taking.

Steve Jobs' net worth wasn't his takings of over $5b, it wasn't even his potential to give it away. It was in the changes he was instrumental in bringing about that millions of people benefit from every day. The advert is nothing to do with poetry, that's just a frame for the question 'What will your verse be?'. The iPad is their latest contribution to the world, what will yours be? That question doesn't have a limited demographic. It may have been framed differently so that people recognise what's being asked but it couldn't really have been spelled out more clearly.

This ad is who they are, they are creative, they respect creativity and passion and they've contributed positively to the world. While they have $150b in the bank and take in $40b every year, it's what they've given that makes them one of the most valuable companies in the world and they should never forget it.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This is the quality I respect most about Apple. I don't want to see them ever become a company solely focused on growth and earnings because that's not what people respect them for. People in the financial world use a phrase 'net worth' and it's intended as a measure of value but it is calculated by takings. If Steve Jobs has taken ownership of $5b and Carl Icahn has taken $5b then they are given an equivalent net worth. This is a corruption of the true meaning of value as far as it applies to people because it is self-value. If I own $5b, my worth as it applies to other people is zero if I keep hold of it. The value becomes the potential that I won't hold onto it and use it to give to other people, increasing their 'net worth'. That's the important part: giving, not taking.

You are reading way too much into a specific financial term.  "Net worth" is not a judgement, it's a specific measure.  If own a million dollar home, but owe $900,000 on it and have $100,000 in credit card debt (and no other assets or debts), my net worth is zero.  Am I "worthless?"  Would a "financial person" say I have no worth?  Of course not.  And nothing about this definition involves "taking" or "giving."

And when people say Apple is the most valuable company in the world (when that is true), it's only based on the current share price and the number of shares outstanding.  It doesn't mean "if there were one company in the world that I could save and all the others will disappear, Apple is the one I would save."

Also, I find it interesting that Google's Google Play "heart" ad (see my prior post just above), tugs on all the same heart strings that Apple's does.  Does that mean that that's who Google is too?

• Reply 26 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I too think the narration is weak. The ad is not about promoting Apple's philosophy or innovation. It is clearly about selling the iPad. In most of the use cases in the video, the users have gone to some rather unbelievable extremes, on some mountain top, under water or storm chasing. Some of the uses depicted require specialized accessories. In my opinion an iPad is not really the best tool for professional photography which is prominently featured in several of the cases. I'd say pretty much none of the use cases are very typical. I much preferred the previous iPad ads that showed the device being used in a manner that would appeal to average people rather than these unusual usage scenarios.

• Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's probably not the case  ...... it's what they've given that makes them one of the most valuable companies in the world and they should never forget it.

(I redacted most of your post only for the sake of brevity.) Many thanks for the thought that you put into it. I agree with you on some points and differ on others, as are others who are commenting on this thread. We probably can agree that Apple is partial to making a thoughtful cultural impact, which links to building interest among a particular portion of existing and potential customers. They're not trying to appeal to the consumer segment that responds to breakdancers who spin around and flap the screens open and shut on their Windows 8 touchscreen laptops.

• Reply 28 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mstone wrote: »
    I too think the narration is weak. The ad is not about promoting Apple's philosophy or innovation. It is clearly about selling the iPad. In most of the use cases in the video, the users have gone to some rather unbelievable extremes, on some mountain top, under water or storm chasing. Some of the uses depicted require specialized accessories. In my opinion an iPad is not really the best tool for professional photography which is prominently featured in several of the cases. I'd say pretty much none of the use cases are very typical. I much preferred the previous iPad ads that showed the device being used in a manner that would appeal to average people rather than these unusual usage scenarios.

What matters more, your opinion or the people who actually are using the iPad in those situations?
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

What matters more, your opinion or the people who actually are using the iPad in those situations?

Uh, no... what matters more is the effect the ad has on sales. Up is good... sideways and down are bad.

• Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

If there were any truth in advertising, these ads would show people blogging from the toilet on their iPads. Might not be inspirational, but I gotta say it's been one of my favorite uses for a tablet. :-)

By the way, your mom has been trying to reach you. She wants to make sure that you clean both your hands and your iPad screen afterwards!

• Reply 31 of 32
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    malax wrote: »
    Also, I find it interesting that Google's Google Play "heart" ad (see my prior post just above), tugs on all the same heart strings that Apple's does.  Does that mean that that's who Google is too?

I wouldn't say it's particularly interesting or surprising that they put out these kind of ads too, the people who work at Google are very much like the people at Apple. That's why I described Apple as one of the most valuable companies in the world and not exclusively, Google is another. They just go about their business in a different way. The advertising on its own isn't enough either. Microsoft could very well hire an ad agency that gave them a meaningful ad and it wouldn't mean anything because it doesn't match their business. Apple's ads are meaningful because they are true to themselves and they are consistent.
  • Reply 32 of 32

It would be interesting to correlate opinions about this ad to the viewers' tastes. Are people who like poetry, watching Nature on PBS or listening to classical music liable to have a more favorable opinion? To whom is the ad directed